The Power metal thread

I've been listening to Europe's The Final Countdown lately, and it's pretty fucking sweet. I love that adventurous, sci-fi-ish sensibility that so many '80s metal bands had. I know Europe aren't technically 'power metal', but they basically have the same mentality, and probably a great deal of influence.

Has anyone listened to bands that have a similar power/glam sound to Europe's? I'm really interested in hearing more of that.

Seven Doors Hotel is the ultimate Europe song! Bands that sound like Europe, hmm, I'm probably too tired to give it enough thought but Iron Savior's Unification has touches of glam, lots of power, loads of sci-fi and generally rips and is of course from Europe:lol:

HammerFall have some pretty awesome songs - though it seems for all the good material they have there's just as much cheesy, overblown, disneyfied bullshit.

Seven Doors Hotel is the ultimate Europe song! Bands that sound like Europe, hmm, I'm probably too tired to give it enough thought but Iron Savior's Unification has touches of glam, lots of power, loads of sci-fi and generally rips and is of course from Europe:lol:

Sounds awesome. Thanks for the rec!

Sounds awesome. Thanks for the rec!
They dont really sound like Europe so I hope I'm not misleading you but if you like Twisted Tower Dire you might be interested to know that Piet Sielck (main man behind Iron Savior) has produced Crest of the Martyrs and generally been a big influence on them(TTD). Kai Hansen was also a big part of Iron Savior's Unification album, IMO the standout track there is Eye to Eye.:headbang:

I was never a huge Hammerfall fan. They were just too whiny and stereotypical for me. I like power metal bands that have an original edge (not to bash Hammerfall; I just don't dig that rehashed style).

For me, it's all about:
Kamelot
Kiuas
Falconer
Sabaton
Pyramaze (sometimes...)
Iced Earth
Human Fortress (awesome and underrated band)

And Norther is awesome when it comes to melodic death metal.

Except for Blind Guardian, I don't know why other "Power" metal bands exist, because "Kamelot" wipes the floor with all of them. Period.

'Ghost Opera' is one of the most original, incredible records I've heard in a while. I was kind of disappointed because a lot of people I talked to didn't like it. They said that it was too far-removed from previous Kamelot; like they didn't like the progressive route the band was taking. I thought the record was incredible, definitely on par with everything they've done before. I don't think it's necessarily better (it's definitely not "bad"), it's just different from everything they've done before.

And "Blucher" is just a fuckin' awesome song.

Well, Falconer and Kiuas are both awesome power metal acts that definitely have developed a very "non-power metal" kind of sound; but they're from Sweden and Finland. The Scandinavians know how to fucking rock.

The epitome of Euro Flower metal is Freedom Call. I admit that I listen to them and their songs are sometimes stuck in my head, but gods they are so cheesy.

everyone here would probably hate it because its too flowery but manticora's 8 deadly sins is fucking awesome. the rest of the albums are not really that appealing to me though.