US 2008 Paradise Lost Tour

As long as you realize that youre being a dick, that's what counts. I'm a musician, I've seen Maiden live before, and I know about 90% of their songs. I'm well caught up on my history, and I'm well aware of the influence they had on metal. I personally think they have some cool songs (4 or 5 in my opinion). You need to read posts carefully before you comment. My comment was not about Maiden as a band, it was bout Dickinson. You can say what you want, but there are several general, different types of voices in rock, and whiny/nasally is certainly one of them. Dickinson belongs in that category, as does James Labrie in many cases, Rob Halford (at times, at times hes awesome), Bon Scott, etc. It doesnt make them bad musicians or bad singers or bad rock stars or any of that crap...I like Priest, I like ACDC, and I like Dream Theater. It's simply a preference...some people prefer the heavy vibrato'd falsetto type stuff, some people prefer the cleaner and more natural sounding singing. One's not better than the other, its simply a matter of preference.

My problem comes with you saying that you dont care "how much I pose or dont pose". Disagreeing with your opinion does not label a person a poser. I eat breath sleep and shit music, and that kind of comment is pretty offensive. You dont know a damn thing about me, and theres a big difference between arguing and calling people names. Grow up. There's no need for a response to this, I won't answer. One of my fave quotes is "Arguing on the internet is like running in the special olympics. Even if you win, you're still retarded".

Well like i said, i like to argue for the sake of arguing sometimes. I don't care what you think about maiden. I know what i think and i know that your description of bruce is dead wrong (you want whiny? Avenged Sevenfold. GNR. Iron Maiden and Halford don't fit in that mold... hell, even Labrie, whom i fucking HATE doesn't fit Whiny most of the time). Falsetto is different than whiny. I'm sure you'd think King Diamond is whiny, but again there's a huuuuuuge difference.

Whatever, i don't care. if you care to take this any further, PM is the way. Otherwise, i just don't care.

On topic, I'm wondering if i'll have the money to make it to symx in seattle :(

Putting the overall Bruce vs Russ debate aside, I think there is no question that when it comes to Flight of the Migrator, which is where the supposed snide remarks originated, Russ's performance flat out owns Bruce's. Russ is top notch on Dawn of a Million Souls and Bruce would not have been able to match his performance caliber on that one. That song has Russ written all over it. Meanwhile, Bruce's performance on his tune (I don't really care for it, don't know the name off the top of my head) is... I guess over-acted is the best word I can think of. Like he just tried to sell the sentiment in a far too obvious and cliche' way and it came out sounding very cabaret and cheesy. Dawn of a Million Souls is one of the few Ayreon songs I actually REALLY like, and its partly due to it just being a kick as song, but largely because Russ slays that song, and MJRs guitar work is utterly fantastic as well. I can think of a lot better situations to be cocky and snide in than regarding Russ on that song - he knocks it outta the park there. Legend or not, Bruce is flat out wrong if he thinks Russ's vocals on that song are anything but stellar.

People are screwed up, talk about a whole shitload of over analizing until one is so baffeled they begin digging so deeply to spit out words that dont need to be said nor stand a chance in hell of making any sense

over acted, too obvious sentiment, cliche', cabaret & cheezy...... good lord man, its singing, its singing on a concept album that focuses on vocals, I mean what are we after here something half way between rap and "over acted". Wheres all this leave the great Opera tenors ?

ya want whiney nasally voices go listen to Neil Young or Bono or the gigantic flood of pop coolness since the late 80's but dont sit and grab at some of metals best foundation vocalists............. and then say "I dont like to argue" thats more than an obvious contradiction. Not to mention that by those standards we could throw Russel into the whiney, nasally, apparently, sub par catagory for his clean Steve Walsh - ish type vocals

does anybody listen to music any more for the enjoyment or is it done just to simply pick it all apart in order to find something to whine about in a nasally tone

turn it..... look for whats good
--------------------------------------------------------

I hope Russ can keep em commin and is not doing something right now at the beginning of this tour that is hurting his voice box, we have seen too many examples of this over the years and I dont like it. Its not like they can simply go out and buy a new set of strings

Just came back from Toronto show. A little sad that Russel didn't do the high pitch voices in Masquerade or Walls of Babylon. Oh well, he claimed he had a cold. Set list was as follows:

Oculus Ex Inferni
Set the World On Fire
Domination
Masquerade
Serpents Kiss
Paradise Lost
Through The Looking Glass <- Shat Bricks (Not sure if right order)
Inferno
Walls of Babylon
Smoke And Mirrors
Revelation/Divine Wings Pt. 7
<Encore>
Eve of Seduction <- Shat bricks again
Sea of Lies

Was anyone able to get to talk with the band after the concert. Me and my friend waited till 12 and nothing.

