The Official Movie Thread

Anyone want to enlighten me on more youtube available horror movies from the 70s/80s? Ive seen a lot and surely most of the big ones... But theres so goddamn many...

stagevu.com has a pretty big collection of horror if you know what you're looking for

The Tenant - 1976

Messiah of Evil - 1973 skip the first minute and 28 seconds

The Story of Ricky - 1991 not horror but plenty of gore

Messiah of Evil was very interesting. Extremely atmospheric and goddamn the theater scene made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. Will have to check out the other two.

Was thinking about Messiah of Evil to the point i watched it again. Was one of the most stylistic, offbeat zombie movies ive ever seen. Reminds me of another movie i really like, Pontypool.

Currently watching Red Vs Dead and i have to say, i havent seen a zombie movie like this in a long time. Brutal non cgi violence, a great sense of humor... This is way better than the first and fun as fuck.

I've been attempting to watch Roger Corman era Poe adaptations. Finished House of Usher the other night, pretty solid. Going to finish Masque of Red Death probably tonight and then I got the Pit and the Pendulum next. All I got.

Im watching Funny Games 1997 for the third time and this will undoubtedly be the final time. Its preachy art cinema that i really dont find myself enjoying. The villian breaking the fourth wall flat out kills this one for me. Its better than Youre Next, but doesnt really hold a candle to The Strangers for me.

I guess i really dont like movies using horror to try and get some point across unless its campy. (That shitty movie where William Defoe gets hit in the dick with a 2x4 then jacked off until he cums blood is garbage too)

Watched Fury today and I'm not impressed a bit. Just another generic world war movie and shooting Nazis like they're some stupid little pigs running around always makes me feel like I'm dropping some IQ points. No doubt this kind of shit still amuses a whole bunch of Jews and commoners though.

Im watching Funny Games 1997 for the third time and this will undoubtedly be the final time. Its preachy art cinema that i really dont find myself enjoying. The villian breaking the fourth wall flat out kills this one for me. Its better than Youre Next, but doesnt really hold a candle to The Strangers for me.

I guess i really dont like movies using horror to try and get some point across unless its campy. (That shitty movie where William Defoe gets hit in the dick with a 2x4 then jacked off until he cums blood is garbage too)

meh @ haneke in general.

Watched Fury today and I'm not impressed a bit. Just another generic world war movie and shooting Nazis like they're some stupid little pigs running around always makes me feel like I'm dropping some IQ points. No doubt this kind of shit still amuses a whole bunch of Jews and commoners though.

I thought it was an interesting(realistic) perspective of soldiers in a unit, not necessarily "oh my gawd kill da nazis they are evalllll"

I thought it was an interesting(realistic) perspective of soldiers in a unit, not necessarily "oh my gawd kill da nazis they are evalllll"

I saw that movie.
It was good but 2/3 in it got unrealistic.
Don't want to spoil it for anyone but I'm sure the SS troops would have taken that tank out much faster and easier than that.
Totally get the Nazis like they're some stupid little pigs running around critique.
But it's heavy on the realism till then. Younger people, "shot'em up" lovers, might have problems with the non non-stop action.
I'm sure the US-troop were no angels in Germany. Who the hell would be in war? Don't get much "oh my gawd the US troops are totally the good guys" here.

It's been awhile but I really feel like it focused more on that tank squad more than anything else, and especially when that new guy came in. I thought it was better than most war films though in that it didnt seem like propaganda

It's been awhile but I really feel like it focused more on that tank squad more than anything else, and especially when that new guy came in. I thought it was better than most war films though in that it didnt seem like propaganda

yeah
Even though propaganda is much more subtle/crafty these days those who claim this to be, have some explaining to do.

V for Vendetta

This was an interesting movie, in some ways it seemed a bit like a combination of Fatherland and Nineteen Eighty Four. I haven't seen the film of Nineteen Eighty Four though, just read the book. I think the main importance difference between it and Fatherland, apart from the obvious different settings, was that V for Vendetta is a bit more pro terrorism. I don't mean that like a Fox News announcer might say it, I mean, it is pro terrorism in a kind of "smart" way. It also involves false flag terrorist ideas. The portrayal of an England without minorities was interesting as well. I think the problem with films dealing with minorities in the West is that it's completely unacceptable, in many ways, to show them behaving badly at all. All you can do is show white people acting like Nazis, it's a bit of tired script and it shows that nobody really knows how to deal with the prospect of minorities ceasing to be minorities, or at least the demographics getting a bit more like Lebanon.

