Themed Mixtape Game

I think that this is the first time that people are obviously lying about ratings to make sure that a song has no chance of winning. That's funny.

Tormentor - Damned Grave
i get what hbb means about the destruction warbles being 'forced' (mainly because it sounds like something i'd say), but i don't think it detracts in this case. tormentor have this kind of jerky thing going on in general, sounding unnatural and alien is part of their M.O.. granted, i'm biased because i fucking love destruction and their influence is sort of inherently a good thing to my ears, but i dig pretty much everything about this song, a rollercoaster through hell that escalates into a fervor only matched by the likes of satan's host. 9/10

I consider Schmier circa 84-90 to be the greatest riffcrafter in all of metal, so the influence definitely isn't a bad thing, it's just that in a game like this where I have to consciously take lyrics into consideration and try to judge things on a more holistic sense, it doesn't come together quite as well as the song would just wanting some crazy thrashy black metal to boogie to.

What else does your dad like? I've seen you mention BAN and Burzum.

My dad has some vinyls from back in the day from Sabbath, Queen, Zepplin, Uriah Heep, Hawkwind, etc. These days he listens to fucking Adele.

Last edited:
What else does your dad like? I've seen you mention BAN and Burzum.

My dad has some vinyls from back in the day from Sabbath, Queen, Zepplin, Uriah Heap, Hawkwind, etc. These days he listens to fucking Adele.

my dad grew up loving sabbath, priest, rainbow, AC/DC etc; he saw sabbath on that tour when van halen were notoriously blowing them off the stage. he then got out of metal for the most part, when i was a kid he'd regularly play cream, jean michel jarre, steeleye span, then he went through a huge trance/techno phase (which is pretty consistent with his penchant for repetitive, hypnotic mood-piece type stuff), and then kinda came full circle back to metal with some nudges from me. BM is his favourite metal sub-genre, he really likes BAN (circa TWWTG) and drudkh but plenty of the old classics too. he loves lustmord and autechre, some other shit i'm not so fond of like katatonia and a perfect circle. he tends to hate stuff with more complicated rhythms, even metallica is too stuttery for him. these days he's settled down with a girlfriend and doesn't really hear anything aside from pop, some of which he likes (i.e. lana del rey). i think she's turning him more populist :( then again my girlfriend is a huge k-pop nut so that's probably what my future holds.

sorry for shit reviews, tired as fuck from working overnights

Candlemass - A Sorcerer's Pledge
10/10
best song on one of the best doom albums ever

Carnivore - Jesus Hitler
7/10
peter steele idk its pretty cool

Seance - Reincarnage
8/10

crushing DM that just works

Cirith Ungol - King of the Dead
9/10

hey...thats pretty good

Slayer - Reborn
8/10

good stuff, but as said before less impressive out of context of the album

Death - Zombie Ritual
8/10

not a death fan at all, but never minded this song

Holy Terror - “Distant Calling”

9/10
fucking love holy terror, not as all out as mind wars gets but still amazing

Demigod - Reincarnation (Unholy Domain version)
9/10

i love everything about this, the filthy guitar tone that is making their amps cry out in pain, the heavy as fuck riffs, the vocals being a bit more sinister than the album, etc. great song.

Sacrifice - Re-animation

6/10 solid, but didn't keep my attention that well

Tormentor - Damned Grave
9/10

love everything about this

Yuri Gagarin - “The New World Order”

6/10

not bad, but started dragging after a while

A.M.S.G. - Reincarnation of the Sun

6/10

some cool stuff going on, but super disjointed

The Chasm - Fiery Rebirth
8/10

weakest track on the album, but still its the chasm

Target - Ultimate Unity

7/10

pretty good stuff gonna look more into this

Burzum - “Dunkelheit"

9/10

while not as flawless as the song 'Det som en gang var' (one of the best BM songs ever basically) it still is a shining example of great black metal - miss Varg's intense agonizing sounding vocals but wouldn't fit anyways

I think yours and Mort's scores have pushed Candlemass into the winning position ahead of Slayer now. Slayer were winning before.

Also, I've always considered "Criminally Insane" to be the weakest spot on RiB.

Reactions: Omni
I don't think the gap between song popularity was as large as HBB initially predicted.

I think yours and Mort's scores have pushed Candlemass into the winning position ahead of Slayer now. Slayer were winning before.

Also, I've always considered "Criminally Insane" to be the weakest spot on RiB.

yeah me too actually, but i have a feeling it's built to survive the perilous journey into the GMD mixtape game better than 'reborn' is.

stop spoiling the final results! it's super autistic to be tracking what's winning before it's revealed, and if there's one thing this board simply will not tolerate it's autism.

Sorry! I wouldn't have said anything, but I think we're only waiting for one more set of ratings anyway. I haven't done the maths but I can see from looking through there are quite a few songs with an average of 8-9 here. It was a pretty great playlist.

Some of the past regulars like @EternalMetal have been missing in this game recently.

Ill try and have my ratings up tonight, but the list has only been up for 3 days for fucks sake. I volunteer as an EMT during some nights of the week (most recently last night), so I wasnt available to rate the playlist. Im actually surprised how punctual everyone else is able to be tbh.

Reactions: Omni