Themed Mixtape Game

Satan - Break Free
8/10

Defeated Sanity - Arousal Through Punishment

Not my thing.
2/10

Dying Fetus - Killing on Adrenaline
Not my thing either but had a few riffs I liked.
4/10

Seventh Angel - Locked Up in Chains
6/10

Blind Guardian - Banish from Sanctuary

Best song ever.
10/10

Exodus - The Ballad of Leonard and Charles
5/10

The Chasm - Storm of Revelations

I thought about going with a Chasm song for this but didn't feel like sifting through their demonic word salad lyrics trying to figure out which of their songs could be interpreted as fitting the theme. This isn't one of my favorite songs of theirs but whatever, it's still the best band ever doing their thing.
7/10

Burzum - Key to the Gate
Maybe it's the adjacency in this playlist, but some of the riffs in this song feel outright Chasm-y.
8/10

Dread Sovereign - We Wield the Spear of Longinus
8/10

Iced Earth - Dante's Inferno
I loved the last Iced Earth song we had but this is not epic enough for the length.
4/10

Thunder Rider - Electric Chair
6/10

Slayer - Payback
I've never listened to 2000s Slayer before. I've been missing out, clearly.
2/10

Starlight Ritual - Seal the Light
6/10

Reactions: Phylactery and CiG
I stupidly submitted a song for this round in the same convo as my non-metal submission and HBB didn't see it. Oh well. It was this:

Satan – Break Free - 7/10
This is a decent album, but I'm don't really follow along with the hype of this whole movement. Definitely some good stuff in that movement though (because NOWBHM isn't a genre)

Defeated Sanity – Arousal Through Punishment - 10/10
Upvoting for all the BDM haters

Dying Fetus – Killing on Adrenaline - 10/10
Upvoting for all the BDM haters and because Kevin Talley is a beast behind the kit

Seventh Angel – Locked Up in Chains - 6/10
Interchangeability of discern

Blind Guardian – Banished from Sanctuary - 7/10
This is the only era of Blind Guardian that interests me save for Nightfall in Middle Earth

Exodus – The Ballad of Leonard and Charles - 7/10
There's some killer stuff on the records with Dukes

The Chasm – Storm of Revelations - 7/10
How to appreciate death metal: don't be a fucking faggot

Burzum – Key to the Gate - 6/10

Dread Sovereign – We Wield the Spear of Longinus - 4/10
Moar liek Bored Sovereign, amirite?

Iced Earth – Dante’s Inferno - 8/10
One of the best songs from the best Iced Earth album

Thunder Rider – Electric Chair - 6/10

Slayer - Payback - 7/10
Slack-jawed fgts all of you

Starlight Ritual - Seal the Light - 6/10

Satan – Break Free - 6
Defeated Sanity – Arousal Through Punishment - 9
Dying Fetus – Killing on Adrenaline - 10
Seventh Angel – Locked Up in Chains - 4
Blind Guardian – Banished from Sanctuary - 8
Exodus – The Ballad of Leonard and Charles - 5
The Chasm – Storm of Revelations - 6
Burzum – Key to the Gate - 2
Dread Sovereign – We Wield the Spear of Longinus - 3
Iced Earth – Dante’s Inferno - 7
Thunder Rider – Electric Chair - 4
Slayer - Payback - 6
Starlight Ritual - Seal the Light - 5

i just want to be kicked in the balls

Don't get this Burzum hate. People seem to don't like Varg's sophomore album. I'm not a fan of it either. Obviously it's his worst pre-imprisonment work (minus ambient albums).

Satan - Break Free 8/10
Not the best song on Court in the Act, but I do like this song regardless. I enjoy the vocal melody a lot too. Also, I just want to scream like the way he did in the end in everyday life. Ahhhhh!

Defeated Sanity - Arousal Through Punishment 5/10
I'm beyond excited to hear why people were upset over the ratings on this. I've heard Defeated Sanity before but it's been awhile... probably a few years. Okay. I was actually realizing myself how I've grown out of a lot of grindcore last weekend. I mean yes I know this is brutal death metal/slam, but the sentiments are the same. I think if you were drunk at a show this would be pretty neat. But chilling at home? Eh. There's some cool grooves here and there though.

Dying Fetus - Killing on Adrenaline 3/10
Man I haven't heard this band in forever. I use to joke with my friends about how every girl into metal loves Dying Fetus. I've never really been into them at all. I don't like the screaming vocals either. Like this shit is straight ID music. I don't know why but I found something kind of funny about this track. Like if I told my mom to make an impression on the music I listen to, she'd start barking and shit like they were doing here.

Seventh Angel - Locked Up in Chains 6/10

This was interesting. I wanted to like it more but it was a little lacking.

Blind Guardian - Banish from Sanctuary 5/10
Man this is the most BG I've listened to (meaning through these mix tapes). I want to check an album out by them eventually. I think I liked the other songs that were submitted better, though. This is reminding me of like a video game music theme but one i'd rather skip... Idk, something about it I'm just not getting and liking could be the vocals.

Exodus - The Ballad of Leonard and Charles 4/10
The beginning was really cool. The rest of it is boring.

The Chasm - Storm of Relevance 8/10
This rules, obviously. Jeez those solos are amazing.

Burzum - Key to the Gates 9/10
Love this era Burzum. I love this track too. Crazy people make awesome music.

Dread Sovereign - We Wield the Spear of Longinous 6/10

I think their songs tend to be a little too long for what they are though. The vocalist is amazing and emotive but the music takes too long to get to it. It build and builds and the release is never as good. I had this same issue with Primordial too. The ending was pretty good, but that middle part needed to be cut.

Iced Earth - Dante's Inferno 5/10
Damn 16 minutes? Come on... This better be good. Some catchy solos here and there, but was spacing for almost half the track. Whoa, this is still going...

Thunder Rider - Electric Chair 6/10

This is interesting. It was OK it sorta ended abruptly

Slayer - Payback 2/10
Lol what is this?? The lyrics and vocals are corny.

Starlight Ritual - Seal the Light 9/10

Awesome. Really dynamic song and it is long but it doesn't get boring. Also the vocalist has some pipes on him.