Themed Mixtape Game

Dio - Lock Up the Wolves
It's really not that bad. 5.5/10

Summoning - The Rotten Horse on the Deadly Ground

Grandiose wankery with terrible keyboards. Vocals aren't too bad. 4/10

Slauter Xstroyes - Winter Kill

Oh god this band again. Picks up after iffy beginning. This is much better than the other one posted. 6/10

Virgin Steele - The Raven Song

Kind of ok then really gay eh 4.5/10

Helloween - Eagle Fly Free

Eurovision metal. 3/10

Forest of Harambe - I Am Harambe
(0:00-4:48 of this video ONLY)
I don't understand 2/10

King's Ransom - Caged Animals
Pretty terrible. 3/10

Bathory - The Stallion

Plods along, ok, nothing remarkable 5/10

Skepticism - The Gallant Crow

Boring 3/10

Exodus - Piranha

I'm not even that into this album but it's a breath of fresh air after everything so far. 7.5/10

Gaza - Mostly Hair and Bones Now

Absolutely crushing 10/10

The Obsessed - Sodden Jackal

This is all sorts of cool 8/10

Obliteration - Goat Skull Crown

Liking this also 7/10

Destroyer 666 - Unchain the Wolves

I don't mind some of what I've heard of this band but this is pretty shit 4/10

Dio - 10 well if HBaby can do it...

Summoning - 7 this band, i always like the first 3 minutes of their songs, but then they drag it on for another 5

Slauter Xstroyes - 6 needs polish, decent.

Virgin Steele - 8 it's good. I'd like them to take a step farther in the progressive direction, and be a bit more heavy, but it's good.

Helloween - 5 annoying in an iron maiden way, the riffs are sometimes interesting

Harambe - 0 joke picks are better when they're funny

King's Ransom - 3 if you're going to have clean vocals, they better be good. same with guitar solos.

Bathory - 7.5 this is one of the in-crowd picks around here that has its moments. The Chasm is another.

Skepticism - 1 yawn

Exodus - 7 these guys are B or C-rate thrash riffwise but the vocals are interesting on this album.

Gaza - 7.5 this intensity is refreshing tbh. some nu-metal/core going on here but it's full of rage.

The Obsessed - 7 they set a consistent sort of black sabbath mood which i dig. Some element is missing, i think it's the key/riff changes Sabbath would have.

Obliteration - 8 one of the better "new-osdm" bands, but not the best.

Destroyer 666 - 7 much better when it picks up

Dio - Lock Up the Wolves 6.5/10

This is perfectly fine. It's got a lot of Manowar going on in it and that main riff is fucking awesome.

Summoning - Rotting Horse on Deadly Ground 7/10

What a great fucking band. Silenius sounds like a fucking madman on this song and the layers are just wonderful. Dat melody is great too.

Slauter Xstroyes - Winter Kill 8.5/10

Chicago classic! I've seen these goofy fucks live too. Great fucking song. It's so damn goofy but awesome.

Virgin Steele - The Raven Song 7.5/10

I've actually never heard the first part of the Marriage of Heaven and Hell so this is pretty fresh. David's the fucking man and this has everything that makes Virgin Steele that awesome.

Helloween - Eagle Fly Free 6/10

Not sure if this album was actually recorded so thin or if it's just a shitty upload but I've heard better sound albums recorded with a fucking rockband microphone and audacity. The music is fine but for whatever reason I cannot get into Helloween.

Forest of Harambe - I am the Harambe 10/10

Harambe died for this. But seriously, this is actually impressive sounding. It sounds like it was recorded in some junkie's unfinished basement in some bullshit town in Norway. This is more kvlt sounding than Fullmoon. I love this.

King's Ransom - Caged Animals 7/10

What the fuck is this? Crazy obscure shit from Texas? I'm interested. Weird sounding and those fucking animal sounds are hilarious sounding, but I dig it.

Bathory - The Stallion 8/10

Fucking legendary band. Blood on the Ice never gets enough spins from me compared to Hammerheart, Under the Sign, or The Return but it's a damn fine album. You can hear Quorthon's vocals improving which helps but it loses some of the charm in the process.

Skepticism - The Gallant Crow 6/10

I'm a sucker for super huge keys in my music but I've never really been into Skepticism. This is cool though, might have to check this one out.

Exodus - Piranha 4/10

Exodus are definitely one of the worst thrash bands of the big names. Big fucking meh here.

Gaza - Mostly Hair and Bones Now 3/10

This is some of that real lame angry man/tough guy shit. Hatebreed, Lamb of God, etc. At least it's short.

