The (Un)official Royal Carnage forum picture page

so yesterday my uncle took me on a one and a half hour helicopter ride. Seeing my native soil from a height was a fantastic experience!

The Allier river and the town of Vichy

The Gour de Tazenat, a volcano lake, shaped in a perfect circle by Mother Nature

The Puy-de-Dôme at the back to the left and other sleeping volcanoes

A castle, to my shame I don't even know the name

Agrarian landscape, the L-shaped landing area is visible to the middle-right

family and flying device

Why is that red and white stripped pole hanging from one of the blades? That seems dangerously unbalanced

jeepthang_zpsdq0y0bay.jpg

blastermaster_zpshilkwbet.jpg

I used to be funny. But at least I still try!

Here be a few pics from the past week, spent roaming the lovely and blissfully empty Lozère and Cévennes area in Central France :

21140667056_fe84328c62_b.jpg

the Causse Méjean, one of four such limestone plateaus in the area, a vast expanse of wind-beaten, semi-arid land

21174709501_0187a1b2f0_b.jpg

view from the Mont Aigoual, no dwelling in sight; by clear weather the eye can embrace as far as the Mediterranean sea to he south and the Alps to the East

20980059859_3380c3d04d_b.jpg

A powerful sight from the slope of Mont Aigoual

20979043868_6579815fae_b.jpg

The Unesco-listed Cirque de Navacelles, an ancient riverbed and a picturesque small village at the foot of some big canyons. Striking place!

21140713736_121a292533_b.jpg

Stone upon stone...

20545822583_253e9345da_b.jpg

The Chaos de Nîmes-le-Vieux, a (predictably) chaotic lanscape of rock formations, a nice spot to muse around and revel in the strange beauty of our home planet

20979006648_37266dfb48_b.jpg

same...

20980085129_4243ec35d8_b.jpg

Closer to home, the sky-chapel of Saint-Michel d'Aiguilhe in Le Puy-en-Velay. I'll never get bored of that shit

Holy damn those are some nice photos.

I finally went to see the really big trees:

IMG_20150920_130815105_zpsqcw1iklp.jpg

IMG_20150920_144858634_HDR_zpsxm1ea7al.jpg

IMG_20150920_143214395_zpswqjemcap.jpg

Idiot shown for size comparison purpose.

It was pretty unreal to share their space.

Jesus...

I've wanted to explore the thick forests of the Bourbonnais, a third of the way between my birthplace and Paris. It's supposed to host some 300 year-old+ oaks. Now is hunting season though so that will have to wait...

Is that Sequoia or Redwood? I've been to Sequoia national park and it was absolutely nuts, it's like being in another world. A world inhabited by 50 billion squirrels.

Is that Sequoia or Redwood? I've been to Sequoia national park and it was absolutely nuts, it's like being in another world. A world inhabited by 50 billion squirrels.
Sequoia. We found a secluded grove, and discovered about 10 giants along a pretty strenuous hike. Quite a moving experience, just the trees, my wife, and two close friends. And a lot of fucking flies, haha.

I did see the giant Redwoods several years back, those were quite impressive, but I could only get to the touristy spots in our Toyota Corolla at the time. This was something different. Although I did drive through a forest fire on that trip! Scary stuff.

You said it mang, nobody fucks with the Jesus! Apparently these trees are even older than that legend, up to 3,500 years old. We discussed that whilst stargazing, as that is the kind of thing that reinforces my atheistic/nihilistic tendencies: humans are a spec of a spec on a spec. We are meaningless. And I find solace in that.

Not that I don't find meaning and value in art, music, literature, and even spiritual pursuits of course. But I recognize that all my thoughts and emotions, at least in the grand scheme of things, are essentially worthless. Neat!