Thoughts on A sense of purpose

Eraser should have been on ASOP without a doubt. Abnegation deserved a place over a number of songs that made the album, too.

I would probably have put them both on the album and stuck TCP on the EP. I know there are a few people who like TCP but as an experimental track that doesn't really fit in with the album at all and grinds it to a halt I think it would have been better off placed on the EP, with Eraser and Abnegation taking its place (I think combined they'd be roughly the same length as TCP).
That'd be an idea yeah. But it is what is it, and it doesn't really matter what songs you put on which disc, we still get to hear all the music. And speaking of that! I just remembered that we still haven't heard the mysterious 16th ASOP song that was a cover, of an female artist. I hope we get to hear it some day..we most likely will hear it on an disc with ''previously unreleased tracks'' in the future maybe..Unless they've got something planned for a bonus disc on this album.

Yeah sorry, i couldn't find the right word- jaded was all that came to mind. Although you are right ASOP's guitars are alot more melodic- i felt that they were a bit insubstantial, they weren't 'meaty', like the riffs found on most IF albums. They were alot 'lighter', as opposed to the in-your-face shredding of CC and swift, heavy riffs found in STYE. Don't get me wrong i still like alot of guitar parts in ASOP- i just think IF need an injection of aggression in their music, and it pays off when they use a faster pace.

I don't mind TCP- it's one of my favourite, slower, IF songs. Especially the acoustics. I find that they experimented, tried something different, and in the process gave the album more variety. I would think ASOP alot more dull and monotonous without The Chosen Pessimist. Perhaps as a 'grand finale', TCP could have changed the pace without jarring the album and March to the Shore could have been moved from the last track- also getting rid of Sleepless Again and another track in place of Eraser and Abnegation.

The ideal A sense of Purpose tracklisting:

1. Mirror's Truth
2. Disconnected
3. Eraser
4. Alias
5. I'm the Highway (although i'm not a big fan)
6. Move through Me
7. Sober and Irrelevant
8. Abnegation
9. Condemned
10. Drenched in fear
11. March to the Shore
12. The Chosen Pessimist

I think I can say that I have more respect for this album now, being less obsessed with metal and just music overall. Mirror's Truth is probably my favorite song on the album, just has this energy to it.

When i first got my hands on The Mirror's Truth EP (before the album release) i was stoked on all four tracks (Tilt being my least favourite, but still a great song). But now i find that i hardly listen to opening track of A Sense of Purpose. The ones i've found myself coming back to over and over again are The Chosen Pessimist and Sober and Irrelevant, just so happens that they blender into each other perfectly.

On a side note- i read the first post of this thread way back when it was first made, and the guy said that The Mirror's Truth is 'some kind of metal-pop'. To be honest i don't care what genre you put it into or what label you stick on it, a song is a song and should be judged on how good it is.

If Sounds of a Playground Fading had a song on it that had a dance beat to it i'd be open minded and decide whether it fits or not. After all- alot of metal bands have dance beats!

The only song I don't really listen to is Sleepless Again cause I find it slow and boring...Favs (if you the EP as well) is Eraser, The Chosen Pessimist, Sober and Irrelevant. And well, Delight and Angers I don't really listen to that much either...I still find the album really good and the songs hasn't become boring and old yet after 3 years.

I don't listen to ASOP at all anymore... always find myself listening to something between TJR - R2R if I'm listening to In Flames. I don't really listen to anything off Come Clarity anymore either... maybe a couple off STYE if they come on.

Kind of a shame because when ASOP came out I kinda liked it... however it has no replay value for me. The songs aren't 'bad', they're just kind of there. I could listen to them without any issues, but they don't give me chills like Zombie Inc, The Jester Race, Episode 666, ATFRT, Minus and others from their back-catalogue still have the ability to do.

