Traditional Doom Metal

If you don't listen to the new album from The Wounded Kings you're missing the fuck out. This is honestly some of the best doom I've heard in ages!

Last edited by a moderator:
For those of you who dont have it yet (myself included) SKR is going to be reissuing Black Hole - Journey Into Mystery in the near future.

If for some reason you didnt already know, it's worth your monies. :)

As I sit here looking through SKRs catalog, I came across this weirdness and just had to share it with someone:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylix1Ej81BQ&feature=related[/ame]

Fairly traditional metal, leaning towards doom here and there... the vocalist though... rules :lol:

Taken from Chad Davis's facebook page:

And so this season lends its majesty...

Official Hour Of 13 press release 11-8-11:

After lengthy discussion over the past few months it has been decided that Phil Swanson will take part on the new Hour of 13 record as well as a revisit to the Emerald Isle to once again see our friends there who have been so supportive and dedicated over the years.
Phil Swanson: "I hope that people will respect and appreciate Chads decision to invite me back as well as my willingness to return in order to keep the integrity of our past efforts. Right now we are only looking as far ahead as completion of the new record and the Ireland dates that follow.

I have already received the completed music for the new album and begun working melodies and lyrical concepts around it and can say from where Im sitting this record will be a step forward from the last especially from a vocal stand point as I am taking a much more serious and respectful approach to my part now seeing how much this band actually means to its listeners.

I know many of you will be critical of my return again and my indecisiveness or loyalty to Hour of 13, but music is to be heard and the politics behind it ignored in my honest opinion, there are so many factors involved and so many sacrifices made to be a part of it. Its very unforgiving and rarely rewarding. Its often hard to commit to something that doesn’t commit to you especially when other responsibilities are the priority.

I hope everyone looks forward to hearing the new record as much as we looking forward to having it heard."

Isn't Candlemass epic doom?

Anyways, my favorite album from them is certainly Epicus Doomicus Metallicus. It has a very different sound from the rest.

And of course Solitude Aeturnus- Into the Depths of Sorrow is amazing as well.

Trouble Psalm 9 is amazing, and The Gates Of Slumber- The Wretch.

I also recommend Solstice, on the topic of doom metal.

I wouldnt get too carried away, as I see 3 for sale on discogs right now, each around the $20 range.

On an unrelated note, I find it's hard to sell rare cds, unless you have something that you know someone particularly wants, sometimes stuff will go for next to nothing on ebay, regardless of how rare it is.

I need to make a list of about 5 doom albums to buy, so far I've decided I will be getting:

The Wounded Kings - In the Chapel of the Black Hand
Cardinals Folly - Such Power Is Dangerous!
Black Oath - The Third Aeon

Any ideas for the other two? Obviously going for more recent stuff.

I need to make a list of about 5 doom albums to buy, so far I've decided I will be getting:

The Wounded Kings - In the Chapel of the Black Hand
Cardinals Folly - Such Power Is Dangerous!
Black Oath - The Third Aeon

Any ideas for the other two? Obviously going for more recent stuff.

No clue if you like them but the new Mournful Congregation & the new Esoteric are both excellent IMO.

Suprised to see no mention of the new Lord Vicar yet. Ashamedly I don't own a physical copy of it yet but I hope to rectify that shortly as I can't stop listening this. Better than Fear No Pain on every level basically, and then some. I've been enjoying a lot of doom this year but if I had to pick it I think this takes the lead.

Suprised to see no mention of the new Lord Vicar yet. Ashamedly I don't own a physical copy of it yet but I hope to rectify that shortly as I can't stop listening this. Better than Fear No Pain on every level basically, and then some. I've been enjoying a lot of doom this year but if I had to pick it I think this takes the lead.

I totally fucking forgot about that.

Oh, and shame on us for not including the best doom album of the year, the new fucking Argus album.

I've been praising the ever living fuck out of that album since I first heard it. Mandatory album.

and oh man is there really a new Gods Tower album?! Fuck yes.