The Obsessed - Sodden Jackal 9/10

It's pretty hard to believe that something this heavy was probably written in the 70s. Brilliant riffs, a nasty ass solo, and some of The Obsessed's darkest lyrics. Love it.

Obliteration - Goat Skull Crown 6.5/10

I'm still pretty disinterested in death metal these days but this is pretty damn solid stuff. I especially like when it slows down. More of that.

Destroyer 666 - Unchain the Wolves 8/10

I don't get the hate here. D666 is fucking legendary and Keith's onstage and offstage antics are fucking hilarious. There's a few better tracks on this album (Genesis to Genocide is particularly amazing) but this is a good one. Not much more to say. Fucking Unchain the Wolves!

Reactions: CiG
Dio - Lock Up the Wolves - 10
Summoning - The Rotten Horse on the Deadly Ground - 7
Slauter Xstroyes - Winter Kill - 4
Virgin Steele - The Raven Song - 8
Helloween - Eagle Fly Free - 6
Forest of Harambe - I Am Harambe - 8
King's Ransom - Caged Animals - 4
Bathory - The Stallion - 5
Skepticism - The Gallant Crow - 6
Exodus - Piranha - 8
Gaza - Mostly Hair and Bones Now - 2
The Obsessed - Sodden Jackal - 1
Obliteration - Goat Skull Crown - 7
Destroyer 666 - Unchain the Wolves - 6

Reactions: Baroque and CiG
Dio - Lock Up the Wolves
oh hey it's basically just a middling manowar song and the people who shit on manowar are praising it how surprising 5/10

Summoning - The Rotten Horse on the Deadly Ground

it's hard to explain why i like some summoning songs a lot more than others, but i guess it's 'cause they straddle the line between bedroom casio cheeseball nerdage and evocative, gorgeously textured soundscapes i can get lost in. this one's kind of in the middle for me - it's definitely a bad youtube but the mixing on that album is weird anyway, kinda more suited to industrial metal. i prefer more meat to the guitars with this band (hence my being a DOL GULDUR fanboy) 6/10

Slauter Xstroyes - Winter Kill

i first heard this album on the same day i first heard METAL FROM HELL, TITAN FORCE and MASTER CONTROL, that was a good day i can tell you. this one's messy as hell but ecstatic in its best moments and it sucks you into its weird ass narrative, so a typical xstroyes song basically. 8/10

Virgin Steele - The Raven Song

this double concept album is only occasionally spectacular, but the fact that it manages to stay reasonably consistent despite being extremely long and multi-faceted is admirable. how many times do such ventures veer into disjointedness and pomposity? these guys avoid those pitfalls, and they have just the right combination of earnest emotion, propulsive force and compositional savvy to go down nicely. i haven't heard anything beyond this two-parter though, should i? 7/10

Helloween - Eagle Fly Free

this makes me happy. 8/10

Forest of Harambe - I Am Harambe

united apean evil. 6/10

King's Ransom - Caged Animals

might normally be a bit pantomime for me but there's a unity of theme and sound here i enjoy. also it's super weird and anxious in that way only bargain bin '80s prog metal can be. 7.5/10

Bathory - The Stallion

a shame this album wasn't released when it was recorded, doesn't get nearly enough love. 7.5/10

Skepticism - The Gallant Crow

grand, aching music; a sound sculpted from earth, oak and sky. food for the soul. 10/10

Exodus - Piranha

i don't get why people paint them as being purely meatheaded anthemic fare when their sound is so fucking alien and menacing. 'tis gleeful b-movie fun too, of course. 10/10

Gaza - Mostly Hair and Bones Now
6.5/10

The Obsessed - Sodden Jackal

almost an icecross vibe to this one, along with sabbath 'n early pentagram obviously. all over the place with an annoyingly trebly sound but still very cool. 7/10

Obliteration - Goat Skull Crown

obliteration rules. 8/10

Destroyer 666 - Unchain the Wolves

whatever i won't bother downrating this as i'm sure it won't win. tbh i haven't paid that much attention to what was or wasn't on theme this round but most of it seemed fine? 8/10

fun list. for once i have no idea what's gonna win this round offhand.

yeah but if i recall the reason it wasn't completed is he was worried about the change in direction alienating his fanbase or w/e. shouldda just rolled with it! i'm not sure exactly which parts were written when though.

Reactions: CiG
I don't think that he made new recordings. I'm pretty sure that he just finished editing it and remastered the existing recordings to make sure that they sounded up to par. It's a great album.