Themed Mixtape Game

Candle Mass:
Great stuff, It is solid and one of the best doom acts in metal. This specific song is fantastic
9/10
Carnivore:
Jesus Hitler. Haven't heard a single song by this band, and I really like their music. It's less about the edgy, kvltness of the name and more about the music. Slightly above average
6/10
Seance - Reincarnage
Some great old schools stuff here, love it
8/10
Cirith Ungol - King of the Dead
Not a big fan of this band, good for what it is
5/10
Slayer - Reborn
Slayer is good.
9/10
Death - Zombie Ritual
Death got me into metal, hell yes.
10/10
Holy Terror - “Distant Calling”
Fucking sick
10/10
Demigod - Reincarnation
Heavy and groovy as fuck, even for the quality this is golden
9/10
Sacrifice - Re-animation
Decent thrash with some stuff i haven't heard, good in my book
7/10
Tormentor - Damned Grave
This is awesome, black metal thrash flavored. very easy to fucking cut loose with
7/10
Yuri Gagarin - “The New World Order”
Cool sort of atmospheric groovy metal, I'm digging it.
8/10
A.M.S.G. - Reincarnation of the Sun
Its decent. Just not my thing really
5/10
The Chasm - Fiery Rebirth
Seemingly average at times but it kicks you out of nowhere with some of the riffs, great stuff
8/10
Target - Ultimate Unity
This is so fucking cool, really digging that intro, wicked choice to whoever picked this one
10/10
Burzum - “Dunkelheit"
Not the biggest Burzum fan but its good
6/10

Last edited:
Reactions: Phylactery
Candlemass - A Sorcerer's Pledge 10/10
The first Candlemass song I ever heard, it's epic and amazing. I almost wish I could honestly rate this lower so then it has less of a chance of winning, but I'd be lying to myself.

Carnivore - Jesus Hitler 6/10
This isn't really my sort of thing but it wasn't bad. Some of the riffs were pretty good actually.

Seance - Reincarnage 7.5/10
This isn't as abrasive as Saltrubbed Eyes from what I remember. Seance are one of the old school Swedeath bands I'm least familiar with. There were some killer riffs in here but I'd need to listen to it more.

Cirith Ungol - King of the Dead 9/10
This is fucking awesome. Cover art is amazing.

Slayer - Reborn 9/10
Finally some killer fucking thrash. I don't worship Reign in Blood as much as Hell Awaits or Show No Mercy, but I can't deny this.

Death - Zombie Ritual 8/10
I'm not the biggest Death fan, but I do enjoy their first 2 albums quite a bit. I don't know what it is, they have the dirty sound that I look for but something about the songwriting just doesn't grab as much as my absolute favourite death metal. Having said that, this song is pretty great.

Holy Terror - “Distant Calling” 8/10
I used to visit a site called Metalrules or something around 10 years ago that did reviews. Some guy would derail the comments section in some reviews by talking about how awesome Holy Terror is, so I've known this band for a long time. This is some really good thrash.

Demigod - Reincarnation (Unholy Domain version) 8.5/10
One of the best guitar tones ever, absolutely filthy and crushing. The songwriting on this demo isn't as good as Slumber of Sullen Eyes but this is still killer.

Sacrifice - Re-animation 7.5/10
Never heard this before. More good thrash. This riffs hard.

Tormentor - Damned Grave 9/10
Anno Domini fucking rips. Atilla sounds savage here, rather than his more unique approach on DMDS.

Yuri Gagarin - “The New World Order” 7.5/10
One of the biggest surprises here for me. I enjoyed this a lot. I do think it could have either developed more (before the outro) or been a bit shorter. Cool atmosphere.

A.M.S.G. - Reincarnation of the Sun 6/10
I'm not really sure how I feel about this, some parts of it were decent but other times it was really strange. I'd need to listen to it more to give a proper rating but I don't have the time right now.

The Chasm - Fiery Rebirth 9/10
Goddamnit, we finally get a The Chasm song and it's nowhere near one of their best imo. I fucking worship this band (I'm a bit of a fanboy). This sounds better here than it does on the album actually so I'm giving it an extra half-point.

