Themed Mixtape Game

Slayer – Payback

It’s not peak Slayer and the lyrics are juvenile, but it’s far from bad. 5/10.

Razor - Shotgun Justice

And this isn’t any better. The riffcount is higher but if anything it sounds a lot less malicious. Both are pretty much by-the-books thrash. 5/10.

Guided Cradle - Revenge of the Orcs

Started promising exactly what the title implied, but pretty average stuff after that, way too simple/uninteresting in the riff/vocal play. The Creeping Death bit to the end was nice though, actually the whole warm sound and way the melody came in was probably the most legit homages to Ride the Lightning I’ve heard, so slight bonus points there. 6/10.

Kronos - Monumental Carnage

Liked the guitar solo, the rest didn’t engage me. Pretty repetitious. 4/10.

Morlok VonGrimorog – Melekron

Quite possibly the greatest metal song of this decade. In delivery the opposite of pretentious yet it blows every single other newer band with early Mercyful Fate influence away in terms of recapturing their progressive and unwieldy songwriting, a modern day Satan’s Fall. The less-rapey Legend of the Overfiend revenge story is hilarious taken at its own value and from the sheer audacity of writing a nearly 16 minute epic out of it. There is nothing about this that isn’t brilliant. 10/10.

Rosenfeld – Revenger

Production and performance give this an edge over the other standard thrashy songs submitted so far. I need to give them a proper chance I guess, one of those first Japanese bands people hear about cuz of the Nazi imagery but this is a lot more competent than I thought they were. 7/10.

Rigor Mortis - Shroud of Gloom

Pretty much the band that made me realize the existence of the in-crowd. The arrangement is even simpler than Payback, the riffs are upbeat and happy, vocalist is totally corny, I’ve never understood what puts this band on a level better than any mid-tier American demo thrash band from the same time period. I mean yeah Scaccia had speed behind him and the one-guitar sound is kinda cool when they bring the bass up front during the solo, but whatever. Also, I don’t see this as thematic, “senseless murder”, unless this is based on a horror movie with very strong revenge themes that isn’t explained in this song, this is seems to be about a serial killer with a slight occult vibe. (4/2)/10 = 2/10.

Paradox - Crusaders Revenge

Solid but one of the less interesting songs from this album but solid, great solo at least. 5/10.

Glacier – Vendetta

I think this EP gets a little more praise than it deserves especially when their 1988 demo is a masterpiece, but this sound is undoubtedly great. Lovely harmonies everywhere and dark dramatic tension. 8/10.

Zemial - For a Fallen One

A good example of ‘black metal’ being such a meaningless term. Just another blackened Manowar. Although actually the solo and segue into the acoustic part were very pleasant, the overall sound is nice I’ll admit. If these bands didn’t have a tendency of repeating one riff a thousand times I’d enjoy them, but it’s just so lazy and tiring half-assing a song like this. 3/10.

Grand Magus - Silver into Steel

I gave this album a few tries ages ago and always hated it, but this is appealing to me now, a lot warmer and more passionate than I remember. Unfortunately there’s nothing about revenge here. (8/2)/10 = 4/10.

Virgin Steele - Wings of Vengeance

That chorus seriously could have come out of some 90s dance song. Whole song is pretty catchy and solid for them actually, a few more riffs than typical though the drumming is still robotic. 6/10.

Cemetary – Scars

Solid Swedeath but not that distinguished, some hints of the atmospheric sound they’re praised for but it’s for the best that this one is short. 5/10.

The Shadow Order - Strife For Revenge

This is some of the softest and most sentimental black metal I’ve heard. I’d like for that to be an insult but I actually liked this a lot, weird stuff but intriguing. 8/10.

Aeternus - Sworn Revenge

Song works a lot better out of the context of its album. The National Geographic melodies and strum-a-strum riffs are nice, almost reminds me of something in the artsier side of the 90s alt rock world though I can’t quite place it. The more black metal-y parts are uninteresting but tolerable in small doses. 6/10.

Diamond Head - Am I Evil?

Obviously a classic. 10/10.

Black Death – Retribution

Badass USPM from start to finish, excellent way to close the playlist. 8/10.

l don't particularly care for the slayer song, but it's not that bad, so l will say people are downvoting it not, necessarily, out of hate but, as a game changer or to be cool

I think this is pure bullshit. I gate it a 3/10 because I didn't like it that much, that's it, no large conspiracy and no need to psychoanalyze it.

Slayer - Payback
3/10
r/JustLearnedTheFWord
Also, this song has been posted before, where I previously gave it a 4, so it gets a 3 for being recycled rubbish.

Razor - Shotgun Justice
6.5/10
I'm not partial enough to bog standard thrash to relish this.

Guided Cradle - Revenge of the Orcs
7.5/10
I prefer crusty thrash if it's going to be a straightforward asskicking experience.

Kronos - Monumental Carnage
8/10
It comes to a promising start with the introductory riff, as this turns out to be a deftly executed display of brutality, which never falls into monotony.

