Themed Mixtape Game

Alright, I've submitted two songs. My first pick is sure to do rather well, but probably not enough to win to the grand prize. My second pick is sure to be hated by many, but I expect that there may actually be people who are more than just "meh" about it.

EDIT: Nevermind, it seems I was too late, alas.

Last edited:
Alright you fucking faggots. Here we fucking go!

Candlemass - A Sorcerer's Pledge

Carnivore - Jesus Hitler

Seance - Reincarnage

Cirith Ungol - King of the Dead

Slayer - Reborn

Death - Zombie Ritual

Holy Terror - “Distant Calling”

Demigod - Reincarnation (Unholy Domain version)

Sacrifice - Re-animation

Tormentor - Damned Grave

Yuri Gagarin - “The New World Order”

A.M.S.G. - Reincarnation of the Sun

The Chasm - Fiery Rebirth

Target - Ultimate Unity

Burzum - “Dunkelheit"

Candlemass - 8/10 I prefer Messiah on vocals, but this song is still killer.
Carnivore - 6/10 Be sure to read the lyrics while listening, I lol'd. Decent joke song.
Seance - 7/10 Solid death metal, but nothing spectacular.
Cirith Ungol - 8/10 Going to give this band another chance. This was pretty good.
Slayer - 9/10 Basically Slayer's version of a crossover song.
Death - 9.5/10 For a second I was questioning if Death can outdo Slayer played back to back. Yes, yes they can.
Holy Terror - 6/10 Never really got into this "thrash" band. Sounds more like a power metal band imo. It's ok.
Demigod - 8/10 Back when we did the top death metal bands thread, this band was one of the big new discoveries for me. Man this demo version is dirty sounding.
Sacrifice - 8/10 This is one of those thrash bands I fall in and out with. It's been long enough it's time to give them another chance again.
Tormentor - 3/10 You are the weakest link, goodbye.
Yuri Gagarin - 8.5/10 Really excited to see this on here. I just listened to this album a week or two ago and enjoyed it. Guess we do have some current stoner/space rock fans after all.
A.M.S.G. - 4/10 MSG for the ears
The Chasm - 9/10 I've only heard one album by these dudes in full, that needs to change.
Target - 9.5/10 Not the best Target song, but a great Target song, and it fits the theme.
Burzum - 5/10 It's decent for black metal of this type, and yet, I'm still bored after 2-3 mins.

Overall though, this was a damn nice list.

This album is a masterpiece and this song rules. Good start. 9/10

Carnivore - Jesus Hitler
I never actually noticed what this song was about. Twisted in a way only Peter Steele could be. 7/10

Seance - Reincarnage
Average death metal that doesn't really impact me one way or another. 6/10

Cirith Ungol - King Of The Dead
I enjoyed all 6 minutes and 48 seconds of this song. One of the greatest bands of all time and the lyrics also rule hard. 10/10

Slayer - Reborn
"I signed the book in red.
My rage will be unleashed again.
Burning the next morn.
Death means nothing there is no end.
I will be reborn."

Quick and deadly! Enough said. Hail.
9/10

Death - Zombie Ritual
Instantly takes me back to being a 13 year old. Instant love. Instant entry into the metal underground. Can't ever be fucked with. 9/10

Holy Terror - Distant Calling
Probably their best song, it's up there. 7/10

I almost submitted this but changed my mind. That guitar tone is disgusting. Killer fucking demo overall. 7/10

Sacrifice - Re-Animation
"Raging uncontrollably, pummeling with spite."

Sexy and heavy.
7/10

Tormentor - Damned Grave
This can't be denied. I destroy beer to this demo all the time, only to be reincarnated the morning after with less of a functioning brain. Ugh! 9/10

Yuri Gagarin - The New World Order
Cool jaw harp at the start. Not necessarily my kind of thing but I can appreciate it within the playlist. Cool spaced-out vibes too and a ripping solo. 6/10

A.M.S.G. - Reincarnation Of The Sun
I love the unorthodox sound going on with this track. 7/10

This fucking rules. I really need to buy some stuff by this band. ASAP. Especially impressed with the vocal sound and the lyrics. 8/10

Target - Ultimate Unity
"She’s reborn, dehumanised.
No longer man or machine.
The first of a new kind, the mumans.
Born for the future."

Great fucking riffs all throughout this song, topped off with a cool, original plot in the lyrics.
7/10

Burzum - Dunkelheit
"Suddenly...
Life has new meaning."

My favourite choice on the list. I really don't have words to describe my appreciation for this band, album, song...
10/10

Last edited:

About as close to perfect as doom gets imo. Sheer epic magic, conjures images from some of my favourite high fantasy novels. An easy 10/10

Carnivore - Jesus Hitler

Not huge on crossover, but Carnivore nail it. "I have returned. Reich und Roll!" 7.5/10

Seance - Reincarnage

I've always appreciated the bludgeoning, brute force of Fornever Laid to Rest. If I made a top ten Swedeath list it'd easily make it. 8/10

Fucking in-crowd metal. "Who has dared to desecrate his crypt?!" 10/10

Slayer - Reborn

And here I thought I had a chance with my choice. 10/10

Death - Zombie Ritual

Death's best song. Or maybe the one with the Sortilege intro. "FUCKING RAPING ZOMBIE WHORES!" 9/10

Holy Terror - Distant Calling

Not overly familiar with Holy Terror. This is good stuff. 7.5/10

Demigod - Reincarnation

Classic, eerie and vile Finnish death metal. 9/10

Sacrifice - Re-Animation

Love Sacrifice's first two. It's been way too long since I last listened to this. 8/10

Tormentor - Damned Grave

Love the way the song builds up to the section around 2:30, and then into the solo like it's completely losing control. Deadly. Fantastic choice. 9/10

Yuri Gagarin - The New World Order

I enjoyed this more than I expected, but it has the misfortune of being in hallowed company up 'til this point. 7/10

A.M.S.G - Reincarnation of the Sun

This would've probably fit in better with my tastes a decade or more ago. Far too long for this sort of thing though imo. 6/10

The Chasm can do no wrong. 9.5/10

Target - Ultimate Unity

I'm still annoyed that I missed out on Stormspell's reissue of Target's two albums. The vocalist isn't my favourite, but the music rules. 7/10

Burzum - Dunkelheit

I'm not as big on Burzum as most black metal fans. I seldom ever feel like listening to his music, although that may have more to do with it being mercilessly driven into the ground by people I surrounded myself with a decade ago. Still, this is about as good as "atmospheric black metal" gets. 8/10

8/10. This album is a classic doom metal piece.

Carnivore - Jesus Hitler
10/10. One of my favorite songs ever. Seen live shortly before Steele kicked the bucket.

Seance - Reincarnage
7/10. I also know this album, it's alright death metal. As Malign stated, it's very heavy.

10/10. Another epic classic, this obviously rules.

Slayer - Reborn
10/10. Oh well. A lot of familiar stuff on this playlist!

Death - Zombie Ritual
7/10. Not bad especially considering it's Death. I believe Malign when he says it's their best song.

8/10. I currently have this album on my traveling iPod and it's becoming one of my thrash favorites. They do these catchy choruses sometimes but still remain heavy, I like the singer too and everything. This is one of the less thrashy songs though, melodic throughout.

9/10. I'm probably not familiar with the demo version. I obviously know their album and I think it's a little overrated in the internet circles. Great death metal nevertheless. This demo has a dirty fucking sound. I do like that even more.

Sacrifice - Re-animation
7/10. I also have listened to this band several times in the last ~week coincidentally. Solid thrash.

Tormentor - Damned Grave
8/10. Another classic. This playlist contains a lot of correct music.

5/10. Heavy spacerock? Doesn't sound bad but doesn't really go anywhere either, goes on and on and then ends with an ambient outro.

Not available. EDIT: 6/10.

8/10. Good album, another I'm familiar with.

Target - Ultimate Unity
7/10. Not bad not bad.

Burzum - “Dunkelheit"
10/10. It's Filosofem.

Last edited:
Loved some parts, hated some parts. Trad Doom is not my thing though and I prefer the stuff I've heard with Messiah. 6/10

Carnivore - Jesus Hitler
This is cool and I'm gonna check out more of this band for sure. So Sabbath when they kicked in. 7.5/10

Seance - Reincarnage
Weak vocals. Music is great though. 7/10

Fuck this is awesome. Huge vocalist. I cannot believe this is from 84. I'll be buying this asap. Apparently I'm very late to the party but I'm totally down with the in-crowd. 9/10

Slayer - Reborn
It's great to listen to this track out on its own instead of in the context of the album. "Leave you ripped and toooorrrrrrnnnnn" 10/10

Death - Zombie Ritual
First time I've listened to this in a long time. It's a lot better than I remember. 8.5/10

Pretty tough following those 3. Very Maidenish, gallops, guitar harmonies and wailing. Nothing remarkable. 4/10

Absolutely fucking gargantuan guitar sound that just about kills everything. Pretty good though. 7.5/10

Sacrifice - Re-animation
Thought I wasn't going to like it after the death metal but I loved it. 8/10

Tormentor - Damned Grave
I can appreciate that this is Black Metal that is good, even though I don't like it. If I liked Black Metal, this is what I'd be listening to. 6/10

I
t's 1999 and I dunno what the fuck is gonna happen when the millennium hits but I hope that y2k doesn't happen because that would suck hard, man, because of the robots and everything but I'm glad that I took those mushrooms because now I've got a good feeling that maybe everything's gonna be ok and maybe we're gonna be alright for a while and OH MY GOD this tune fucking RULES man 7/10

This hurts my ears. Worst production. Worst song so far. 2/10

I like these guys from what I've heard. I need to further investigate. Deathly as hell and slightly not normal. 8/10

Target - Ultimate Unity
Not a huge fan of the vocalist but there is some interesting shit going on in here. 7.5/10

Burzum - “Dunkelheit"
Oh look out it's Varg. I've really tried to like this guy's music because of this forum, but there's no way. This is so bad. This is teenagers slitting their wrists. Ooh the spooky keyboards. Oooh his screams of anguish. Fuck. off. 1/10

Glad to see a mix that wasn't 90% trad, black or trad doom. Lots of stuff in there that I probably wouldn't have checked out because I'm such a lazy bastard these days. I'm going back to listen to things I liked for a second crack immediately. Cheers.

This fucking rules. I really need to buy some stuff by this band. ASAP. Especially impressed with the vocal sound and the lyrics. 8/10

You do because this isn't even close to being one of their best songs imo. I think it does sound better here than on the album where it comes after the fucking massive "Callous Spectre/Vehement Opposition".

You do because this isn't even close to being one of their best songs imo. It does sound better here than on the album where it comes after the fucking massive "Callous Spectre/Vehement Opposition".

Indeed. It's one of my weakest spots if I'm honest.
I actually do have their debut but evidently they get much better further down the road.

Reactions: Phylactery