Themed Mixtape Game

imo: If you don't agree with non-metal songs being on the playlist, then give it a low score. It will bring the average down so the song doesn't win anyway. The song's not really a threat to you winning anyway. I don't see any reason to rant about it being there

[EDIT] oops didn't see this was resolved

Reactions: Funerary_Doom
After listening to this Hemotoxin EP for a 3rd time this evening (damn it's good), I'm gonna grab a glass of whiskey and listen to this playlist. Seems like a must to drink to it.

@Baroque if stating the facts is ranting than i guess i'm ranting.

I'm not really worried about winning, and im sure as shit not going to win this round. I wouldn't even feel like running the game/averaging the scores and all that shit anyway. The main reason i was playing is to try and discover and listen to other metal tracks that i havent heard before/aren't in my library and see what others had to say too. All im saying is that if you guys think a rock songs belongs on a metal playlist, than you have no room to say that the TBDM track doesn't. Plenty of people handed out zeros to that track for "not belonging" here, so i dont see why me saying that im going to give ZZ top a zero for the same reason is some how bothersome.

I'm not really worried about winning, and im sure as shit not going to win this round. I wouldn't even feel like running the game/averaging the scores and all that shit anyway. The main reason i was playing is to try and discover and listen to other metal tracks that i havent heard before/aren't in my library and see what others had to say too. All im saying is that if you guys think a rock songs belongs on a metal playlist, than you have no room to say that the TBDM track doesn't. Plenty of people handed out zeros to that track for "not belonging" here, so i dont see why me saying that im going to give ZZ top a zero for the same reason is some how bothersome.

Yeah that's my point, if a song doesn't belong it will get voted down anyway, so winning songs are going to be metal. I'm fine with you giving it a zero if you don't like it. Just the way it was presented seemed like you were angry, which implies you were ranting. Whatevs, it's all good dude.

My reviews are going to be short and shitty this time around, but I don't have much to say about most of these songs.

Gehennah – Piss Off I’m Drinking – 4/10

Kind of what I expected. Not bad, but not interesting. Still felt too long.

ZZ Top – Beer Drinkers & Hell Raisers – 6/10

Solid stuff, may not be metal but it's rocking enough to fit in perfectly with this theme.

Kawir – Hell Bacchus – 5/10

Lol, not my usual thing and pretty damn cheesy.

Tankard – Need Money for Beer – 7/10

Surprisingly enjoyable.

Thin Lizzy – Got to Give It Up – 10/10

One of my very favorite Thin Lizzy songs, perfect mixture of metallic harmony and groove.

Brocas Helm – Drink and Drive – 4/10

One of my very least favorite Brocas Helm songs, dumb as fuck. I’d rate it lower if their drummer wasn’t so consistently busy and awesome.

Alestorm – Drink – 5/10

Bad initial impression with that chuggy intro. The singalong and dancy parts were ok though.

Faustcoven – Whisky Demon – 6/10

Nice filthy stuff, a little bit of a Goatlord vibe I guess, enjoyed it.

Sarcofago – Alcoholic Coma – 3/10

Haven’t listened to this album in a really long time, didn’t like this any more than before. Intense but very rigid, kind of annoying.

Iron Void – Demon Drink – 4/10

I swear the delivery of the first two lines combined with the riff and everything else is straight out of something else. A Paul Chain song? Post-debut Cathedral? I don’t know but this feels annoyingly unoriginal. Liked the solo and faster middle/end section though.

Cross Examination – Blackout – 7/10

Had heard of these guys but never tried listening. First impression, I like this, vocalist sounds a little more unhinged than most retro-thrash dudes, and the song goes a few different places (even though I’m not sure about ending; maybe it would make more sense/be funnier in the context of the full album). Going to give this album a listen.

Black Flag – Six Pack – 5/10

Eh, not bad but not one of my favorites from the album. Better than TV Party at least.

Barbatos – Satanik Beer – 3/10

Didn’t grab me in the slightest, but weeb metal is usually overrated.

Acid Bath – Cheap Vodka – 6/10

One of the weaker songs on the album, but still good.

Candlemass – Epistle No. 81 – 3/10

Can’t stand this album, feels like Candlemass on autopilot. Totally robotic drumming, guitars are nothing more than a few shitty power chords, blech. Sad thing is that half the album is still worse. Didn’t know this song had anything to do with alcohol and reading the lyrics I’m still not quite sure I’m getting it, but yeah, at least I learned something.

Metallica – Whiskey in the Jar – 3/10

Used to like this but not anymore.

Saint Vitus – Dying Inside – 7/10

As with the other Vitus track, would have enjoyed it more in the car, but whatevs. Mood-wise more what I prefer in an alcohol-themed song, at least.

Huh, I'm the only person that doesn't hate the Cross Examination vocalist, let alone really liking him. lol

Reactions: Baroque
@Baroque if stating the facts is ranting than i guess i'm ranting.

TBDM didn't belong because of theme rather than genre which is obviously a different thing. we also had an ambient track in the first round, and black flag also isn't metal here, and neither is that fucking metallica cover lol. just rate it 0, don't even listen to it if you don't want, and move on - no one cares if you do that, stop pretending like everyone's getting emotional when it's just you. people who care about winning will soon get the message and stop picking non-metal, anyway.

personally i think it's fine as long as it's all heavy music, or music related to metal, which hard rock, hardcore punk and ambient all are. but i don't think we should make rules, just let that be reflected in our ratings. *shrug*

Reactions: Vegard Pompey
1. Gehennah - Piss off I’m Drinking - 7
kickass track, just wish the guitar tone was less buzzy

2. ZZ Top - Beer Drinkers and Hell Raisers - 7
very chill head-bobber

3. Kawir - Hail Bacchus - 6
vocals sound kinda dumb. some good riffs though

4. Tankard - Need Money for Beer - 8
this is the shit!

5. Thin Lizzy - Got to Give it Up - 5
not my thing

6. Brocas Helm - Drink and Drive - 5
noisy and bad production

7. Alestorm - Drink - 9
makes me wanna chug a pint!

8. Faustcoven - Whiskey Demon - 6
real gloomy and crushing and shit. monotonous though

9. Sarcofago - Alcoholic Coma - 5
needs a better guitar tone and singer

10. Iron Void - Demon Drink - 3
fast doom riffs dont work for me

11. Cross Examination - Blackout - 3
annoying. the riffs mightve been good but i didnt wait to find out

12. Black Flag - Six Pack - 4
punk sucks

13. Barbatos - Satanik Beer - 5
subpar vocals hindered my enjoyment of the instrumentation

14. Acid Bath - Cheap Vodka - 6
pretty cool

15. Candlemass - Epistle No. 81 - 3
sounds like a fatass having a hard time taking a huge dump

16. Metallica - Whiskey in the Jar - 9
i considered submitting this. makes me wanna dance!

17. Saint Vitus - Dying Inside - 5
not gonna lie, that's some expressive guitar playing. but the song would have benefited from a thrashy shredding part, a deathcore breakdown and some growls

Last edited: