Top 5 Drummers of all time

Satyros said:
Chris Adler isnt that good...
he didnt learn to play and u can see that...
without trigger he cant do the things he doing in l.o.g

whatever. adlers an amazing drummer.

Satyros said:
Chris Adler isnt that good...
he didnt learn to play and u can see that...
without trigger he cant do the things he doing in l.o.g

I was lucky enough to see Chris during a sound check and he is superhuman. His brain works as a technician instead of a random sound generator as flo mounier, but they are equally as awesome at what they do.

And for that Modern Drummer review... is was a readers poll, and that is simply a popularity contest.

bloodlust rampant said:
so tony royster isn't good?

Tony Royster is great. But he's been playing since he was able to walk and was taught by Dennis Chambers. If I was playing that long and taught by someone as good as Dennis Chambers I'd be just as awesome.

He's like a genetic mutation of Chambers....they play very similar styles.

I just don't like when people confuse age with skill. If there was a 50 year old guy playing just as long as a 15 year old guy everyone would think the 15 year old guy is alot better becuase he's younger.

Longinus said:
Everyone thinks that most jazz musicians are super virtuosos at their instruments and are unbeatable and metal musicians are inferior. That's really lack of knowledge.

The most virtuos musicians that I've heard are either in Dream Theater, Pain of Salvation or Opeth. I've never heard a jazz musician do what the others can't.

Not to mention the lack of great jazz vocalists, we have Buckley, Gildenlöw or even (or especially?) Mariah Carey for that.

Jazz characteristics are improvisation, which requires having had a lot of musical theory and polyrhythmics.

Portnoy for example, has no idea what music needs, thus he is inferior to most jazz musicians. But take a look at Mournier or Lopez, they are frickin geniuses, able to play highly complex polyrhythms, they fuse several genres (especially Lopez) perfectly, they do know, what a song needs etc.

By the way: Johan Langell merely plays what D. Gildenlöw tells him to play. I'd say Gildenlöw is the better drummer.

My list:

1.Lopez
2.D. Gildenlöw
3.Mournier
4.Danny Carey
5.PTree dude (So called friend is ingenius)

Sorry man, but absolutely everything you said in that post is complete bullshit.

MegaMoose said:
Sorry man, but absolutely everything you said in that post is complete bullshit.

moose, save your breathe....longinus is the village pain of salvation fanboy, he will never come off center from worshipping the semen that fruitcake would just as soon wipe on longinus' sleeve.

NineFeetUnderground said:
moose, save your breathe....longinus is the village pain of salvation fanboy, he will never come off center from worshipping the semen that fruitcake would just as soon wipe on longinus' sleeve.

Truer words have seldom been spoken.

bondcfh007 said:
i can't believe any of you stupid bastards hasn't mention Richard Christy yet.

amen to that

christy > hoglan and flo mournier

top 5

christy (of course, listen to death live in la, the last 3 tracks of horror show. even when playing the most amazingly technical stuff he manages to put his on style on the music softof hard to explain)
lopez (deliverance, live album - the feel he puts in the music is amazing)
portnoy (lte stuff)
gavin harrison (same as lopez, love his work)
hoglan (still amazing)

Ice said:
I disagree I have seen both Tool and Rush live. Neil Peart is clearly a better drummer and performer.

Yes well so have I and I strongly disagree.. Neil is a VERY good rock drummer but he does not seem to have as wide a range of styles as Danny. Also Danny can pull off a lot more interesting and complex fills than what I've seen Neil do. I also think that Danny is just an all round more creative drummer than Neil. E.g its easier to know what Neil is going to do at certain parts of a song where as Danny is more unpredictable...
This of course is just my personal opinion though, Im sure there are alot of diehard Peart fans out there that will swear black & blue I am wrong...

^ i dont have to swear...you just are. but not about danny...just that you highly underestimate peart's talents...based on the fact that peart...much like Rush as a whole, never jeopardize the integrity of the song for technical ability and showmanship. thats something danny has yet to understand or appreciate. however if peart and danny were to go head to head for that specific purpose...i imagine youd be blown the fuck away by peart's capabilities.