Target - Ultimate Unity 8/10
Jesus Christ, some of these riffs are killer! Biggest surprise for me on this list. I don't think the vocalist is that bad.

Burzum - “Dunkelheit" 10/10

One of the absolute best black metal songs ever. I've never heard a production job quite like the one on Filosofem and I'm convinced it's part of what makes it so great. Varg's best songs have very subtle changes that have a huge impact on my emotions and this is one of them.

Thrash and death metal were both represented well here, and none of the songs were a complete abomination! Pretty great playlist.

Last edited:
Candlemass - A Sorcerer's Pledge – 10/10

lol

Carnivore - Jesus Hitler – 6/10

That first riff sounds kinda like Iron Man played backwards or something. Not sure if this is even supposed to be a political commentary or just a silly story, but it’s kind of funny. The more crossover parts aren’t so interesting. This riff halfway through is clearly a Sabbath copy too. Decent for them I guess. The vocal delivery, particularly those rolled R’s in R-R-REICH AND ROLL, is clearly the highlight.

Seance – Reincarnage – 5/10

Not grabbing me, although there does seem to be quite a bit going on.

Cirith Ungol - King of the Dead – 8/10

Classic song, for some reason I had overlooked the entire category of zombie/skeleton-related resurrection which seems really obvious and will probably dominate this playlist actually.

Slayer – Reborn – 7/10

Not one of the best songs on the album, but still one of the most intense/extreme.

Death - Zombie Ritual – 7/10

Sounds a little weaker in context of some of the songs posted so far, but still praised for obvious reasons.

Holy Terror - “Distant Calling” – 10/10

I love Holy Terror for a lot of reasons and this song really puts it all together. Anti-religious/Christian themes are pretty common in their lyrics, but they’ve always been cleverer than their contemporaries. Promise of salvation being passed through generations, strict devotion only to be abruptly erased upon death and an eternal cycle of reincarnation. I guess I’ve always had a preference for the theme of what is to be lost rather than gained via a new life. Musically, some of the most beautiful USPM in existence. That main harmony is just so fucking good, maybe Thin Lizzy at their best could compete with it but Iron Maiden sure as hell can’t. It’s galloping and up-tempo but it’s also a really sad song and Keith Deen puts on certainly what is an all-time favorite performance. His ability to go from so smooth to raving mad in a single line (“A waaatcher of the wooorld until YOU DIE!!!!”) is incredible. I get chills every time I hear this song and it’s definitely an all-time favorite.

Demigod - Reincarnation (Unholy Domain version) – 6/10

What other versions are there of this? I’m definitely loving the sound here, much nastier than Slumber. The music itself seems a little average, but I like the lyrics a lot. If they didn’t just repeat the first two verses again at the end and kept the story going I’d bump it to a 7.

Sacrifice - Re-animation – 5/10

One of the weaker songs on the album, too much dun da dundundundun. The lyrics are almost topical.

Tormentor - Damned Grave – 6/10

Good song, but paying attention to it I like it a little less. Those early Destruction-style trills aren’t so natural and aside from the last verse the music isn’t conveying the lyrics at all to me. Still, solid stuff.

Yuri Gagarin - “The New World Order” – 5/10

This was kind of cool, though not metal, and I’m not getting the reincarnation thing here.

A.M.S.G. - Reincarnation of the Sun – 7/10

Black metal the way I like it, I’ll definitely be checking these guys out. Lots of riffs and changes in pacing, weird atmosphere, cool stuff. I felt like it was getting a little long around 3-4 minutes and without lyrics the chanting part seemed random, but when things came back and there was actually a god damn guitar solo it got even better, so overall promising.

The Chasm - Fiery Rebirth – 5/10

Disjointed with more parts I disliked than enjoyed. Annoying sense of melody and the hanging dissonant parts felt like they were there for the sake of it, disrupting any kind of decent rhythm. In a way this is reminding me of early Obliveon, only trying too hard and with willfully dense production to obscure that their riffs aren’t good. The part at 4:30 was really strong though so I dunno, they aren’t a lost cause, but I don’t see myself getting into this album. Bonus points for a creative theme though.

