Themed Mixtape Game

I like Reverend Bizarre, but picking extremely long songs when there are so many other choices is kind of annoying. I also think the two that were in the game could be a bit shorter.

Personally I find nothing wrong with people taking up to the end of the week to finish their voting. It seems to be on schedule for accepting submissions on the weekends and waiting until the end of the week for all of the votes. Im also a procrastinator, lets fight about it.

Yeah I don't think this needs to end in the next day or so, I'm just wanting to see more reviews coming in soon.

Saint Vitus - The Lost Feeling
8/10

Great song - perfect representation of depression.

Black Sabbath – Megalomania
8/10

Man, when this song kicks in it really fucking just rips. What a riff.

Pestilence - Mind Reflections

2/10

Everything this band did after Consuming Impulse is worthless garbage.

Sepultura - Septic Schizo

8/10

Shame that the band died in a tragic plane crash sometime around 1989, they were going places.

Morbid Angel - Maze of Torment

9/10

Classic track. Flurry of riffs

Forgotten Tomb – Todestrieb

6/10

Solid, but inferior to everything on Springtime Depression. One of the few tolerable 'depressive' black metal bands.

Vio-lence – Phobophobia
9/10

Great riffs, but Sean Killian sells this track better than anyone other than maybe Keith Deen could have.

Orodruin - Melancholia
7/10

Pretty good.

Destruction - Confused Mind

9/10

I never listen to Destruction for some reason, but god when I do it is always incredibly rewarding. Amazing riff work and some of the best vocals in all of thrash.

Carnivore - Manic Depression

6/10

Not bad.

Judas Priest - Beyond the Realms of Death

9/10

Dead Congregation - Morbid Paroxysm

8/10

Intense as hell.
Sigh - In a Drowse

4/10

It is a shame what happened to Sigh. Used to be great, but god this is so bad.

Beyond - Schizopsychotic Eruption

6/10

Decent death metal, but not as well crafted as Dead Congregation.

Orchid - Mouth of Madness
6/10

Not as good as anything on Capricorn

Reverend Bizarre – Demons Annoying Me

8/10

Little overlong, but Rev Biz delivers a great doom track.

Here goes. Going to do this one and the non metal since I'm familiar with a bunch here. I'm also fairly drunk. Fuck off.

4/10.
Oops, someone accidentally didnt pick The Psychopath.

Black Sabbath – Megalomania
3.5/10.
Oh hey I'll pick a Black Sabbath song, that'll give me a good chance to win. For the life of me I cannot see why anyone likes this Sabbath album. This song is so goddamn boring. Would have probably given Paranoid an 8+.

6/10.
Not bad. Music video was so ridiculous I had to click away and let it play in the background.

8/10.
Had I submitted a song, this was in my list of choices.

8.5/10.
Classic.

Forgotten Tomb – Todestrieb
2/10.
Turn your tv to a static channel and do your best black metal karaoke.

Vio-lence – Phobophobia
8/10.
Fucking strong thrash is doing its best to take over these lists.

Orodruin - Melancholia
7.5/10
Absolutely dismal. Just listened to this in my car today actually.

6.5/10.
Pretty sure these guys have the confused minds nowadays. Decent enough but I'll always prefer Kreator and Sodom.

4/10.
This cover doesnt work for me. Awkward.

10/10.
Nothing on this list really compares to this.

7.5/10
Cant rate these guys higher than classic MA

Sigh - In a Drowse
4/10.
Eh.

5/10.
I've passed on buying this album quite a few times. Bland.

Orchid - Mouth of Madness
7/10.
Much better than most of you make this out to be. The low ratings feel like you can just smell theyre a newer band on a big label and you guys dont like it. This rocks.

Reverend Bizarre – Demons Annoying Me
4/10.
This song annoying me.

I liked everything in this playlist to some extent.

Third Wino-Vitus song in a row? Not that this is a bad song or anything, but you picked this over The Psychopath when we still haven't had a single Reagers song in this game, wtf. Bonus points for being a melancholic song that actually strongly relates to depression.
7/10

Black Sabbath - Megalomania
7/10

Not sure if this even relates to mental illness, but I can't make any sense of these introspective word salad lyrics so I can't rule out a connection either.
5/10

Good stuff. I need to listen to more early Sepultura.
7/10

I don't care if I'm the only one doing it, I'm going to keep downrating extremely canonized shit that everyone's heard dozens of times already. Great as this is, for a mixtape game it's an inherently less interesting submission than even something like that boring Pestilence song above. And I'm not convinced it's even a good fit for the theme.
5/10

Forgotten Tomb - Todestrieb
6/10

Vio-lence - Phobophobia
Great pick. Nice to have some female vox in this playlist.
9/10

Orodruin - Melancholia
I don't think it fits the theme all that well, but it is a good song by a band I haven't heard before so I can't be too harsh.
6/10

pseudo macgyvers
8/10

Not as good as the last Carnivore song we had. Still pretty good. This cover is a good fit for Carnivore, based on the two Carnivore songs I've heard, one of which is this one.
7/10

See my MA comment.
6/10

6/10

Sigh - In a Drowse
You guys suck.
10/10

This is way better than you guys made it out to be. Most unhinged-sounding DM in this playlist.
8/10

Orchid - The Mouths of Madness
6/10

Reverend Bizarre
If you're gonna pick a 15+ minute song, it better be fucking amazing, like Caesar Forever or that Ancestors song a while back. This is not.
4/10

Last edited:
So Morbid Angel and Judas Priest are extremely cannonized stuff that everyone has heard, but Black Sabbath, Destruction and Sepultura aren't? I'm not saying Destruction and Sepultura are quite as popular but they're still extremely well known. Maybe my path through metal was different, but those 2 bands + Vio-lence were certainly within the first 15 thrash bands I ever heard.

I gave Sabbath a pass because that song is not from one of their most canonized albums. I've never heard anyone rave about Sabotage the way people do about Stained Class and "Beyond the Realms..." specifically.

With regards to what is and isn't 'extremely canonized', I'm sure most everyone would draw that line in a different place. And I know there are canonized songs of great personal significance to me that I would hypocritically 10/10 in a heartbeat (classic Maiden for instance). So it's an incredibly subjective judgement, but so is taste anyway. I just think it would be an uninteresting outcome if someone won by picking an extremely canonized and beloved song... so I don't want to contribute to such an outcome.

Maybe my rating and reasoning is completely irrational. Maybe I just have an innate aversion to giving "Beyond the Realms..." the 10/10 it deserves. Maybe I just have a confused mind. I am feeling a bit in a drowse. I hope I don't have a morbid paroxysm.

I try to rate songs based on how I like them and if I think that they go with the theme. I do sometimes think that people pick mediocre songs that are well-known but I don't think that there were any in this particular mixtape.

That said, "The Psychopath" would have been the better Saint Vitus pick.

I'm pretty well going to rate songs on how they fit and how often their type show up in the game. If you don't do this, the first person to pick a Sabbath or Vitus song are going to win every round. I've finished in the top 5 twice... But I also think some people that faithfully play aren't anywhere close to that and they can literally never win unless they pick what the crowd wants to hear and it's basically going to discourage them and kill the game.