U.S. tour impressions/photos/reviews go here

Great fucking show. Was it just my ears, or did they lower the volume for DT? It seemed like Hypo and Soilwork were way louder. DT was really awesome anyway.

It's really awesome how the DT dudes hung out in the crowd before and after they played. I saw Mikael trip and fall while Soilwork was on stage. Hope he's ok.

Thank you Dark Tranquillity. Come back soon!

I think the setlist was (might be slightly out of order):

Treason Wall
Lost to Apathy
The New Build
Wonders at Your Feet
Punish My Heaven
Monochromatic Stains
My Negation
Final Resistance

"Morning-after" review.

Got there around 7:45 (doors opened at 7) and managed to get me a hoodie (glee). Got downstairs just as Mnemic was starting (I think). They were alright - a little too Americanized for my tastes, but not awful.

My friend and I moved forward for Hypocrisy. I don't know too much of their stuff, but their set was pretty damn good, in my opinion. He's a big fan, so he told me what the songs were and such - I recognized a few on my own. At this point, I'm standing in the lower section, left of center, about halfway deep. There's two guys next to me with about a 20' diameter circle of empty around me because they're being asses and punching anyone that gets close.

So Hypocrisy finishes, and as I expect, a few people start coming out of the crowd. I figure "Hey, I'll be able to move right up front". Uh-huh. I had no idea DT had gotten so popular in NYC - I wound up 5 people deep a little right of center in a huge mash of bodies that was more tighly packed than a rush-hour subway before the sound check even occurred. By the time they did come out, it became a massive, roiling sea of bodies in which I was actually suspended above the floor once or twice by the shear pressure of so many people pressing against me - I'm not that light anymore, either.

A few notes about the set: Best I've ever seen. Dude next to me who kept putting his arm around my neck because I knew all the words, you were pretty cool. You kept pushing me into your really big, scary friend who kept threatening to "beat my ass" because he thought I was trying to push ahead of him. Stanne, again, is the coolest/best/outright funniest frontman out there. I really wanna know what that little dance he did between songs was. And his facial expressions were hysterical as well :p He came up to my section and actually held the mic pretty close for a few seconds, and wasn't afraid to get right up close with the fans (About halfway through the set, I wound up about 3 people from the front due to osmosis, and the fact that human sweat seems to lubricate one's movement through a crowd. Yeah, ew.). One thing I have to ask - Did we beat out Chicago as best show? :)

I extracted myself afterwards, somehow, and stood by the bar in the middle for all of Soilwork. They were pretty good, although the smoke machine was a little... over the top. That and the rave lights - didn't really need those. Overall, definitely the best show I've seen :).

I saw the band walk back and forth a few times, but didn't get a chance to talk. I did hang around afterwards and almost talked to Nik, but someone else got there first. I laughed when said person was asking if they'd headline when they came back in the fall, but then left, because I realized that I wasn't on the line to talk - like 30 people were lined up for sigs and stuff. I figured I could always say hi here.

Met up with r2 and plintus, both really cool people, even if I did probably scare plintus a bit with my constant staring ('that guy looks so oddly familiar!'-style). Of course, I completely missed John. One would think you could pick out your twin in a crowd.

Anyway, I can't speak, can't hear out of my right ear still, and I'm wearing my hoodie. Ah fun. Except that now I have class. At least my Acoustics teacher will like hearing about the concert.

~kov.

Now that its the morning after I'm a bit more able to give a better review. Got to the venue around 6:30, doors finally opened at 7:15. At about 7:50 Mnemic took the stage and received a pretty good crowd response. I wasn't too into them, every song sounded the same to me, so I wasn't upset when they left the stage.

Next was Hypocrisy who totally kicked ass. Peter has by far one of the greatest screams in metal, and he sure showed it last night. Their setlist was a pretty cool mix of old and new, including my favorite of theirs, Fire in the Sky. The crowd seemed pretty into them, even chanting the chorus to Eraser which they closed their set with.