I was at the Toronto Show last night and they did come out abit after 12:30 the only one that we could not meet was Allen cuz he was sick :puke:and went straight to the bus.... GREAT show by the way...:headbang:

People are screwed up, talk about a whole shitload of over analizing until one is so baffeled they begin digging so deeply to spit out words that dont need to be said nor stand a chance in hell of making any sense

over acted, too obvious sentiment, cliche', cabaret & cheezy...... good lord man, its singing, its singing on a concept album that focuses on vocals, I mean what are we after here something half way between rap and "over acted". Wheres all this leave the great Opera tenors ?

does anybody listen to music any more for the enjoyment or is it done just to simply pick it all apart in order to find something to whine about in a nasally tone

Sorry, I guess I'll just blindly like and hate music based on my first impression instead of actually caring about it enough to wonder what makes it work. I guess I'll just use generic words to describe music - we'll stick with 'rocks' and 'sucks', and just have two categories.

Sorry dude, I prefer to be able to think about music and discuss music beyond just shrugging my shoulders and saying 'whatever, I just like it cause it rocks, or I just hate it cause it sucks, just my opinion'. Prog/power metal is a genre that inherently requires more thought than many other genres to give a damn about. For a proponent of the genre I'm amazed how much your sentiment echos the cry of the pop loving masses: "I just listen to what I like". Without putting in thought no one would care about metal, or care about becoming a virtuoso musician or working on a single piece of music until it's perfect. Being critical makes you appreciate what is good more, because you can judge relative to what is bad (or at least worse). Otherwise everything just winds up in a mush of 'good', and if you listen to music that way, you should listen to top 40 - simply for the convenience of it being on the radio all the time (may as well maximize your exposure).

And where did you get nasal 'tone' out of written posts? No one enacted the 'this in a nasal tone' emoticon.

:lol: that was a funny read. My whole post was not refering to yours. Were'nt refering to pop either.... I'll figure it out one day and by that time maybe the better vocalists will learn to sing a bit dryer so as they wont be obviously sentimental and cliche'. There was also a key word in there "over analize".... key word - over. I'll continue to kick back and enjoy peoples music and recogonize it as a piece of them

:lol: that was a funny read. My whole post was not refering to yours. Were'nt refering to pop either.... I'll figure it out one day and by that time maybe the better vocalists will learn to sing a bit dryer so as they wont be obviously sentimental and cliche'. There was also a key word in there "over analize".... key word - over. I'll continue to kick back and enjoy peoples music and recogonize it as a piece of them

How did you wind up citing 3 fairly obscure words I used in my post in that case? If you came up with cliche', cabaret and cheesy on your own we're on the same page to a ridiculous degree (look at my original post). Otherwise... I'm suing for copyright infringement ;)

Hello, just got back from the cleveland show. Awsome, same setlist as above except we got Eygpt/Death of Balance instead of TTLG. Russ sounded awsome still a little sick. And i must say there sound has improved a lot since last year at same venue(Peabodys). I think smoke and mirrors and Masguerade just smoked tonight. Overall great show. Will see them again and again. Brought two of my friends and now they want to see them again. Could actually hear the guitar this time. The mix was a lot more even and not as loud as last time. What more can I say. Great way to spend 22 dollars.

How did you wind up citing 3 fairly obscure words I used in my post in that case? If you came up with cliche', cabaret and cheesy on your own we're on the same page to a ridiculous degree (look at my original post). Otherwise... I'm suing for copyright infringement ;)

Paging Simon Cowell...Pagin Simon Cowell...man at least he gets upwards of $30 mil a year to do this...

