The Official Movie Thread

@Ars...never seen it, but that seems like a film that I would lose interest in rather quickly

I watched a film the other night called "Pusher". Nothing spectacular. Drug dealer owes money. People that owe him money aren't paying. His life is threatened numerous times. His life spirals out of control. Yada yada yada. All leading up to a lackluster ending. crap.

I love independent films and so after hearing nothing but good reviews for the move Amelie (english title), and hearing the exact quote: "a top 5 film for sure" at least ten times, I downloaded the movie and decided to watch it. Well I watched about 35mins of it, and had to stop. I almost never ever stop watching a movie, only on the rarest of occasions but I just find it to be quite obnoxious, especially the narrator. Should I bother watching the rest of the movie?
"Amelie" is one of my top 10 films of all time, but i liked it a lot from the first minute, so i can't give you a definite answer, except telling you to give it another chance. Every single thing in this film is perfect.

When you watch it in english is it tranlated or it'S still in french with subtitles? I saw it in french and thought the movie was pretty good.

I don't know, I might give Amelie another chance. As I said before, I found it really obnoxious. It seemed like they tried so hard to be original and (as Seraphim said) "quirky." I didn't mind some of it, but it seems like they took that idea and just used it to death. I also couldn't stand Amelie's character...And I only watch movies in their original langauge, with subtitles.

I was curious...I speak French so I didn't know how it was in english. I would love to be able to watch all the movies in their original languages...you always lose something in the translation and it's never 100% accurate. Too bad I can only do that with French and English movies.

I was curious...I speak French so I didn't know how it was in english. I would love to be able to watch all the movies in their original languages...you always lose something in the translation and it's never 100% accurate. Too bad I can only do that with French and English movies.

I agree, but I don't mind subtitles though because they allow you to 'interpret' the movie, almost like a book but with constant images. And at the end of the film, its like I hardly even noticed I had watched it in another language. Never, will I watch a movie with voice-overs, those are just awful and the voice-acting is usually lame.

Also, another movie I watched a few days ago because I haven't seen it for a while was "Preaching to the Perverted." It's not a dirty film or anything, its got and underlying humour to it in it but its not a comedy. It's about a completely straight-edge guy (Peter) who gets a job working for British Parliment doing errands and such. British Parliment is trying to shut down London's 'sexual underground.' So they get Peter to go in their club and get video "evidence" of bodily harm and whatever nonsense else. However he develops a relationship with the leader of it all, Mistress Tanya who is played by Guinevere Turner btw :p I really enjoyed the movie, 9/10.

I just saw The Fountain recently, I was truly amazed at the art direction of the film, it was simply astounding. The narrative was a bit harder than it needed to be to ascertain but is highly rewarding.

*SPOILERS*

For instance, it took me awhile to figure out how the 3 storylines worked with each other. At first I though the Imperial Spanish past was simply Izzie's book, the present was the main narrative and the future with the Treeship was the internal battle Tomas' character was facing having to deal with Izzie's impending death.

As it turns out, the future in which Tomas appears as a monk within a bubble Treeship ascending the stars to the Xibalba (sp?) Nebula is the film's 'present' timeframe. The flashes back to when he was a surgeon and before Izzie died was the past that haunted him. I was right, however, about Izzie's novel it was simply a book she wrote to display her feelings about life and death to Tommy so that he could let her go. That is why she wanted him to finish the last chapter. Hence, when Tomas in the future finally realizes that death is not the end, and accepts her death (and ultimately his as well) he metaphorically finishes the book. Thus, we see future Tomas collide with the Tomas from her novel in a flashback showcasing his final understanding of life by accepting death (the flowers devouring him after he drinks the sap, the allusion to which Izzie hinted at earlier: death as a form of creation or rebirth).

As I said before the film could have been assembled better so that its timelines were more easily digestible, but it is still a great film as it stands.

I also saw Children of Men too, another top notch film. Highly recommended.

I was astounded by The Fountain as well. The fact that only 2% of the film is CGI blows me away. The shots of the nebula are actually yeast cells, and then Aronofsky just put the footage of Hugh Jackman and the tree on top of it. I only wish that Aronofsky had made the film longer...it felt too rushed. but other than that, I really really enjoyed the film.

when my friend and I saw it in the theater, we were the only people in the theater. it was pretty cool/depressing at the same time.

Death Aflame, your interpretation is pretty much exactly what I've come to understand, but I have a few questions still:

What about when future Tommy flashes back to Izzi wanting to go for a walk and he actually runs after her? And after the nebula explodes you see the seedlings from the tree sprout and the ghost Izzi grabs one and gives it to Tommy (metaphorically). It seems in the last shot of the movie that Tommy has accepted Izzi's death, as he says goodbye to her after he drops the seed in her grave. This would stop the future from ever happening. Do you think its just in his mind, realizing what he should have done?

Also, when Tommy first realizes to use the tree on the monkey, he looks up through the window in the ceiling with the light shining through and snow falling down onto it, which kinda turns into the nebula, and he suddenly gets inspired and realizes to use the tree. What do you think this part means?

** One more thing: Just before the Nebula explodes, when it goes all black, you can hear sounds like birds and such. What do you think thats all about?

This film has become one of my favorites ever, partly because there are still a few unanswered questions I have about it. Its also fun noticing new little things every time, like how Izzi has the same candles in their room as the queen does in her chamber. And of course the lighting being very symbolic. Great great film.

* Oh yeah, I found a cool short thing on youtube showing off how they did some of the effects. The shots of future Tommy floating around were actually filmed underwater. Very cool.

Movies I watched yesterday:

Twin Sisters (good movie, I recommend it)
Stalingrad

Both are about WWII, but I was severely disappointed with Stalingrad. I rented these movies from a dodgy place in Belfast and I was disappointed to realize that Stalingrad was poorly dubbed. English men attempting German accents = not cool. It definitely took something away from the films.

Movies I rented for tonight (anybody sense that I'm a little bored here?):

Europa Europa
Saints and Soldiers
Joyeux Noel

If Europa Europa or Joyeux Noel are poorly dubbed I'm going to ask for my money back. :( Too bad they don't tell you whether or not they are subbed or dubbed. It would save trouble. Sitting through a dubbed movie is like pulling hair out.

I watched The City of Lost Children last night and thought it was pretty fucking awesome. If you love Terry Gilliam's work (specifically Brazil and Time Bandits), then you'll most likely love this film. The visuals, sets, and costumes are all outstanding. It has moments of Gilliam-esque silliness, and a nice storyline as well. fun times