What band got you into metal?

That's pretty brutal. What did you listen to before then?

Not much of anything really; wasn't into music that much. My friend's parents were in one of those "8 albums for a penny" type music clubs and he would just get tons of tapes of all genres, so that's how he ended up with it (he was never that much of a metal head). But we used to play harmony corruption (and other metal stuff) when we played basement hockey. Later on I got into the obligatory Pantera/Metallica/Megadeth/Slayer, etc. But that album holds sentimental value for me.

Metallica. Started off mostly listening to thrash - Metallica, Megadeth, Pantera, Slayer. In Flames got me into stuff with harsh vocals, which for a while was a barrier for me.

Yeah, at first I wasn't very keen on growling or screaming vocals, Opeth, Death and Cynic helped me get into it.

Bush > Korn > Metallica > Opeth (who pretty much blew the doors off the genres, opening me up to black, death, folk, prog, etc.)

Well my stepdad had an old suitcase full of tapes from bands like Sabbath and Zep, but the first bands I really got into were NIN and Marilyn Manson. Then the late 90s hit and nu-metal took over and that got me appreciating metal more, particularly System of a Down and Slipknot. I used to read Circus Magazine and they kept banging on about how Slipknot had more in common with death metal than nu-metal, so I checked out the bands they recommended (Slayer, Cannibal Corpse, I forget who else), and we were off to the races.

My first proper introduction to metal happened by chance when I was sitting in the car one day with the radio on and Iron Maiden came on. Fear Of The Dark live at Rio. Awesome. Pretty much hooked me on Maiden straight away even though I was only 14 or something (only 4 years ago mind you :p ) Got every Maiden album off someone my dad knew and listened to nothing but them for a year straight. Hated harsh vocals up until I heard Killswitch Engage and Howard Jones' amazing pipes. Killswitch led me to All That Remains and other metalcore bands like that. The more extreme stuff came about my chance, my intro to black metal was a picture of Dimmu Borgir in a magazine and honestly the look made me think "what the fuck?". Went home and looked it up and it was great. Death metal was weird for me, I found slam first and then worked my way back down to the normal stuff. Nowadays I listen to every metal subgenre (pretty much anyways) and love them all. All thanks to some random guy requesting something on a radio station. Cheers random guy.

Metallica.
Sad But True blew my balls off when I heard it as a 14 year-old. The rest of the black album was complete shit, so I got turned off to listening to more Metallica and listened to SOAD instead for many years.
Metallica, Maiden and Priest. Then I heard Deathcrush & DMDS and Onward to Golgotha.

I assume you mean Mayhem's Deathcrush? Oh hell yes, "Chainsaw Gutsfuck" = life.

Linkin Park->SOAD->Rush->Metallica->Megadeth->other thrash->Cannibal Corpse->The Germs->Hardcore punk->Cryptopsy->more death metal->Burzum->Black Metal

There's some shit in between but that's basically how it went.

If I were to trace it all the way back it would probably be stuff I heard on classic rock radio as a kid. Stuff like Sabbath, AC/DC, Deep Purple.

I then got into stuff like Rob Zombie/White Zombie as a pre-teen then Metallica then Iron Maiden and I was off to the races from there on out.

I remember hearing Guns and Roses when I was like 8 and loving it. The Sweet Child O' Mine riff, when I first heard it, injected the soul of the electric guitar into my blood. But the real gateway was through Metallica. A friend played Fade to Black and I was instantly into it.

The progression to extreme metal was natural and was something like this:

Metallica --->Pantera--->Fear Factory---->In Flames------>Death Metal/Black Metal, with loads of bands in between. But those are the 4 main signposts on the way to the extreme.

Metallica for me too, but also some of the more prominent grunge bands like Alice in Chains.

In Flames primarily around late 1999/early 2000, then expanding to Soilwork, Dark Tranquillity, Arch Enemy, Bodom, Skyfire, Carcass...

First metal album I heard was Colony, I think. Still as good today as it was then.

Had this documented on my last.fm :)

Music discoveries:
Up until I turned 10YOA (1990): Bon Jovi, Kizz, Twisted Sister, Michael Jackson, Prince, Magnus Uggla.
~11YOA: Metallica, Megadeth, Iron Maiden.
~12-14YOA: Strebers, Asta Kask, KSMB and Imperiet, Slayer, Pantera, Fear Factory, Sepultura, Entombed, Dismember, In Flames, Paradise Lost, Samael, Death, Amorphis and Anathema.
~16-17YOA: The Prodigy, Antiloop and stuff like that. \,,/
~22-...YOA: Opeth, Swallow The Sun, Saturnus, Novembers Doom etc

I think Metallica and Sepultura was a big part of it.

Lordi was "the main reason" what lead me into metal but also Metallica, Apocalyptica, Soilwork and Sabaton were the ones too

Whatever my parents were listening to (lots of prog rock, metal, ambient, classical... Good music in general) --> around 11 or 12 got really into Napalm Death, Bolt Thrower, Carcass, early In Flames, Converge --> everything else.

Listened almost exclusively to death metal when I was c.12-14 but then got into black metal, credit largely going to Darkthrone (Transylvanian Hunger) and In Flames (as I was mostly interested in the more melodic bands like Sacramentum, Dissection, Dawn, Necrophobic, etc.)

Was only when I got to about 20 that I started to appreciate more doom/heavy metal/thrash. And nu-metal, if Deftones and Spineshank count anyway.

Something like that anyway.

Was my uncle that introduced me to death metal properly I think, though I can't remember if Napalm Death or Bolt Thrower were the first. Fear, Emptiness, Despair was the first metal album I remember getting, following by Heartwork and Nectrocisism.

For me it was Bloodbath.

I was into the likes of Asking Alexandria, Bring Me The Horizon, Sleeping With Sirens - Then I discovered there was such a thing as death metal.
My friend said to me "If you want to get into heavier stuff, try this."
And he played a Bloodbath song (No way can I remember which it was), and on instinct the three of us started half-moshing. That was it for me. I discovered the likes of Dark Tranquillity, In Flames, Hatebreed, Napalm Death etc very soon after and I was hooked.

Since then I've been very DEATH METAL OR BUST

My heart has recently belonged to Swedish Melodic Death Metal though, and I believe that will be my thing for some time to come.
What are all your favourite genre/sub-genres?

Edit: Actually now that I think about it, I used to listen to very strange sort of metal music like Venus and Baccus(?), Circle Takes The Square, Saetia, Abnormality - So I must have potentially started down this path from a younger age than I expected. Go me

Pantera, Fear Factory, Strapping Young Lad and in that order, it would progressively get heavier and branch into multiple directions and genres.

This got me into metal, and this alone.
I was all about punk and ska in highschool. But once I heard this compilation, and more importantly this song. I had to check out Slayer.
All downhill from there.

Last edited by a moderator: