Utterly Epic Vocal Performances

recognizable doesn't mean good. Varg is a very mediocre vocalist

hell, something like early opeth has million times better black metal shrieks than varg (the night and the silent water especially).

Funeral Mist - Salvation

simply the most evil and original vocal ever.

Varg's voice is recognizable precisely because it is such an outstanding example of its type. His vocals are both vicious and tortured at one and the same time, a perfect combination given Burzum's approach and subject matter. Opeth's vocals sound wimpy in every way, and always have (for obvious reasons, they're performed by essentially whispering into a jacked up vocal mic - boring).

I'll say Below the Lights, but pretty much any Enslaved album has amazing vocals. Grutle Kjellson is one of the best black metal vocalists, easily.

I'll also add Crippled Lucifer album by Burning Witch, the vocals on that album are the most fucked up things in metal. The song Sacred Predictions is monstrously insane.

My original post mentioned emotional performances as well as sometimes something can be incredibly stirring simply because of the amount of emphasis and feeling behind it. Varg certainly has a lot of feeling in his vocals.

If you have not heard of a dutch band called The Wounded and dont mind Prog. Rock they do some of the most emotion filled work I have ever heard, the song Hollow World in particular is a great example, the opening acapella section is touching. www.myspace.com/thewoundednl

Ulver - Bergtatt (the whole album is just awesome, and when you take into consideration that Garm was nineteen when it was released , its even more impressive)

Arcturus - Everything, but especially The Sham Mirrors. Easily one of the best vocal performances in metal.

Emperor - Empty (Incredible sophisticated use of shrieks)

Opeth - Everything. Mikael Åkerfeldt has imo the best growl in metal, combined with an exquisite clean voice as well.

Kalmah - Heroes to Us (A modern metal anthem in my opinion, and the chorus is very impressive, in how Pekka mixes high and low growls.)

Porcupine Tree - Anesthetize (Steven Wilson is a god when it comes to vocal harmonies)

Peste Noire - La Sanie des siècles - Panégyrique de la dégénérescence (just the most evil BM shrieks I've ever heard)

Next to fuckin' anything Mark Shelton has ever sung on :kickass: Dreams of Eschaton is the definition of an epic vocal performance.

Every Primordial song pretty much fits the mold. Agalloch's In The Shadow Of Our Pale Companion also carries an "epic" feel to it.

Plenty of Pain of Salvation songs (well just about every PoS song from The Perfect Element through BE fit the "grandest, most moving" deal.)

Death - Scream Bloody Gore

SCREAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM
BLOOOOOOOOOOODYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!