Themed Mixtape Game

1. Leviticus - Deborah and Barack 8/10

Fucking hell this is cool.

2. Stormwitch - Jonathan's Diary 7/10

3. Revocation - Opus Madness 4/10

Jump da fuck up!

4. Triptykon - In the Sleep of Death 7/10

Not sure if I know what piece of literature this is based off of so I'm knocking a point off.

5. Ahab - The Hunt 8/10

Still quite like Ahab for whatever reason, and this song absolutely rules.

6. Fates Warning - Giant's Lore 9/10

7. Sabbat - A Cautionary Tale 7/10

The other Sabbat is clearly superior, however Doctor Faustus is an amazing play and Christopher Marlowe is an underrated poet.

8. Summoning - Mirkwood 9/10

Literally any Summoning song would work for this category. My personal favorite from this EP is "Habbanan Beneath the Stars" but there is no denying that this EP contains some of their greatest work. For those curious, this is not about the Mirkwood seen in The Hobbit novel, but of another forest north of Beleriand in the First Age. I think, at least. Fucking love it when those double bass drums come in and those keys.

9. Eternal Champion - Retaliator 9/10

Holy Manilla Road! This has more swords and sorcery and cheesy epic fantasy magick than most of the bands doing it these days. I fucking love that galloping opening riff complete with the MR vocals. And then it morphs seamlessly into that more traditional chug riff. Wonderful

10. Jag Panzer - Tragedy of Macbeth 6/10

I appreciate the attempt that his album tries to capture by adapting a full 3+ hour Shakespeare play into a metal opera, but this contains very little of the majesty and just fucking manly balls-to-the-walls strength that you get on Ample Destruction. Whatever.

11. Blind Guardian - Imaginations of the Other Side 8/10

You guys know they are going on tour and performing this album from front to back right? This is one of my favorites because, god damn, that epic chorus. Shit.

12. Iron Maiden - To Tame a Land 8/10

Classic Iron Maiden. Perhaps whoever submitted this wanted to refrain my choosing a too obvious submission, but "Rime of the Ancient Mariner" is their best song and probably would have won this whole thing for me.

11. Blind Guardian - Imaginations of the Other Side 8/10

You guys know they are going on tour and performing this album from front to back right? This is one of my favorites because, god damn, that epic chorus. Shit.
I think IFTOS is one of their most overrated albums though. But the title track is indeed really really good!

Leviticus - Deborah and Barak
FUCK YEAH JESUS
8/10

Stormwitch - Jonathan's Diary
FUCK YEAH DRACULA
9/10

Revocation - Madness Opus
Boooooriiiiiiinnnnnnng
2/10

Triptykon - In the Sleep of Death
Through the ancient art of google-fu I have divined that this song is about Emily Brontë. Song's okay, there are some hints of genuine beauty but on the pathos scale it's further from Warning than it is from "shitty Katatonia song".
6/10

Ahab - The Hunt
Feels like drowning... drowning in boring, that is. Can we go back to kickass traditional metal?
3/10

Fates Warning - Giant's Lore
That's more like it.
8/10

Sabbath - A Cautionary Tale
3/10

Summoning - Mirkwood
The band is called 'Summoning' because they summon you to other worlds. Some of the synth fiddling in this song reminds me of the Deus Ex theme, but this does not ruin my immersion in any way.
9/10

Eternal Champion - Retaliator
Between this and the even-better "Last King of Pictdom", I honestly don't know if there's any other band I more want to release an LP right now.
8/10

Jag Panzer - Tragedy of Macbeth
Great vocal performance, but the song itself ends up feeling more 'lethargic' than 'epic'. Picked up toward the end some.
6/10

Blind Guardian - Imaginations From the Other Side
Not even a top 5 BG song for this theme, still pretty great.
7/10

Iron Maiden - To Tame a Land
I have a special relationship with Maiden, especially their golden years material. They were the band that got me into *music* and for several years I listened to them every day, and almost no other bands. But nowadays I feel more ambivalent toward them, even Dickinson despite being such an objectively fantastic vocalist rarely manages to send shivers down my spine like Halford/Arch/Dio/Shelton/Ballerio (Adramelch)/Nepi (Dark Quarterer)/the Dark Age guy/etc and I don't know if it's because my preferences have changed or just because of overfamiliarity. But this particular song is one of a few that have lost nothing over the years and on any given day I might rank it my favorite Maiden song. It really captures that sense of awe you get reading Dune even if it's not quite on point in terms of atmosphere. And that "THE TIME... WILL COME... FOR HIM..." part in the middle reminds me I still love Bruce.
And yeah there's some dumb instrumental bits but that's Maiden for you.
9/10

Leviticus - Deborah and Barack
A likeable song with a good guitar solo. 6/10.

Stormwitch -
Jonathan's Diary
Background music for me. It's not terrible. 5/10.

Revocation - Opus Madness

It has its bland bits but it gets quite interesting at times. 5/10.

Triptykon - In the Sleep of Death

The song is an homage to the works of Emily Brontë, whom Tom Warrior was inspired by. Favorite song off of a kickass album. 8/10.

Ahab -
The Hunt
Funeral doom is tricky. On the one hand I really enjoy it, but then it's pretty easy to get bored of because of the necessary monotony and pacing. These guys are good though and this is my favorite album of theirs. 7/10.

Fates Warning -
Giant's Lore
I appreciate the melody and whatnot but it just does nothing for me. 5/10.

Sabbat -
A Cautionary Tale
Headbanging groove aplenty. I've heard a lot about these guys but haven't checked em out before. Great stuff. 8/10.