Sorry to ruin the flow of the Bruce vs. Russ discussion but I got a question

Does anyone have Into Eternity's setlist? If so, post it please

Also, I'm saving my lunch money right now until May 1st and if I save a $1 a day I'll have $15 so I can buy a Symphony X shirt

lol :)

For Montreal, the setlist was:

Intro
Severe Emotionnal Distress
Diagnosis Terminal (fuckin great!)
Splintered Visions
Surrounded By Night
Unholy (Fields of the Dead)
Timeless Winter
Outro

Great support act, but with a very short time... I wanted to hear Beginning Of The End or Buried In Oblivion...

SX in MOKENA, 4/13/08 The Pearl Room

The Detective and I got there early and ended up second in line, we hung out with some other fans and had a pretty good time for a wait line. We ended up right against the stage, between Lepond and Russell. Met a fellow forumer named Ben (sorry bro, forgot your handle) and his buddy Aaron, so the front line was held down all night by cool, amicable people. The crowd was MUCH better tonight than the last show at the Pearl Room, definitely a smaller population of dumbass teenagers last night.

Sacred Dawn was fun. They are a cool throwback to 80's thrash with some Dickinson-esque singing and Halford wails. Good players.

Into Eternity...well, the sound guys at The Pearl Room sucked balls last night and thus couldn't figure out how to plug a microphone in and make it work. So, the setup took about 40 minutes, the band's setlist got cut at least a song or two, and the mic they finally gave to the lead singer broke 30 sec. into the first song. He ended up using the backup microphones, forcing him to sing all the parts by himself. Nevertheless, they put on a damn energetic performance, no matter how pissed off they were.

Epica was alright, I'm not really fan. But I wasn't bored, I suppose. The music gets a little redundant, but the keyboard player and drummer were quite good.

Then came the mighty SX...setlist was:

Oculus
Set the Word on Fire
Domination
Serpent's Kiss
Masquerade
Paradise Lost
Through the Looking Glass!!!1one
Inferno
Smoke and Mirrors
Walls of Babylon
Revelation/end of Divine Wings
-----------
Eve of Seduction
Sins and Shadows

TtLG was absolutely mind-blowing live, it made my night. Masquerade was so much cooler live than on the album. Everything from PL sounded ten times better this time around, and Russell definitely sang the highs in Babylon. The band seemed to be having a great time, the comedy bits by Russ were quite hilarious. Plus, I got a drumstick from Rullo. That makes 2 now. :)

We got to snag a couple pics with Lepond, but it was pretty chilly out and I hadn't eaten for about 12 hours, so we skipped over to Denny's. And of course, while we sat and ate with a bunch of friends Rullo came in with his wife to eat, then Russell came in by himself, then all of Epica chowed down.

All and all, an extremely badass night! Can't wait for the next time around.

Yeah. Priest was first, Maiden took it over the top.

Though Maiden pretty much are the pinnacle of amazing live shows

+1!
speaking of priest, when is the new album coming out? i really want anohter tour. the last one ROCKED sooooo hard.

and razor... yes i'm aware maiden were not the first to be great on stage. i was just making a point.

+1!
speaking of priest, when is the new album coming out? i really want anohter tour. the last one ROCKED sooooo hard.

and razor... yes i'm aware maiden were not the first to be great on stage. i was just making a point.
You mean you haven't heard? Holy shit....

The tour is going to happen this year is:
Heaven and Hell
Judas Priest
Motorhead
Testament

and they willl bring the rock.

thats what I was hoping, Im not even sure Elvis or Sanatra were the first.... probably some Opera Tenor we never even heard of.

You mean you haven't heard? Holy shit....

The tour is going to happen this year is:
Heaven and Hell
Judas Priest
Motorhead
Testament

and they willl bring the rock.

i heard ... but it's all just rumors so far... when does it get cofirmed? the rumor has been floatng around for almost 2 weeks now and all 4 bands are tightlipped!

Had a friggin BLAST at the Cleveland & Mokena shows..will post links to my photos once I get all 343 of them sorted out.

Next up, SF and West Hollywood this weekend, w00t!