Target - Ultimate Unity – 8/10

I know who submitted this one, wouldn’t have thought of them for this theme but it definitely works, one of the early forgotten metal concept albums. This is about average for me on the album; the intro is tech-thrash greatness as are those post-NM156 robo-leads, and I like the spy movie vibe I always got from that chorus. At the same time, the verse riffs are just good and a little too catchy or something; I prefer a few other songs that are way out there the entire duration. Still love this album and song though.

Burzum - “Dunkelheit" - 6/10

It's not my thing but I'll acknowledge that it's got a very unique atmosphere and still sounds pretty damn cool, even if I'm usually not in the mood for more hypnotic metal stuff.

Overall, I think this has been by far the list where the worst entries were still respectable. Enjoyed listening to nearly the whole thing.

The time to submit the songs was so short I didn't even realize we were supposed already send them. It's the first time I sadly don't participate.

The Chasm - Fiery Rebirth – 5/10

Disjointed with more parts I disliked than enjoyed. Annoying sense of melody and the hanging dissonant parts felt like they were there for the sake of it, disrupting any kind of decent rhythm. In a way this is reminding me of early Obliveon, only trying too hard and with willfully dense production to obscure that their riffs aren’t good. The part at 4:30 was really strong though so I dunno, they aren’t a lost cause, but I don’t see myself getting into this album. Bonus points for a creative theme though.

There is no hope.

I've already said this, but that song is nowhere near one of the Chasm's best so it shouldn't dissuade you from listening to more stuff from them if you haven't already.

There is a version of Reincarnation on Demigod's rehearsal demo.

Also you gave the songs that have a chance of beating "A Sorcerer's Pledge" lowish scores while giving that song a 10 and you were bitching that "there's an obvious trad doom bias".

I've listened to other songs from that album, but never managed to sit all the way through it. I've heard other songs too, and I recently listened to one of their albums (Processions iirc) in full just recently. That album was alright, but I've never heard a Chasm song that made me think it was good and engaging from start to finish.

I'm not playing this game competitively/strategically. A Sorcerer's Pledge is a 10/10 song even if it is a gimme. It's an extremely obvious choice and I was right when it was the first one submitted. It's also almost certainly going to win. I'm not going to downvote a favorite song of mine just to spite people. I don't know which ones I gave lowish scores that have a chance of winning (you mean The Chasm and Burzum?), but The Chasm is just as in-crowd as Saint Vitus or anything else. The Chasm song was the only one I found painful at parts and if anything I was being very generous and non-confrontational with my score. I'm surprised tbh that you guys remembered that Pagan Altar song, but no one brought up the absence of Zombie Hunger.

I've listened to other songs from that album, but never managed to sit all the way through it. I've heard other songs too, and I recently listened to one of their albums (Processions iirc) in full just recently. That album was alright, but I've never heard a Chasm song that made me think it was good and engaging from start to finish.

I'm not playing this game competitively/strategically. A Sorcerer's Pledge is a 10/10 song even if it is a gimme. It's an extremely obvious choice and I was right when it was the first one submitted. It's also almost certainly going to win. I'm not going to downvote a favorite song of mine just to spite people. I don't know which ones I gave lowish scores that have a chance of winning (you mean The Chasm and Burzum?), but The Chasm is just as in-crowd as Saint Vitus or anything else. The Chasm song was the only one I found painful at parts and if anything I was being very generous and non-confrontational with my score. I'm surprised tbh that you guys remembered that Pagan Altar song, but no one brought up the absence of Zombie Hunger.

I was mainly talking about the Slayer song actually, which has all 9s and 10s apart from your 7. I think it still might win anyway. I never thought Burzum would win because this game has already shown me that some of its participators are not fans of a lot of black metal.

Candlemass - A Sorcerer's Pledge
5/10.
-2 points because the sorcerer failed. -1 point for being the first song on the list, seriously horrific placement. -2 points because I feel as though lyrically they really could have went into depth about the piano as a musical instrument. Otherwise, one of the greatest metal songs of all time.

Carnivore - Jesus Hitler
7/10.
Enjoy me some Carnivore.

