Themed Mixtape Game

Satan - Break Free

8.5/10

Even though it's not the strongest song on Court in the Act, I can't really find much fault for it in this playlist. I definitely dig the idea of seeking to punish those who wrongly put you away. Good stuff.

Defeated Sanity - Arousal Through Punishment

4/10

This is not at all the type of metal that I enjoy. I really thought this was shit. I can't argue with the lyrics being appropriate for the playlist, even though I think they're pretty dumb.

Dying Fetus - Killing on Adrenaline

1/10

This is not for me. I thought that basically everything about it was annoying and the lyrics were super edgy. It's not my thing.

Seventh Angel - Locked Up in Chains

6/10

This was interesting at least. I'm not exactly sure what type of metal this is, but the doomy parts were neato. The vocalist had me sold on his torment too.

Blind Guardian - Banish from Sanctuary

7.5/10

Lots of energy from this song. I'm digging this. I should buy this album. I definitely think that this works for the playlist theme. I hope they don't show up in the next game because they were in the last one too.

Exodus - The Ballad of Leonard and Charles

2/10

How the mighty have fallen. I haven't heard any newer Exodus music until today. This takes way too long to go anywhere and it isn't exciting when it does. The vocals are pretty annoying too.

The Chasm - Storm of Revelations

7/10

I'm not much of an extreme metal guy, but the guitars in this song were pretty cool. I liked the lyrics a lot too. This was one of the better surprises on the playlist.

Burzum - Key to the Gate

6/10

This sounded really wicked and evil. I had to look up the lyrics and I'm honestly not sure if this is a good song for this theme. I thought it was weird.

Dread Sovereign - We Wield the Spear of Longinus

9/10

This was awesome. A really intense and crushing doom metal song. The vocalist was bizarrely similar in tone to a doom metal version of David Bowie, which worked for some reason. Cool stuff.

Iced Earth - Dante's Inferno

4/10

I can't deny the lyrics to this song work here, but I think this song is overlong and pretty annoying to listen to. I'm just not big on this type of thing.

Thunder Rider - Electric Chair

6/10

This wasn't bad but it isn't that exciting either. I like the vocalist and the lyrics are cool. This song definitely works for this playlist.

Slayer - Payback

3/10

I love their early music, but this song has very little of what I like about it. It's trying really hard, but everything is just off. The production sounds like shit and none of the band members sound like they believe in what they're doing.

Starlight Ritual - Seal the Light

7/10

This was interesting. It was pretty otherwordly at times and I liked the chill vibe that I got. A cool surprise at the end of the game.

Satan - Break Free 7/10
Classic album but one of it's weaker songs.

Defeated Sanity - Arousal Through Punishment 3/10

Funnily enough, though I hate this shit, the production is actually quite good. Lyrics don't seem to describe the theme, even though it's in the song title.

Dying Fetus - Killing On Adrenaline 4/10

I remember I used to like this band. No idea what I heard in them. Better than the last song though. Lyrics read like an edgy douchebag mixture of ignorant rap music and terrible tough guy USHM/USHC. Music for bros.

Seventh Angel - Locked Up In Chains 6.5/10

Finally someone submits something I've never heard of, and it's quite decent too. Christian metal always piques my interest. Thanks to whoever had the guts to go with something obscure.

Blind Guardian - Banished From Sanctuary 7/10

I love this band's first two albums so much.

Exodus - The Ballad Of Leonard And Charles 4/10

Serial killer lyrics are always interesting to me. But this pretty much does nothing for me musically.

The Chasm - Storm Of Revelations 6.5/10

Half good half terrible drum sound, like an old typewriter at times. Love the vocals and riffs though, plus it has a cold atmosphere to it. Those drums though...

Burzum - Key To The Gate 8/10

Interesting take on the theme. Obviously a classic metal album, to me he is a master of music in general.

Dread Sovereign - We Wield The Spear Of Longinus 7.5/10

Great choice. Great lyrics. Great band. Fuck Satan!

Iced Earth - Dante’s Inferno 5/10

Not a huge fan of this band, I do enjoy their first two albums, especially Night Of The Stormrider. This doesn't do much for me.

Thunder Rider - Electric Chair 7/10

Great band, totally overlooked, unfortunately not the best song off the album.

Slayer - Payback 4/10

No thanks. Braindead tough guy crap. "Payback's a bitch motherfucker" are you 12? Gtfo.

Starlight Ritual - Seal The Light 7/10

Something about this throws me off, but holy riffs and holy damn what a vocalist!

This round was okay...

Nichihjou-02-Mai-Fifty-Fifty-1024x576.jpg

Could it be... Satan? - 5 Admittedly one of the better bands in this vein of metal. However This song was fairly generic and did not capture the theme musically at all. Perhaps lyrically, but that is only part of the battle. Also not exactly an off the beaten path band in these parts.

Defeated Sanity - 7 lol, intros are not brootal enough for us warthogs. Musically thematic and I have no fuvking idea on the lyrics.

Dying Fetus - 6 constipation bros. I like that there were slightly contrasting vocalists, but there could have been more variety for the individual singers as well. Some moments bordering on nu metal..

Seventh Angel - 8.5 what a fun fucking song. It's all over the place, and the vocals made me chuckle yet evoked punishment at the same time.

Blind Guardian - 2 pls, no more blind guardian, not even going to finish this

Exodus - 8 this is one of their later albums that still has some worthy moments, the first half of this song is one. I can feel anger and pain coming from this musically, sure.

The Chasm - 9 this is one band that actually deserves the hype they get around here. This sounds good and evil. Tight musicianship.

Burzum - 4 and here's a band that doesn't. Sloppy and annoying often. It's still better than some of the music in these games.

Dread Sovereign - 5 points for the vocalist. The music is exceptionally boring, is this metal or a lullaby? He deserves a better band.

Iced Earth - 6 decent, too long

Thunder Rider - 5 I hear some untapped potential. Too bad they didn't tap it.

Slayer - 5 oh so this is what Slayer would sound like trying to cover a 5 finger death punch song. Sounds try hardy like someone above said for sure.

Starlight - 9 wow this is great. Will have to check out more of them soon.

This sounded really wicked and evil. I had to look up the lyrics and I'm honestly not sure if this is a good song for this theme. I thought it was weird.

I interpreted it as someone dying and expecting to go to hell, but instead going to heaven and the person interprets it as punishment and intends to somehow get to hell.

I could be way off though.

I have no idea I don't listen to that junk

Edit oh you changed your tone, I'll change mine too then. Oh ok I'll check it out, though metallum says folk metal..

I could see you appreciating Primordial. Problem is, their albums tend to vary just enough to likely divide your opinion on them based on which album you listen to first.

I have no idea I don't listen to that junk

Edit oh you changed your tone, I'll change mine too then. Oh ok I'll check it out, though metallum says folk metal..

It's not anything like Korpiklaani or Finntroll, if that's what you're worried about.

I've adored Primordial over the years so I see where you're coming from but lately the more I listen the more grating Nemtheanga's vocals are, and as they are a big part of the band they just ruin the music for me. I mean he is passionate for sure, but alot of times he is just off key and sounds awkward.

Spirit the Earth Aflame is their best work though for sure. Gods to the Godless is the best song they've done.

Yeah, I could never get into Primordial's debut. However, Opeth's first two are enjoyable. The only Opeth records I don't really like are Heritage and Deliverance.