Next of course was the reason I was there, the almighty Dark Tranquillity. The setlist was posted above so I won't go into that, but I have to say this was one of the most intense performances I have ever seen. Everyone in the band looked excited to be playing, and Mikael was nothing but smiles in between songs. The crowd reaction to them was better than I ever imagined it would be, and goes to show that these guys deserve a shot at a headlining tour in the states because everybody there knew them and was screaming the lyrics. Despite the set's lack of White Noise/Black Silence, it was a stellar performance and I can't wait for the chance to see them again. 40 minutes just is not enough!

Next was Soilwork, who I was not sure I would enjoy since I am not too into their new material. I have to say that even the songs I wasn't fond of on the albums sounded good live, and they had a lot of energy on stage. About halfway through their set I decided to venture to the other side of the venue in hopes of seeing the DT guys and sure enough they were wandering about. I had the pleasure of meeting all but Martin (keys), and all were really cool guys.

The only thing left to say is....come back soon! Please!

Kovenant84 said:
Of course, I completely missed John. One would think you could pick out your twin in a crowd.
Unless your twin wasn't in the crowd..

mikael.jpg

Kovenant84 said:
Met up with r2 and plintus, both really cool people, even if I did probably scare plintus a bit with my constant staring ('that guy looks so oddly familiar!'-style).

Hehe, no problem man, I hardly could mention that, but - that was nice to meet you (and kinda a surprise you recognized me in the darkness in the crowd... well, it could be hard not to mention my t-shirt =) which is sadly gone by now =(

...some episodic memories will be shared later, as well as pictures my friend made, but dodge this: the show was BEYOND AMAZING, and I really think that every night with Dark Tranquillity - before, during and after the show IS the best night ever. And doesn't matter it happens again and again (and again and again and again... and so on) - we will never get tired ;)

THANK YOU GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

Hey dudes, no one has initiated a topic on last night's concert. Damn, it was spectacular. The only friggin' thing I didn't like about it was that I found it too fuckin short. I mean, time just flew. As per the other bands, I think that Hypocrisy totally kicked some serious ass too. I don't want to offend anyone, so I won't say my thinking on the first band and the last (their old stuff was cool though).

So, what do you think about DT's performance last night? :cool:

Kovenant84 said:
I think we're discussing it pretty well in the US Concert thread :p

This'll probably be merged in anyway, so no hard feelings.

~kov.

Duh? Yeah, you're right. I guess I just have to not get over excited.

Cheers!

I thought last nights performance was absolutley amazing. And I was talking to Anders by the bar after they were done and he said that the manager of Soilwork made them cut their set short, I don't know why but he did. I was looking forward to seeing Through Smudged Lenses so bad..Oh well, next time.

My bro made some pictures yesternight at the BBKing's, so - here goes the part II (click on the pic below to get to the gallery). Some pics are not that good - we didn't have a photopass and came to have fun, so some of the shots are out of the focus and it was really hard to catch a good shot because of the crowd (which was crazy as always in New York). But he tried hard =)

Enjoy or smth :headbang:

LATEMREWOP said:
Damn, it was spectacular. The only friggin' thing I didn't like about it was that I found it too fuckin short.
Yeah, it was spectacular. The only friggin' thing I didn't like about it was that it was too far away.

LATEMREWOP said:
Hey dudes, no one has initiated a topic on last night's concert.
excuse me, but i find the idea...funny.
"last night's concert" is a very vague concept. :tickled:

@Kov: you're showing disbelief, young man? :p
I asked him and he said he couldn't make it, he was too tired and busy and even if he were to make it in time for the show, he still didn't have a ticket.

@plintus: Awesome pictures. Great shots. Thanks for sharing 'em. :)

Siren said:
@Kov: you're showing disbelief, young man? :p
I asked him and he said he couldn't make it, he was too tired and busy and even if he were to make it in time for the show, he still didn't have a ticket.

Ooooooh. I was under the impression he already had a ticket. Ok, that makes more sense then. I fit the description of all of the above as well, but I had a ticket :p

~kov.