Summoning -
Mirkwood
I will rate any Summoning highly. 9/10.

Eternal Champion -
Retaliator
Yawn. Again, not awful by any means but totally disposable. 5/10.

Jag Panzer -
Tragedy of Macbeth
Digging the operatic type vox. I'm also a sucker for strings. Good start. Then the rest of the song veers into decent metal, but doesn't find the greatness it strives for. 6/10.

Blind Guardian -
Imaginations of the Other Side
Solid levels of epicness to be found here. 7/10.

Iron Maiden -
To Tame a Land
It had its moments. 6/10.

1. Leviticus - Deborah and Barack - 6/10
Swedish Danzig?

2. Stormwitch - Jonathan's Diary - 7/10

3. Revocation - Opus Madness - 8/10

I think people are just downrating this because they'll never be as good as David Davidson on guitar

4. Triptykon - In the Sleep of Death - 6/10
Snoozefest but not bad

5. Ahab - The Hunt - 6/10

Snoozefest but not bad

6. Fates Warning - Giant's Lore - 4/10

Arch-era Fates Warning fans need to crawl up his ass and die

7. Sabbat - A Cautionary Tale - 5/10

Probably one of the worst thrash bands I've heard, but this one is actually sinister sounding

8. Summoning - Mirkwood - 6/10

-1 because the mix was terrible on this youtube vid

9. Eternal Champion - Retaliator - 6/10

Sounds nothing like Manilla Road. Glad I listened to it instead of taking Yoda's word for it. In that case, it would've had an automatic 2/10

10. Jag Panzer - Tragedy of Macbeth - 5/10

Takes too long to get into the damn song

11. Blind Guardian - Imaginations of the Other Side - 6/10

12. Iron Maiden - To Tame a Land - 6/10

I wish I had beaten this person to it because I initially chose Rime of the Ancient Mariner

Leviticus - Deborah And Barak 8/10
Hands down one of my favourite heavy metal bands. Heavy metal for the sons and daughters of the Christian God!

(Ha! It's spelled 'Barak' but I guess someone had Obama on their mind.)

Stormwitch - Jonathan's Diary 8/10

Their last gem (album) in my opinion and this is easily one of the highlights of the record. Killer theme too!

Revocation - Opus Madness 4/10

I liked reading along with the lyrics, trying to figure out it's source of literature. Either way, musically not anything I really enjoy, especially didn't like the vocals. I liked that weird solo at around the 2:40 mark though and the solo at around the 3:55 mark too.

Triptykon - In The Sleep Of Death 7/10

I really need to get this record.

Ahab - The Hunt 7/10

My feeling with this band has always been that it would be much better with a different vocal style, I love the sprawling, crushing doom metal instrumentation that revolves around one of my favourite pieces of literature ever, Moby Dick. Just those vocals, I don't know... I still own their stuff so it's not a deal-breaker or anything.

Fates Warning - Giant's Lore 9/10

Classic, what can I say?

Sabbat - A Cautionary Tale 6.5/10

Pretty good, kinda whizzed by without me really noticing which I guess is not a good thing. People go on about this album a lot, maybe I should give it closer inspection.

Summoning - Mirkwood 7/10

I love that art so much, I could stare at it for hours. Yoda should get a tattoo of Sauron's Eye.

Eternal Champion - Retaliator 9/10

Going by the lyrics it's either Michael Moorcock themed or it's about Irish mythology. Real epic heavy metal though? Perfection for me.

Jag Panzer - Tragedy Of Macbeth 8/10

Wow this is so epic and cool. I've never heard Thane To The Throne before, based on this maybe I need to.

Blind Guardian - Imaginations Of The Other Side 8/10

This is theme overkill! I fucking love it! Arthurian power metal.

Iron Maiden - To Tame A Land 10/10

My favourite Iron Maiden song of all time and one of my favourite heavy metal songs of all time, so expect bias in the extreme. For me, it really doesn't get much better than this. On top of that, I love Dune.

I do wish people wouldn't submit such massively popular, easy leg-in for a win songs though. Don't get me wrong, I love listening to bands I adore but nobody is discovering anything new and exciting when you do this.

Herman-Melville-Moby-Dick-xlarge.jpg

Anyways, great game! I actually really liked this theme a lot, so many options and so many opportunities to choose something quite unknown for me.

1. Leviticus - Deborah and Barak 8/10

A cool '80s metal song. The singer sounds so much like Glenn Danzig, but it works.

2. Stormwitch - Jonathan's Diary 7/10

I've never heard Stormwitch. This was a good song. I'll check out some of their music.

3. Revocation - Opus Madness

4/10

I thought that this was bad.

4. Triptykon - In the Sleep of Death

7/10

This was better than I expected. I guess Tom G. Warrior still has some life left in him.

5. Ahab - The Hunt

5/10

I found this to be very boring.

6. Fates Warning - Giant's Lore

9/10

This song is just too good. Fates Warning rules.

7. Sabbat - A Cautionary Tale

7.5/10

I haven't heard this band before. I liked it. Cool to see a '90s black metal musician commenting on this video.

8. Summoning - Mirkwood

7/10

I like Summoning. You can't really go wrong with them in a theme like this.

9. Eternal Champion - Retaliator

8/10

That was awesome. I have to check them out further.

10. Jag Panzer - Tragedy of Macbeth

6/10

I don't think it has the staying power of their best music, but that voice!

11. Blind Guardian - Imaginations of the Other Side

6/10

I'm not really big on this band. This was decent enough.

12. Iron Maiden - To Tame a Land

7.5/10

A classic, but one that I think is somewhat overrated.

Last edited: