The Shitposting Thread

Also: tomorrow I'm getting my ass kicked.
Someone taught me some basics of tree climbing with their gear and I made the "mistake" of telling the general foremen, since I haven't been working in my training book for even the groundsperson work. They are setting me up with a crew to properly learn how to do this shit, and its gonna kick my ass.

Honestly? I'm excited for it. I gotta learn some time, and you don't really properly learn just by books.
the safety gear will prevent you from getting killed
so i think you should be okay

Reactions: Sophii
Speaking of:
Climbed my first real tree. I was super nervous and excited at the same time.
I put together my equipment...abd my spikes were backwards, and weren't fully tightened. So going up there was difficult to say the least. BUT, I did it, and for my first tree I'm proud of myself. I'll have to keep it up and get better every day. Might have to start working out too so I can build up more arm strength.

Reactions: Slammed
The guy who taught me how to fell a tree never used spikes. He could climb the tree with the saw hanging over his shoulder, two ropes, one for him and one for limbs and that was it. These days he's 72 and can still climb a tree better than me but he does use hard hats and a few of safety items.

The guy who taught me how to fell a tree never used spikes. He could climb the tree with the saw hanging over his shoulder, two ropes, one for him and one for limbs and that was it. These days he's 72 and can still climb a tree better than me but he does use hard hats and a few of safety items.

Safety is the most important thing, man. I'm actually impressed with the gear we use. I gotta trust it more.

Safety is the most important thing, man. I'm actually impressed with the gear we use. I gotta trust it more.

For sure, safety costs a fortune but I wouldn't go back to those days before we had ropes and harnesses for everything. Even shit like battery powered saws make a difference these days.
We've done many stupid things, we've done many dangerous things and we've done things that with todays standards would not be allowed just for a laugh. But none of us would ever put anyone else in danger or teach them the wrong way to do something.

Being scared is okay, it keeps you alert and makes you think before you do things. Either side is not so good, shit scared stops you from doing things, not scared at all makes you over confident.

Being scared is okay, it keeps you alert and makes you think before you do things. Either side is not so good, shit scared stops you from doing things, not scared at all makes you over confident.

Gotta find that perfect balance of alertness and confidence. I'm confident to do the job when I know I feel safe. Today....with my spikes reversed, proved that to be a problem. But its fixed now.
I learned that taking small steps is totally okay too. Thats a good level of security while up in a tree.

Anyone can make little fuck ups like the spikes, it's the big and stupid fuck ups that get harder to excuse. A guy I used to work with on the farm used his chainsaw like it was a hand saw moving it back and forth in the wood as he cut. The same guy couldn't use the top side of the bar to cut through timber so as to stop the bar getting pinched between what he was cutting, he was convinced the saw could only cut downward. He didn't understand why oil had to run down the chain and why seeing a bit of oil splatter on the timber is not a bad thing. This guy had only finished his chainsaw operators course a month before he was using it on the farm, he was supposedly trained in the use and safety of a chainsaw and he did shit like that. My neighbour's kid was less dangerous with a saw when he was three and filled the fuel tank with kerosene than this trained moron was.

Holy fucking shit what a dumbass! What an absolute legend :lol:

Using a chainsaw like a handsaw...wtf.
Now I've had the saw chain pinched a few times but that was my mistake. I learned the right way after that.

Pinching the bar is par for the course, it happens but not understanding why and not understanding that a lot of the time cutting from underneath is not only possible but can help eliminate the pinch is common sense. It's the same as pinching the bar when you're cutting the tree down and the weight pushes back against your hinge. Wedges help stop that from happening but you don't always see it before it's too late. Understanding why and how to fix it if it happens is good practise.

I was watching a video of these two hill billies (their business name was there for all to see) using a saw with a 70 inch bar to cut down a tree that common sense would have seen fall with even a 32 inch bar. Not only was everything they did stupid but the best bit was when the dude helping helped the chainsaw operator lift the saw into the cut on the tree by grabbing with both hands on the end of the bar while the operator had his hands next to the throttle. It's dangerous at any time but the dickhead didn't even put the chain lock on for his mate.

:eek: look I may be fuckin stupid sometimes, BUT JESUS CHRIST THATS FUCKING BEYOND MONKEY BRAIN.

You really don't need that big of a bar for sure. Just cut your wedge in the way you want to fell it and then clear it from the other side (easier said than done in my case. I made my horizontal cut, then over shot my diagonal cut causing the tree to go the opposite way it was supposed to go.)

You're right it's easier said than done, sometimes the tree just conspires against you no matter what you do. I've seen massive trees deliberately dropped 180 degrees from the way they are leaning, likewise I've seen trees defy every cut and fall no where near where they were supposed too.