Good Points:

> Relatively original ideas, for a film
> Few stereotypical characters
> Addresses ideas that need to be addressed, not saying I agree with the movie makers though

Bad Points:

> Natalie Portman's acting is quite bad
> Some plot holes, unless I just didn't understand
> The dystopia is one of those typical ones that British films tend to have, like Thunderpants, that are incredibly childish in their feel, I don't know what it is, if it's the colours, the acting or what, but it's a far cry from kitchen sink dramas about miners
> It seems to have been made to be dual purpose: kids action superhero film and deep thought provoking film, well it isn't especially brilliant at either, just decent as the later, but quite bad as the former.

7/10

The War Lord (1965)

I quite liked this but I think a lot of people wouldn't. The thing about it is that it's never really boring, which is impressive given its age and genre, or maybe just age. The battle scenes are all pretty good, better than some you see in much later films. The production values aren't great, but it does what it needs to do. Quite good really, for what it is.

7/10

Sorcerer

This was really amazing. One of the best films I've ever seen. Brilliant film making, brilliant story, just the right amount of tension, story and action. Wipes the floor with most modern films. Funny how it didn't do very well and few seem to have heard of it. Really, really good. It isn't about a "Sorcerer" btw, just so you know. That isn't really a spoiler.

10/10

To Live and Die in LA

This is really rather good, but it kind of makes me feel sick of the 80s, despite not existing whatsoever during that decade. The amorality and everything gets a bit stuck in the back of your throat and it reminds you of it being in pretty much all the other similar 80s films. Anyway, very well made action thriller. Better than most by far.

8/10

This was really shit. Here are all the main issues:

> Every single character is a stereotype
> It's overly long, with lots of repetition in terms of the action
> The underlying story is much more simple than the film makers seem to understand
> They massively over do the "only just making it" action scene, there are about 10 of them
> Nothing interesting happens at any point
> CGI wank fest, you don't need that many scenes of destruction in a film
> No real love interest
> The shitty All American speeches
> The music sounds like it's been in about 500 different Hollywood films since the mid 90s

No real good points, but the acting isn't especially bad. Basically it's your standard awful family movie. I would have been really pissed off if I'd seen this in a cinema and had to sit through it all at once.

4/10

I see it's by the guy who did Stargate, he's one to avoid then, Roland Emmerich.

The Graduate

Decent enough film, nothing amazing. Upper class 1960s America comes off as very claustrophobic and regimented, I suppose that's part of the point. It's decent as a kind of coming of age film, better than the vulgar 80s and 90s ones anyway, but it's not a masterpiece. He is kind of degenerate and he has unreasonable expectations of people.

7/10

Until the End of the World

This is a weird film. I watched the 4 Hour directors cut, which is, predictably, far too long to be reasonably watchable. There are good points about this film though. The flow of the film makes it seem more like life than a standard film. There are very good ideas in the film and mostly good acting. The bad parts are that a lot of tedious things happen and the minor characters are as bad as jar jar binks. The reason why this is a good film is the ideas, it doesn't tell a narrative badly, but it's not done in a gripping way at all.

7/10

Stargate

This was a bit of a let down. Nothing special really.

5/10

Three Days of the Condor

Quite a good 70s Spy Thriller. Faye Dunaway is cute a hostage. Quite good acting and decent story.

7/10

Terminator Salvation

I thought this was pretty good, better than T3 anyway. There maybe is too much action and too little story though.

7/10

snowpiercer

I want to play a game:
Move is full of references: a shoe hurled - attack on George Bush.
Wizard of Oz and Willy Wonka combine to form Wilford.
The murder by knife recalls the agonizingly slow killing of the jewish guy in Saving Private Ryan.
John Hurt’s character, Gilliam - director Terry Gilliam.
Mason’s henchman, Franco cannot seemingly be killed - cyborg from The Terminator.

What else?

(And this got my spidey senses tingeling but can't really recollect:)
snowpiercer-upperclass.jpg