Themed Mixtape Game

1. Leviticus - Borat and Obama
pretty much the platonic form of heavy metal right here. on a basic level this is somewhere between motorhead and manowar, kinda like an even better version of tyrant (US) for lack of a better comparison right now. the verses are obviously vast and thunderous but it's the chorus that really makes it, it's incredible in an indescribable way that'll probably seem stilted to some. 9/10

2. Stormwitch - Jonathan's Diarrhoea
theatrical and tense and emotive, stormwitch’s best song evokes its narrative perfectly. like a european helstar, they're essentially distilling the essence of 'phantom of the opera' in a somewhat more germanic way. you could argue that not all the parts cohere into a single entity, but most bands go full careers without having passages as good as several in this song alone. 9.5/10

3. Revocation - Opus Badness
ozz is the new arg. 2/10

4. Triptykon - In the Sleep of Death
it's a tribute to emily bronte, i'm gonna allow it as a creative pick. it's kinda lame though, or, as one of my RYM friends put it, "Has been nonsense from a sour old Swiss douche". i try to avoid using the word 'pretentious', but honestly it was invented for a purpose and that purpose is nowadays tom g. warrior. he's aight (if not generally particularly interesting) when he's just sludging out, but every time he starts trying to be experimental (which usually involves sprinkling reductions of other genres on top of his sludging out) it just comes across as kinda tacky and embarrassing to me, partly 'cause of how seriously he's taking himself. that said, this isn't one of the worst offenders. the spoken vocals are laugh out loud funny and the post-rock squealing+acoustic passages are pretty old hat and no different from the likes of opeth, but for the most part he's just, yknow, sludging out. which is tolerable, if monotonous. 5/10

5. Ahab - The Cunt
i'm picky when it comes to funeral doom and this doesn't really cut it. i just feel like i've heard the same basic song many times before - there isn't a surprising moment in the whole ten minutes, there isn't much nuance to the textures or originality in atmosphere. it never does anything actively annoying either and it sets a basic mood, just never grabs me. 5/10

6. Fates Warning - Giant's Lore
the third of AWAKEN THE GUARDIAN’s holy trinity that also features 'fata morgana' and 'guardian'. exceptionally vivid and beautiful music with some of the best soloing in the history of the universe. i don't have a lot more to say given that we only just did the song survivor. learn to love it gayheads, it should be a nailed on 10. 10/10

7. Sabbat - A Cautionary Tale
this is a shit youtube which makes it sound as bad as DREAMWEAVER does, but it’s actually one of the better songs off their superior album. where sometimes this brand of relentlessness equates to a lack of dynamics or direction, here the song progresses as a narrative and gathers momentum, with every transition carrying dramatic weight, especially the one from “to burn in Hell for all my days...” into the song’s best riff. walkyier’s vocal performance is varied and suitably unhinged, and obviously he’s pretty much the most eloquent thrash lyricist out there for what that’s worth. 7.5/10

8. Summoning - Mirkwood
a quality song from ‘97, their finest era to my mind although i do hope to revisit all their more recent stuff sometime. i’m not as fond of the part beginning 1:54 as phylactery but i adore everything up to that and the part beginning 3:50. it’s just an overwhelming soundscape pure ‘n simple. i struggle to listen to full albums of theirs these days, so these mixtapes are the perfect context for a revisit. 8.5/10

9. Eternal Champion – Retaliator
like the playlist's opener, this IS heavy fucking metal. the sweet vocals glide across the huge physicality of the guitars most satisfyingly. 8.5/10

10. Jag Panzer - Tragedy of Macbeth
ah man, the initial duet chorus gives me shivers. it isn’t super interesting when it gets heavier though, too bombastic and kinda generic. by one of the board’s biggest AMPLE DESTRUCTION fanboys this can only be viewed as a disappointment. 6/10

11. Blind Guardian - Imaginations of the Other Side
the only blind guardian album i’m intimately familiar with is NIGHTFALL... (my first ever power metal album haha) but pompey linked me to a really good BG song a while back (from their sophomore i think) which got me excited for more, and yet... i’m not sure there’s been a single one i’ve much liked in this mixtape game yet. so yeah i should probably get on that album. 5/10

12. Iron Maiden - To Tame a Land
i’ve only just noticed how much this sounds like adramelch in places haha. 9/10

12. Iron Maiden - To Tame a Land

7.5/10

A classic, but one that I think is somewhat overrated.

Overrated? The album or the song?

1. Leviticus - Borat and Obama

giphy.gif

I think Iron Maiden is a worthy band with a lot of great songs, but I find that they're generally somewhat overrated. I also like Di'Anno Maiden more than Dickinson Maiden too, which might be a controversial stance here.

Maiden have so many good albums it's hard to believe. The only albums of theirs I find below par are No Prayer for the Dying, Fear of the Dark and Virtual XI.

