Themed Mixtape Game

i don't necessarily disagree with the idea of an in-crowd in metal, some bands are obvs trendier to like than others among old-school metalheads. i just find hbb's selection process pretty arbitrary and seemingly colored by personal bias.

last i checked i was ambivalent about both testament and heathen fwiw, but it's been a while in both cases

Oh, so because there was one song by them in a .zip file with 30 songs in it, people were pimping them out? Interesting. That's a unique perspective and a total non-answer to what I asked. Not that I expected anything else.

I'll probably listen to the Testament debut album sometime soon.

Reactions: The Butt
This was the answer to that question:

"Those lists were limited to a top 3; regardless, if you asked people their opinions on Heathen vs Testament, I have a feeling the in-crowd would come to favor the former much more strongly (assuming there are even enough thrash-listening in-crowd people left on this board). "

There's obviously going to be more than three in-crowd artists from any major sub-genre of metal.

Well what are some of your favourite black metal albums? I've only really seen you mention Gorgoroth so I'd be interested to know what else you like from the genre.
In terms of black metal, most of my taste is classic first and second wave stuff, i.e. The Return, Pure Holocaust, Welcome To Hell, Morbid Tales, Under A Funeral Moon, INRI, etc. Black metal bands I like includes stuff like Venom, Bathory, Gorgoroth, Darkthrone, Sargeist, Immortal, Abigor, Judas Iscariot, Mayhem, Beherit, Satyricon, Marduk, Celtic Frost, Taake, Blood Stained Dusk, Dark Funeral, Sarcófago, Inquisition, Burzum, Hellhammer, Carpathian Forest, Profanatica, Belphegor, and Satanic Warmaster.

Reactions: Phylactery
This was the answer to that question:

"Those lists were limited to a top 3; regardless, if you asked people their opinions on Heathen vs Testament, I have a feeling the in-crowd would come to favor the former much more strongly (assuming there are even enough thrash-listening in-crowd people left on this board). "

There's obviously going to be more than three in-crowd artists from any major sub-genre of metal.

You stated that the "in-crowd" thinks Heathen albums are the best thrash albums. This is what you need to explain at this time. Admit that you were in error or greatly exaggerating.

I doubt that Heathen will even be in the top 10 for most people you claim are "in-crowd" followers.

I already said, look at UltraBoris copycats. Heathen is an entry to in-crowdism. "Oh yeah man, fuck Selloutica and those Testament copycats, you need to hear HEATHEN. Plus, they give their shit out for FREE, they do it FOR THE MUSIC. And PAUL FUCKING BALOFF even joined them briefly. They're REAL Bay Area thrash."

So the "in-crowd" on this site must feel that way too or they're an entirely separate thing from the UltraBoris version and there's no reason for you to keep referencing UltraBoris and his opinions.

Spoilers: The "in-crowd" on this site doesn't feel that way.

lol, found this in a thread about the most important thrash bands:

I agree with Opeth. They're definitely important, regardless of one's opinion.

Doom Metal:

Saint Vitus
Pentagram
Candlemass (as you said)
diSEMBOWELMENT
Evoken

Thrash Metal:

Sodom
Massacra (Death/Thrash)
Artillery
Sabbat (UK) and (Jap)
Heathen

Black Metal:

Tormentor
Master's Hammer
Root

On the same page:

I don't aspire to be like Dodens so much as I consider him to be a friend and kindred spirit in some ways. I wish that people wouldn't act like they knew me prior to me talking to him, since only V5 can make that claim and he's the one who suggested I talk to Dodens in the first place, since he said we're similar. :)

I'd rather listen to The Gathering then anything since The New Order. But I'd rather just not listen to any of them.

Can't imagine why Omni never listened to Testament.

And then a few pages later:

BTW I don't think I yell at people all that much. I think Omni makes me look worse than I am because we're automatically associated together no matter what apparently. But seriously anyone who likes thrash and thinks Heathen has bad vocals is definitely a faggot, I mean what the fuck that shit doesn't even make sense. Whatever.

lol

@HamburgerBoy

Again, not really a response to this discussion. I'm glad that you posted evidence that I'm not a 1:1 copy of Dodens though. I've been saying that for a while.

I wish I hadn't missed out on this one. Easily the most romantic fucking love song ever IMO. Definitely a song to make love to, don't care how I gay I sound.

Reactions: H.P. Lovecraft
Haha, I actually like Testament, I just don't think they're amazing. Thrash is one of my least preferred genres of metal and so I thought I'd make some ridiculous, unrelated comparison like Hamburgerboy does all the time with black metal.

The issue with this "in-crowd" shit is that he implies you only like/listen to something because someone else on the Internet does. As if people bother with listening to stuff they don't actually like just to fit in with someone they've never met. It's just ridiculous and bizarre.

In terms of black metal, most of my taste is classic first and second wave stuff, i.e. The Return, Pure Holocaust, Welcome To Hell, Morbid Tales, Under A Funeral Moon, INRI, etc. Black metal bands I like includes stuff like Venom, Bathory, Gorgoroth, Darkthrone, Sargeist, Immortal, Abigor, Judas Iscariot, Mayhem, Beherit, Satyricon, Marduk, Celtic Frost, Taake, Blood Stained Dusk, Dark Funeral, Sarcófago, Inquisition, Burzum, Hellhammer, Carpathian Forest, Profanatica, Belphegor, and Satanic Warmaster.

I've never heard of Blood Stained Dusk or heard anything by Judas Iscariot, but I like most of the stuff you posted here.

Last edited:
@HamburgerBoy

Again, not really a response to this discussion. I'm glad that you posted evidence that I'm not a 1:1 copy of Dodens though. I've been saying that for a while.

You asked for evidence of the in-crowd here preferring Heathen to Testament. I gave you an example from arguably the biggest taste-maker on this board's history.

According to a topic I made asking people who influenced them, he is the biggest. That doesn't change the fact that the majority of the "in-crowd" here does not favor Heathen despite your claims to the contrary.

I've never heard of Blood Stained Dusk or heard anything by Judas Iscariot, but I like most of the stuff you posted here.
Blood Stained Dusk and Judas Iscariot are likely less familiar to you because they're American black metal (Blood Stained Dusk being from Alabama and Judas Iscariot being from Illinois), a scene that doesn't get enough attention compared to the other black metal scenes in my opinion (I only became aware of their existence because I'm a pathetic total freak about looking for new bands to sink my teeth into). If you want to start exploring Judas Iscariot, To Embrace The Corpses Bleeding is a great start, and Blood Stained Dusk's Dirge of Death's Silence is an obssesive Emperor homage to be reckoned with.