Seance - Reincarnage
7.5/10
. Anyone want to sell me this album?

Cirith Ungol - King of the Dead
10/10.
Heavy metal magic strikes.

Slayer - Reborn
10/10
. Lightning strikes twice in a row.

Death - Zombie Ritual
10/10.
Lightning striking three times in a row is getting silly.

Holy Terror - Distant Calling
8/10
. Fukkin Holy Terror.

Demigod - Reincarnation (Unholy Domain version)
6/10
. Wasnt in the mood for a demo. eh.

Sacrifice - Re-animation
7/10.
Another band I like but dont own any of their releases. A shame, really.

Tormentor - Damned Grave
5/10.
I remember liking Tormentor more than this. Maybe just a poor song choice?

Yuri Gagarin - The New World Order
4/10
. Me no gusta.

A.M.S.G. - Reincarnation of the Sun
3/10
. Standard uninteresting black metal.

The Chasm - Fiery Rebirth
7/10
. Not my favorite song by the band. Sadly enough, when farseeing came out I bought a shirt with a mention of the lyrics on it because I really wanted a shirt from the band.

Target - Ultimate Unity
7/10. Pretty cool. I've seen the album art for this band before but I've never heard the music. Further investigation needed.

Burzum - Dunkelheit
8/10.
Very good. Maybe worthy of a higher rating I'm just not the biggest fan of non aggresive black metal any more...

Candlemass - A Sorcerer's Pledge 9/10
Beautiful track and awesome lyrics. Obviously a classic.

Carnivore - Jesus Hitler 7/10
I enjoyed this. I like Carnivore, actually.

Seanced - Reincarnage 7/10

This is pretty good. They have some pretty good ideas, would be interested in listening to more of them.

Cirth Ungol - King of the Dead 9/10
I love this band. Their sound has always sounded pretty light and "feel good" to me which isnt a bad thing at all. They instantly put me in a good mood and there's few bands like that.

Slayer - Reborn 8/10
Man teenage me is going crazy. I WILL BE REBORN! I use to know all the lyrics to entire album. I still do but I trip up on it. LEAVE YOU RIPPED AND TORN! Yeah. Slaaayyeeerrrrr.

Death - Scream Bloody Gore 8/10
I love a lot of the riffs (especially the main riff) on this track and the overall atmosphere.

Holy Terror - Distant Calling 8/10
Is it weird that bands that begin with "Holy" I immediately associate it with HBB? I think it's because Holy Moses or something. Anyways, that's beside the point. I like this a lot, actually. This is really catchy and the vocals grow on you for sure, as well as the sound. I'll be checking this band out more in the future.

Demigod - Reincarnation 6/10
I enjoy this but I need to hear it a little more clearly. There's a lot of fun riffs I hear here.

Sacrifice - Re-Animation 7/10
This is really fun, that main riff sorta makes you want to shoulder shimmy. I need to check these guys out more.

Tormentor - Damned Grave 9/10
Immediately in LOVE that opening riff. This rules. Another band I need to check out more.

Yuri Gagrin - The New Order 5/10
I liked this. A nice break, but it doesn't really go anywhere. It's background music.

A.M.S.G. - Reincarnation of the Sun - 6/10
This is OK, actually. I think I'd need to hear it out of this playlist though as I might like it more.

The Chasm - Firey Rebirth 7/10
I thought of this song. But this is not the best Chasm song by any means, which was why I didn't choose it. It is not representative of what they are capable of. This is still a good track though.

Target - Ultimate Unity 8/10
This is cool. I don't see reincarnation at first but looked at the lyrics and definitely see it. This is awesome. I'll have to check this band out as well.

Burzum - Burzum 'Dunkelheit' 10/10
I absolutely love this track. I don't think Varg is this musical genius but what he's good at, he is really good at. He's nuts but that's what makes him interesting and it shows in his music. He's clearly inspired by something, even if you don't "get it." Credit is given to where credit is due. Beautiful track, and something you listen to when you're deep in your feelings.

Edit: Missed one, but it's been added now. Overall, I really liked this playlist. Top three for sure.

Last edited: