The (Un)official Royal Carnage forum picture page

3328630696_901663aee6.jpg

3327793927_4c476a49c7.jpg

3327794211_3072266b29.jpg

3328628836_f343a2d058.jpg

3328629192_0939143896.jpg

these were all taken with an exceedingly cheap (ten dollar ballpark) 70's off-brand manual lens i just got in the mail today

not that these are amazing as photographs but they're sharp as hell and technically pretty fucking good so the lesson to be learned is don't ever listen to anyone who tells you you need expensive equipment to take decent photos

these were all taken with an exceedingly cheap (ten dollar ballpark) 70's off-brand manual lens i just got in the mail today

not that these are amazing as photographs but they're sharp as hell and technically pretty fucking good so the lesson to be learned is don't ever listen to anyone who tells you you need expensive equipment to take decent photos
Fixed focus? Them's some nice lookin' shots, I'm assuming it's got a nice wide aperture. Man, I need something like this. 2 years with a stock Canon 18-55mm lens, I've kinda exhausted my creative options.

Although not really.

Fixed focus? Them's some nice lookin' shots, I'm assuming it's got a nice wide aperture. Man, I need something like this. 2 years with a stock Canon 18-55mm lens, I've kinda exhausted my creative options.

Although not really.
Thanks. It's a K-mount Chinon 135/2.8. Not fixed focus -- I don't know of any SLR lenses that are. Manual focus, though.

The 18-55 is fine for many things (I have a Pentax 18-55 kit lens too, very similar to your Canon) -- it is a good lens with a very useful range, but after getting some cheap primes (40/2.8, 50/1.7, aforementioned 135/2.8) I don't find myself using it much. Main problem is it's slow (5.6 at the tele end is pretty excruciating) I have the privilege of being able to buy 30 year old lenses for $10 and having them mount and meter perfectly, image stabilized, on my digital SLR, so I do. :cool:

Here are some product photos I just took for work:

3343413649_a968a83362.jpg

3344233316_4fb945cfde.jpg

:lol: ... create an account on one of the stock image websites like Shutterstock or istockphoto and rake in the bucks ... serious. they pay good commisions.

a photographer I work with does that and makes close to a grand a month in comissions.
your work does have to look pro though and polished. Stuff like Erik's product photography does really well on those sites.

:lol: ... create an account on one of the stock image websites like Shutterstock or istockphoto and rake in the bucks ... serious. they pay good commisions.

yeah i've been thinking of it

i'm going to probably set up a little home "studio" at one point and take stock pictures of various objects because 1) it's fun and 2) it potentially makes money but you need a fucking boatload of pictures to start with to get anywhere

Thanks. It's a K-mount Chinon 135/2.8. Not fixed focus -- I don't know of any SLR lenses that are. Manual focus, though.
Well spotted. "Fixed focal length" was what I meant to say. Ah well. The government of my country is so concerned that we're not spending enough money that they've giving us $950 for no good reason in a few weeks so that we might help the economy. I can tell you, that's all going into a nice fast zoom lens. Not a moment too soon.