The Shitposting Thread

Be careful that it doesn't fuck your employment up though.

Thankfully it won't. This whole week I've been scared about the accident possibly jeopardizing my job. They reassured me it wouldn't; they told me thats the last of my worries. They are just gonna make sure I recover in reasonable time, have me work flagging jobs or ground work in that time frame. Then they are going to have me sign something and have me properly certified for climbing. The accident was on my time of being trained.

Reactions: CiG
I'm not saying this will work in every circumstance but it could.
The fear you are feeling is natural, so think about why you have that fear, what caused it and what you could have done to prevent it.
You might think you know the answers to those things but knowing and understanding can be two different things.
Since you want to do it again work yourself up to it.
Gain your confidence back in your mind first then go to the foreman/boss/whoever and ask if they will help you after hours to either climb another tree or work towards it. You don't have to spend hours at it, but doing it after hours means you're prepared to give up your own time to help yourself.
Not all bosses will want to stay after hours to help a fellow worker, but some will and any decent boss will see it as someone who is prepared to help themselves for the job they are doing. They might even make time on work time, after all most bosses want to see dedication from their staff not just turning up to get the pay packet
It's worth remembering that each one of the guys you work with has probably had an accident, done something silly, or done something they shouldn't have and only a complete dickhead would try and convince people they haven't, so they know what you are feeling.

Reactions: Sophii
I think that would work completely, since I've already proven to be a good worker and an honest one at that. The only thing I'm behind on is getting my shit signed off in my training books because its hard to get foremen/bosses to get that shit signed off on work hours. And during lunch, thats the last thing on my mind. Tbh I dont even think the head bosses care completely; they are only forced to because their bosses need that shit so they can cover their ass if an accident like this happens again.

But yeah, that could work. I do my best to be a good worker, albeit maybe not as bright as others (but thats also outside of work too. I'm kinda dumb ngl, but I do like to learn.)

Reactions: Slammed
When I was hiring for bread delivery I hired one guy who came across as thick and dense as the bread we delivered, he looked like he lived in a cave with no toothbrush or hairbrush. At the same time I also hired a guy who had a university degree and experience in customer service. One full time position, one on call position. The guy who was as thick a two planks got the full time job because he showed initiative, he didn't think he as too good for the job and he put in 100%. He's still delivering bread to this day and is the supervisor, the other guy lasted 2 years and ended up on a register at Target.

Good workers always shine better than smart people.

I believe that, absolutely. Its about the ambition and effort you put in. You could be book smart, street smart, whatever. That doesn't matter. What matters most is showing you care about the work.

I don't like losing hours either. I can't do shit about it, though. Thats above me currently.

You could always go around the neighbourhood cutting down trees. Don't ask anyone, just do it under the guise of practice and ambition. :)

I'll need to buy my own gear for that; not allowed to use company equipment :p

Though actually that doesnt sound like a bad idea. When I get certified I'd totally love to do that on my own time and make a few extra bucks. Thats a good odd job that pays well.

In this country we nearly need a permit to cut down any fucking tree, even trees in our back yards. Rules vary from council to council, state to state but the majority of them stop people protecting their own property. My mum and dad have a tree in their place that is about 60 years old, 90 feet tall and could potentially fall on the house, although at this stage it's unlikely. But because it's a gum tree and it's one of seven trees in the area that are heritage protected (means it has historical importance to the area) they, or any professional, not only needs a permit to limb it but they can not cut it down without the council arborist declaring in writing that it is a danger of falling down by itself.

I can understand that, even if it can be kinda sketchy. But at the same time, if it can cause problems it should be given to at least clear limbs that could cause problems. At our job we aren't allowed to clear Dogwood trees, because they serve no real danger to people or the power lines. We get in trouble for cutting dogwood unless authorized to do so.

I think it should be mandatory to be certified to do so. I wouldnt feel safe is someone was cutting trees in my yard or something and they werent certified for such a dangerous job.

Being certified to cut down trees isn't a bad idea for the most part. Certified tree loppers not only know how to drop them properly and safely in this country proper certification also means insured and if something does go wrong and they drop a tree on your house they pay.

However getting council approval to cut one down on your own property is bullshit. The council don't own the tree, the council don't maintain the tree and if the owner wants it down they should be able to do so, with the appropriate services. Councils here just have way to much power and making you get an inspection and in some places pay a fee to them just to get authorisation for a professional to cut down the tree is bullshit.

Now that is bullshit, and totally unnecessary. You can't own nature (I mean...you kinda can via property ownership..?) so thats fucked. Is that like a thing all over Australia?

Different councils have different rules, but yeah the majority of them charge a fee for all sorts of shit like that. Some don't police it because it's too bloody hard, for instance our council never watched close enough to see what trees we dropped on the farm. But in the township they have fined people for cutting down trees without getting approval.

Sounds lazy to me, tbh. Actually, not lazy; more like lousy. If somethings on my property, nature wise, I should damn well be able to do with it as I please (as long as its not hurting anyone.)

Yeah I agree. Still it's not as bad as where in wife's family live over in CiG-land. The council over there tell them to put irrigation in the front yards and verges and put the watering systems on a timer. It's something stupid like a $3000 fine if they get caught without an irrigation system in place regularly watering the grass.

It was bizarre to me when they moved in too. From memory it's something to do with keeping all front yards and verges green and well maintained so the streets look pretty. I'm not sure all councils over there have the same rule but my inlaws moved into their new house about 2006 or thereabouts and as soon as they singed the paperwork to move in the irrigation system had to be installed despite the fact that all they had on the verge at the time was sand.

Not surprising at all to me. Some areas can have all kinds of rules to maintain their appearance, especially new subdivisions or upper class streets. Things like whether you can have a fence out front and how tall, whether you can park trade vehicles on the driveway, minimum house size allowed etc. As a subdivision gets older, the rules probably get forgotten, until some disgruntled neighbour digs them up.

Let alone the kind of rules and bureaucracy you face if your house is in a gated community.