Vote Best Metal Country

Best CURRENT Metal Country

• Total voters
France has the best BM scene currently.

I pretty much agree with that, but I might like Germany a bit better, in the current black metal scene.

Speaking of French black metal...was anyone else really disappointed with the new Sombre Chemin EP? I know its an EP, but that material on it hardly even compares to their previous album.

what bands?

Plenty of bands...The Ruins of Beverast, Dark Fortress, Secrets of the Moon, Anti, Sterbend and many more. These bands are all pretty interesting, but Sterbend is really just early Burzum clones. I really liked The Ruins of Beverast's most recent album "Rain Upon the Impure" which is quite a unique album, not specifically black metal though.

I agree French black metal is the best and I wasn't meaning to say Germany was better than France, France was my favourite but I've just shifted interest over to Germany in the past year especially...I also enjoy funeral doom band Ahab, and I'm also a fan of Rammstein and similar bands.

If I could chose a region, it would be Eastern Europe (incl. Poland, Ukraine, Hungary, Russia, etc.). This seems to be where the more unique material comes from these days, bands like Thy Catafalque, Drudkh, Во Скорбях, Graveland, Nauthisuruz, Žrec, Крода, and Русич, not to mention peripheral stuff like Kraina Bez Wiatru, Kriegsfall-U., Piorun and Laibach. There is also a good amount of solid traditional groups at work like Slavland, Iuvenes, Union, Perunwit, Slavigrom, Soulrest, Butterfly Temple, Kreigsgott, Ohtar, Turulvér, Опричь and Skyforger.

Australia does well if you count Deströyer 666, even without them you have one of the most original and ambitious acts around in Spear Of Longinus (not to mention their bizarre sense of humour); less interesting but still solid are Psycroptic, Gospel Of The Horns, Portal and of course Stargazer.

Germany offers some of the better vanilla black metal in Lunar Aurora, there are also a few promising newcomers like Helritt.

Come to think of it I should probably have picked UK over Germany for the recent releases from The Meads Of Asphodel and Orange Goblin alone. Oh well.

Plenty of bands...The Ruins of Beverast, Dark Fortress, Secrets of the Moon, Anti, Sterbend and many more. These bands are all pretty interesting, but Sterbend is really just early Burzum clones. I really liked The Ruins of Beverast's most recent album "Rain Upon the Impure" which is quite a unique album, not specifically black metal though.

I agree French black metal is the best and I wasn't meaning to say Germany was better than France, France was my favourite but I've just shifted interest over to Germany in the past year especially...I also enjoy funeral doom band Ahab, and I'm also a fan of Rammstein and similar bands.
I still think that french bm scene is much cooler.

I dunno, I don't find it as compelling as the Norwegian scene in overall band-age.

Well currently France does. I've said before though I have great interest in the German scene as well, especially depressive black metal scene. I like France because it takes from traditional black metal, but still remains unique and interesting. I can't say Norway really does that...Though Norway is still good with bands like Sarkom, Koldbrann being a couple examples of good newer bands, and of course there are still some older bands still going strong.