I agree with Krofius that the slower songs like Delight and Angers and Sleepless Again are the worst on ASOP- for me they lack punch, and lyrically they don't appeal to me much (they seem a bit soft). But i don't really see albums as having replay value- i just listen to them when they take my fancy. Songs from ASOP rarely take my fancy these days, as i find myself looking for faster tracks with heavier riffs. If i am going to listen to In Flames i ALWAYS listen to a song (or a few) from Come Clarity.

I won't pretend i'm an old-school In Flames fan, Come Clarity was the album that got me into In Flames (namely the songs: Reflect the Storm and Crawl Through Knives) and still remains my favourite album (i'm a fan of american metal and i feel it blends In Flames' European melodicness and feel with american heaviness).

DE4life, i agree that there are many In Flames songs that send shivers down your spine (Zombie Inc is certainly in my list of those, most of Colony in fact) and ASOP doesn't have many of them in my opinion. Although the drawn-out intro of The Chosen Pessimist really gives me chills! Those ambient noises heard in the first Studio Report really create an awesome atmosphere too.

ASOP is a really weird album. Lets put it like this: I know I dislike STYE and RTR, I know I like TJR-Clayman and CC, but I have no clear opinion on ASOP.

In theory, I should like this album. It has harmonies, some acoustics, good songwriting, drums are done well...but there is something lacking. It sounds quite boring and washed out. While in songs like Jester Script Transfigured or The Quiet Place you can hear real emotion and power, whole ASOP sounds just fake.

It's a bunch of good songs done in a wrong way. I mean, every In Flames fan should love I'm the Highway. If the guitar sound, Anders singing and a few riff solutions were a bit different it would sound like something from Colony era. Unfortunately on ASOP, the song is just average, not living up to its potential.

Sleepless Again hate? That's pretty much the only song I go back to if I put on ASOP. Anyway this is what ASOP should have been...

1. Eraser
2. Disconnected
3. Alias
4. Tilt
5. Abnegation
6. Sleepless Again
7. I'm The Highway
8. Drenched In Fear
9. The Chosen Pessimist
10. Delight and Angers

Sleepless Again, Delight and Angers, The Mirror's Truth, Condemned, I'm the Highway, March to the Shore. These are all the song i 'hate on', as you put it :p

But seriously, most of the songs on ASOP i don't find myself hitting the play button on. Now and again i'll play Disconnected (for the crazy drum beat and nice riffage), and The Chosen Pessimist is always on my list of 'must-plays' when i get into the In Flames mood (i think it's a great grand finale of a song, really epic). Sober and Irrelevant is just a great song in my eyes: machine-gun riffs blaring, Anders going ape-shit on vocals and it thumps along with a nice solo.

I'd much rather listen to stuff from Reroute, Soundtrack and definitely Come Clarity!

ASOP is one of those albums that nobody will remember in 15 years. It has pop like quality. Nice, mainstream songs, but no real substance and replay value.

It's like 15 songs on album (+TMT EP) and out of that 12 are 3 minute and something long (or better to say short). Take out catchy choruses, and there is almost nothing left.

Excellent Album in my opinion. My favorite heavy song on the album is The Mirror's Truth, my favorite song over all from the album though is The Chosen Pessimest

Yeah I thought it was a damn good album as well, definately more of a return than Come Clarity. All the songs I can listen too and enjoy, alot of them are powerful, "Sober And Irrelevant", "Condemned"... Also I loved how the last few songs sounded more like old In Flames especially "Condemned". I don't see the hate with this album, I couldn't stop listening when it first came out.

Fuck, did this thread really need to be bumped? :D

ASOP 0/10, I'm not even going to thank you for trying N'Flamez cos I don't think you really did :D

Whatever I said years ago on this thread is invalid :D

Whatever I said years ago on this thread is invalid :D

:D

Fuck, that album is so bland, I can't make myself to listen it again. Same with STYE (but for different reasons).

It was mildly interesting for about 3 weeks, but that's it.

While CC is not a masterpiece that will last through ages...it is still few streets ahead ASOP. What were they doing with that album is beyond me.