Top 5 Drummers of all time

Tubbs Mcgee said:
Welcome back! :) BTW, your post was great because it had many reasons to back up your choices, unlike my crappy ass post. ;)

Lol, I felt like I better back up my arguments, because I know EXACTLY how much I stood to get flamed here by listing some of those people if I didn't have decent reasons :D
Thanks for the welcome back, btw, it feels good. I don't actually know why I haven't been here, exams aside (and exams = :erk: ). I also feel like I ought to mention that I'm largely on your side as far as Dream Theater is concerned these days Tubbs. Obviously not quite to the same extent, but then who is? :lol:

Btw, I don't know how I forgot, but I'd also like to mention that, in my opinion, John Bonham (totally 100% fluid rhythm) and Steve Gadd (what can I say, he was the backbone of SO much important music, as well as being a totl rhythmic innovater) also pwn :)

Liquid Diamonds said:
Gene Hoglan - Speed, man. SPEED! I think Gene is a VERY limited drummer. I think that speed drumming is what he's built for, and unlike a drummer like Lopez, he isn't really a whole lotta use when you wanna take the tempo down. His cymbal work isn't as creative as some others, and his patterns aren't that inventive, BUT the man has speed DOWN! Some of the work on 'Alien' is totally awe-inspiring. His weight alone should render that kind of thing impossible. I just marvel at the guy, his speed astounds me.

I think your totally wrong about Hoglan. Everything i've heard from musicians who have worked with him always go on about how much of an exellent drummer he is. Alot of people in the music buisiness have a shit load of respect for him, and that doesnt happen by just being good at speed...

Take another listen dude.

And about Nick Barker and Mike Portnoy >>>> :erk: :erk:

1. drummer from my fav metal band
2. drummer from my 2nd fav metal band
3. drummer from my 3rd fav metal band
4. someone I've never heard of before this thread but I want to look cool
5. danny carey because he's so porgresive !! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Keith! said:
I think your totally wrong about Hoglan. Everything i've heard from musicians who have worked with him always go on about how much of an exellent drummer he is. Alot of people in the music buisiness have a shit load of respect for him, and that doesnt happen by just being good at speed...

errr whats wrong with Nick Barker?
And what have you even heard by him?:p

Keith! said:

Well, fair enough if you think I'm wrong, but just because somebody has a shitload of respect doesn't necessarily make them the best. There are lots of factors that could put Gene in a position to have that respect. He's played on a lot of classic albums, he's quite obviously a top bloke, he's one of the original set of awesome thrash drummers. He deserves that respect.

BUT

I'm not going to change my opinion that he's a limited drumer when it comes to anything other than speed, unless someone can reccommend to me a record where he disproves that. Go listen to his work with DTB, and then listen to Lopez. You might see what I mean then.

And also, as far as nuances and inventive drum patterns are concerned, how in hell do you figure that Gene must be that much better than Barker and Portnoy?! Why don't you take another listen, dude, because I think you're talking out of your ass because the majority told you that Gene is better. He has his place, and I am fond enough of him to include him in my favourite drummers, but just like any other drummer, there are things he can't do that some of the others I listed can.

Just ask Gene, ad he'll tell you that he's a limited drummer. Have you ever read SYL's tour diary? Talk about self-deprecation! ('I am the worst drummer on this tour, all the other drummers here pwn me')

I'm not a drummer, so I'm not liable to rate my list. However, these are my favourite players(alphabetic order, in case you decide to cunt me :Smug:)
Daniel Erlandson - Arch Enemy
Danny Carey - Tool
Jörg Michael - Stratovarius
Joey Jordison - Slipknot(regardless how shitty slipknot is, I still think he's a very talented drummer)
Martin Lopez - Opeth

^Lmao! :lol:

This test I can't resist!
Kept back by the enigma!
Rotating cocks demanded here!
Deadly badgers make my beat!

Liquid Diamonds said:
Right, tell me why it's funny that I like Mike Portnoy? I don't mind, but 'lmao' is not a reason.
because it's just hilarious... first you're all "yeah man, i'm real serious about the music i listen to mannnnnn" and then the first thing on your list is mike portnoy. but you probably don't get the joke, i guess

Liquid Diamonds said:
Well, fair enough if you think I'm wrong, but just because somebody has a shitload of respect doesn't necessarily make them the best. There are lots of factors that could put Gene in a position to have that respect. He's played on a lot of classic albums, he's quite obviously a top bloke, he's one of the original set of awesome thrash drummers. He deserves that respect.

BUT

I'm not going to change my opinion that he's a limited drumer when it comes to anything other than speed, unless someone can reccommend to me a record where he disproves that. Go listen to his work with DTB, and then listen to Lopez. You might see what I mean then.

And also, as far as nuances and inventive drum patterns are concerned, how in hell do you figure that Gene must be that much better than Barker and Portnoy?! Why don't you take another listen, dude, because I think you're talking out of your ass because the majority told you that Gene is better. He has his place, and I am fond enough of him to include him in my favourite drummers, but just like any other drummer, there are things he can't do that some of the others I listed can.

Just ask Gene, ad he'll tell you that he's a limited drummer. Have you ever read SYL's tour diary? Talk about self-deprecation! ('I am the worst drummer on this tour, all the other drummers here pwn me')

I think I have to agree with you on Gene aye.. I love his drumming, but your right, he is VERY limited at least from what Ive heard from him anyway... I think a drummer who does what he does AND alot more would be Dave Lombardo from Slayer/Fantomas etc. as I've heard him do crazy Jazz and shit like that as well as extremely fast metal drumming. Not mention he played this fast before anyone else was doing it in the thrash metal scene.

Barker is an awesome drummer, I especially love his work on In defiance of existence...

One I do NOT agree with on though is Mike Portney.. His is one of the most boring, uninventive, over-rated drummers ever. He is basically the Lars Ulrich of progresive rock/metal!!!