The (Un)official Royal Carnage forum picture page

coupla ones from back home

2zsaezq.jpg

2ik45md.jpg

2e3wynq.jpg

33f946u.jpg

2v15eub.jpg

southern and eastern france are the best for hikes, ya?

You could sum it up like that. And the Massif Central of course. I’ll let you peruse Wikipedia and shit for specifics. Top spots for a few days hike would be, in order of personal knowledge:

1. Massif central / Auvergne: a North-South backbone of old volcanic ranges, subdivided into three general areas:

--> 1.1. Chaîne des Puys, Northern part: a cluster of volcanic domes around Clermont-Ferrand, some with impressive craters you can descend into (Pariou). Forest-covered, rather tame relief, no difficulty but very beautiful especially come Spring and Autumn.

--> 1.2. Chaîne des Puys, Southern part: the massif around Mont-Dore, with the Puy de Sancy as the flagship peak. A bit wilder and steeper, great middle mountain vistas, also great for observing fauna and flora.

--> 1.3. Cantal: the very sparsely populated area offers endless possibilities for hikers, not a high range by any means (highest peaks at ca. 1,800m) but still some good climbs, reasonable exertion is possible, as distance between villages and other resting spots are significant. My favorite region.

2. Aubrac / Margeride / Lozère: some distance further South, another quite deserted zone. Rocks, cliffs, canyons, forests, small villages. The heart of medieval France beats through these ancient places. I will always recommend a trek through the fantastic Gorges du Tarn, complete with water sports.

3. Cévennes: vast expanses of forests, some steep mountains (Mont Aigoual is a famed trekking spot), also a fantastic area if you like exploring caves and gulfs.

4. Alpes: obviously the place to go for true mountain experience. Several summits above 3,000m. Absolutely gorgeous.

5. Vosges / Alsace: hills, vineyard and storks on the roofs, people there are rich and it shows. One of the cutest areas I’ve been to.

6. Pyrénées: the other major mountain range, along the Spanish border. Never been that far down South though.

Reactions: rms