Di'Anno could have never done justice to an album like Piece Of Mind or Powerslave.

As to accusations of overratedness, that comes with every globally appreciated band. If they were some little known NWOBHM band that were discovered in the reissue wave 1990's you would likely sing a different tune.

Reactions: Phylactery
Di'Anno could have never done justice to an album like Piece Of Mind or Powerslave.

I agree that he probably couldn't have pulled off the same vocal lines Bruce did, but they could probably have both benefited from a little restraint in the vocal department. It's no coincidence that Losfer Words is probably the most listenable track on either of those two albums, at least imo.

I agree that he probably couldn't have pulled off the same vocal lines Bruce did, but they could probably have both benefited from a little restraint in the vocal department. It's no coincidence that Losfer Words is probably the most listenable track on either of those two albums, at least imo.

That's just stupid. But that's your right I guess.

Di'Anno was great for the Iron Maiden he piloted, but he was fundamentally very limited in what he could bring to their sound, technically but also emotionally and textually.

The two albums I mentioned are masterpieces in my world and I can't even begin to imagine Di'Anno at the mantle of such a glorious song like To Tame A Land.

Di'Anno was great for the Iron Maiden he piloted, but he was fundamentally very limited in what he could bring to their sound, technically but also emotionally and textually.

I'm not gonna argue for Di'Anno's technical superiority, but hiring Bruce took the band in a direction I didn't like. Nobody would argue that Lemmy Kilmister is a technically superior vocalist to Ronnie James Dio, but if Dio had provided vox for Motorhead from Bomber onwards it wouldn't have been the same band. What Iron Maiden lost was their grit.

Last edited:
Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity

As to accusations of overratedness, that comes with every globally appreciated band. If they were some little known NWOBHM band that were discovered in the reissue wave 1990's you would likely sing a different tune.

Those are good albums, and yet I prefer the style of the first two albums more. It's totally irrelevant to me that Di'Anno wouldn't have been as good on albums that were clearly built around a different singer.

I think that Iron Maiden is a very above average band. I just don't think that any of their albums are the best around.

I've been meaning to change the Sabbat video but kept forgetting since two people mentioned the quality. It probably doesn't matter now that a lot of people rated but I'll change it

Edit: I changed it. This one seems a little louder and a bit better. Hopefully the production is a bit better

Last edited:
Leviticus - Deborah and Barack – 7/10

Something a bit weird and different about this song but hard to place, vague Mercyful Fate-isms I think but it doesn’t really actually sound like them. Never heard them before, but will have to explore further.

Stormwitch - Jonathan's Diary – 5/10

I’ve mostly just listened to Walpurgis Night; this song comes a lot closer to old-school power metal than what I remember. Unfortunately it’s pretty repetitive, and the riffs themselves are mostly generic. I like the harmonized bits the most.

Revocation - Opus Madness – 3/10

Why do people think this generic groove metal band is good tech-thrash? There’s at least a bit more Pantera swagger on this one than whateverthefuck inspired their earlier albums, but still pretty crappy. Sorta pretty leads tho.

Triptykon - In the Sleep of Death – 2/10

Contrived goth garbage. I can’t even recognize this as related to Tom G Warrior.

Ahab - The Hunt – 2/10

Take the same old doom metal riffs, then down-tune them further, gurgle, and add shitty keyboards. HOW INNOVATIVE. Funeral doom was a mistake.

Fates Warning - Giant's Lore – 10/10

Already explained why this one is my favorite from this album and the only song from it that reaches the same highs as The Spectre Within for me, but in short it just conveys the story so beautifully in unison with the instrumentation on a level most bands aren’t capable of. The atmosphere is perfect.

Sabbat - A Cautionary Tale – 4/10

This particular song is somewhat passable due to it being the first on the album as well as one of the shortest, but so many of the same riffs get recycled over and over to the point it drags all of the tracks down. If it wasn’t for Walkyier, this album would have no value.

Summoning – Mirkwood – 1/10

Not metal, barely listenable. I like how the drum machine does that break thing that every other contemporary pop song seems to do these days.

Eternal Champion – Retaliator – 7/10

A tiny bit overlong, but has a really neat mood to it, the vocals and intensity is a little Manilla Road but the level of tension and the chop is more vintage Metal Church, I can imagine these vocal melodies sticking with me after just one listen.

Jag Panzer - Tragedy of Macbeth – 2/10

Horrible for all the reasons modern Iron Maiden is. Overlong boring intro, la-de-da riffs and playskool drums, totally forced epicness.

Blind Guardian - Imaginations of the Other Side – 8/10

Definitely one of their best.

Iron Maiden - To Tame a Land – 10/10

One of Maiden’s greatest songs. The guitarwork is phenomenal, some of the first proper metal shredding imo, and the delivery and build is awesome even if the lyrics read like poor cliff notes of the real thing.