Morlok VonGrimorog - Melekron
7.5/10
There were definitely some interesting ideas going on here, although there were also points in the song where I was bored. It's hard to win someone over to a band by starting off with such a long song, but I've posted a couple 16 minute songs in the past, so I'll grant some leniency on the matter.

Rosenfeld - Revenger
7/10

Rigor Mortis - Shroud of Gloom
8/10
Delivers a straight ahead thrash assault that has genuine

Paradox - Crusaders Revenge
7.5/10

Glacier - Vendetta
8.5/10
A good USPM gem.

Zemial - For a Fallen One
7.5/10
A bit plodding, but it has a solid atmosphere.

Grand Magus - Silver into Steel
8.5/10
The simple, yet mighty chorus is what makes it.

Virgin Steele - Wings of Vengeance
9/10
Lesser bands could not pull off a chorus like that.

Cemetary - Scars
8.5/10
They sure did change a lot in two years, didn't they?

The Shadow Order - Strife For Revenge
8.5/10
Icy cold grimness

Aeternus - Sworn Revenge
8/10
Good band, not an all-time favorite though.

Diamond Head - Am I Evil?
9.5/10
It may be Metallica that introduced me to the song, but it is an immortal classic - with one of the most iconic solos in metal - and the main reason I saw the band live last summer.

Black Death - Retribution
8/10
African-Americaner than the African-Americanest African-American times infinity.

How there's nothing about revenge in Silver into Steel? :err:

What's it even about? It uses the word once but I feel like they meant to use a different word like "recompense" or something. The song doesn't identify who wants revenge, and it doesn't identify what the revenge is against (it should explain who/what caused "the times of despair"; a person doesn't get revenge against time unless they're some kind of chronomancer or some shit). The two interpretations I'm drawing is that the song is either about a werewolf or a mercenary, neither of which satisfy my standards of revenge.

"Time is at hand

Gathering hunger in the night
To feast and to burn
Look for the right of his hands
Summon a feeling of might
Caressed by the dark
The glow of the moon in the eye

Kissing the sweet taste in the air
Embraced by the stars
A home has been found in the end
Time is at hand
Of triumph and sense
A revenge for the times of despair

Silver into Steel "

Slayer - Payback 3/10
This certainly is something. Cringiest song ever.

Razor - Shotgun Justice 7/10
Would be higher but it takes too long to get going, though when it does it doesn't stop at all

Guided Cradle - Revenge of the Orcs 8/10
I can think of very few genres that can't be improved by adding crust to it

Kronos - Monumental Carnage 6/10
Used to love this album, not so much anymore, but still a solid song

Morlok VonGrimorog - Melekron 3/10
This is fucking stupid

Rosenfeld - Revenger 9/10
Riffs rip and the vocals sound the right kind of unhinged, thin production gives it a 'sharpness' it'd lack otherwise

Rigor Mortis - Shroud of Gloom 8/10

Paradox - Crusaders Revenge 8/10
This was almost my pick

Glacier - Vendetta 8/10
Good stuff, never heard before, will investigate more

Zemial - For a Fallen One 8/10
Need to listen to this album more, love it

Grand Magus - Silver into Steel 6/10
Not doing it for me for some reason

Virgin Steele - Wings of Vengeance 9/10
David DeFeis is unstoppable when he's on, and here he's on

Cemetary - Scars 8/10

The Shadow Order - Strife For Revenge 5/10
Not sure if the headache I got came from this song, or if its just a coincidence

Aeternus - Sworn Revenge 9/10

Diamond Head - Am I Evil? 8/10

Black Death - Retribution 8/10

Headache near the end so sorry for no descriptions for last few

A black metal track that HBB rated as 8 and Omni rated 1. What is this. What do you dislike so much about that Shadow Order song?

it's the kind of strange nonsense i most want from black metal personally. that otherworldly shit that sounds like it was made by backwater cretins with no sense of metal/music history or professional songwriting standards, just expressing some fanatical retard worldview with utter passion and conviction. most more widely accepted BM is just tweaking a blueprint or attempting contrived, self-conscious experimentation, and those approaches can reap great rewards at times, but there's a ceiling on how fresh and authentic it can feel. there's no ceiling on stuff made my crazy people, weirdos from obscure places, people insulated from society or from genre blueprints, etc. that removal from normality has really been the essence of black metal's appeal for me since i was 14, and metal's primary appeal in general.

it's the kind of strange nonsense i most want from black metal personally. that otherworldly shit that sounds like it was made by backwater cretins with no sense of metal/music history or professional songwriting standards, just expressing some fanatical retard worldview with utter passion and conviction. most more widely accepted BM is just tweaking a blueprint or attempting contrived, self-conscious experimentation, and those approaches can reap great rewards at times, but there's a ceiling on how fresh and authentic it can feel. there's no ceiling on stuff made my crazy people, weirdos from obscure places, people insulated from society or from genre blueprints, etc. that removal from normality has really been the essence of black metal's appeal for me since i was 14, and metal's primary appeal in general.

That is an excellent review of the Flames of Hell LP.