Themed Mixtape Game

Talking about dead threads...the only people that make updates in the "Traditional Doom Metal" thread is me, rms (who basically only posts there), and Rumpole the one time he is around in 3 months...

Also, I bet I'd get along quite well with Ozz IRL. You know, people often make fun of other people that they consider friends.

:)

Voivod – Tornado

Classic Voivod, this one has never been a favorite from the album for me but it’s still obviously great. 8/10.

Cephalic Carnage - The Isle of California

Pretty decent. 6/10.

Immortal - Unsilent Storms in the North Abyss

A little less decent. Ambiguously thematic. 3/10.

Bal-Sagoth - Atlantis Ascendant

Gave me initial shitty vibes, but there were actually some cool riffs mixed in with the JRPG battle keyboards. Although it went bad again when it got folky. 3/10.

Lust - Smoke on the Hills

Kvlt pick, unfortunately this isn’t very good. The vocalist is borderline, but I could probably appreciate him if the instrumentation was better. The kinda mournful vibe is cool, good atmosphere, but overall, nah. 5/10.

Fueled by Fire – Catastrophe

Boring, I didn’t feel the slightest urge to even tap my foot. 3/10.

Megadeth - Tornado of Souls

Classic but totally off-theme. 0/10.

Division Speed - Freezing Cold

Woah, this was really good. Great energy, great sound, vocalist almost has a Sabina Classen thing going. I wish it was a little more topical, Russia being a cold place in winter is nature, and I suppose it was a disaster for the Nazi’s plans, but not a natural disaster. 7/10.

Manilla Road - The Deluge

Great song, Randy Foxe really makes it. 8/10.

Midnight - Destroy Tsunami's Power

First non-shit song I’ve heard from Midnight. The lyrics seem like they’re about nuking Japan though. 5/10.

Altered State - Winter Warlock

Still haven’t heard the full comp, but this is the best track from the demo. Ski is an amazing singer. Winter isn’t a natural disaster though. 6/10.

Demolition Hammer – Cataclysm

Yeah fine whatever I won’t downrate this. Definitive and best Demolition Hammer, 10/10.

Einherjer - Fimbul Winter

This is the only Einherjer album I’ve listened to before, probably an entire fucking decade ago. I don’t know if it’s some kind of dormant nostalgia or what, but this was surprisingly good. Riffs all the way through, thick bassy sound, no symphonic or folksy lameness as I’d usually expect. I’m downrating the Ball Sag song further because this one does this thing so much better. 8/10.

Voivod - Tornado 7.5/10

Cephalic Carnage - The Isle of California 4/10
Shit band.

Immortal - Unsilent Storms in the North Abyss 10/10
The lyrics might be ambiguous for the theme, but musically this feels like being stuck in a violent snowstorm.

Bal-Sagoth
- Atlantis Ascendant 6/10
Cheesy as fuck but quite endearing.

Lust
- Smoke on the Hills 7.5/10

Fueled by Fire
- Catastrophe 6/10
Not bad.

Megadeth
- Tornado of Souls 2/10
Good song, but no way you can call it on theme.

Division Speed
- Freezing Cold 7.5/10
This is actually pretty fucking good.

Manilla Road
- The Deluge 9/10
This is obviously amazing. Elric picked it no doubt.

Midnight - Destroy Tsunami's Power 6.5/10
Plenty of tasteful people like this band but I just can't get into them. It's decent.

Altered State - Winter Warlock 8.5/10
This rules.

Demolition Hammer
- Cataclysm 8/10

Einherjer
- Fimbul Winter 5.5/10
Not awful. The production is really strange on this.

Voivod - 9
Cephalic Carnage - 7
Immortal - 6
Bal-Sagoth - 7.5
Lust - 1
Fueled by Fire - 9.5
Megadeth - 10
Division Speed - 7.5
Manilla Road - 4
Midnight - 6.5
Altered State - 5
Demolition Hammer - 8