What do you see as a 'disgrace' to metal music? Why?

if that's all he talks about sure, but there's nothing wrong at all with favoring riffs. Since it is the true backbone of metal.
I love riffs, I grew up obsessed with them, still am, my proudest moment from when I was 13 was learning how to play the patented Chuck Berry double stop riff. The thing is though, there's more to the backbone of metal than just riffs, it's the phrasing, it's the melody, the attitude. To completely dismiss something based on its supposed lack of riffs is noxious and imbecilic.

.. i know man, you dont need to tell me. I already agreed with you that yeah he sounds like a moron if riffs are the ONLY part of the music he values. But I'm just pointing out there's nothing wrong with favoring riffs. If anything it comes naturally to most metalheads. And again, riffs are the backbone and most important part of metal, i'm not sure if that's something you are trying to argue against.

Favoring riffs is fine, sure. Riffs are not the sole most important part of metal, a key ingredient? Sure. But they'd be worthless without good phrasing or rhythmic ingenuity.

who the fuck said sole man? I think i already went out of my way a few times by saying that riffs are NOT the only important ingredient, but yet here you are bull-heading whatever it is you are trying to get across. And yes, they are by far the most important part of a metal composition. Always have been, always will be.

There's more to a riff succeeding than just the riff, that's all I said. In other words, musically, the riff is only fractional to the song's quality if the other stuff doesn't gel or isn't worth it. Making it unequivocally centric to a song's quality is just plain retarded.

who are you arguing with right now? Me or Boris?

Anyway, the riff is by far the most important part of metal is what i'm saying. And no, riffs are without a doubt centric to A LOT of bands/albums/songs. The funny part is you keep trying to explain to me that there's more to metal than just riffs like i'm 13 and just started listening to shitty glam bands yesterday or something, but we both know you are barking up the wrong tree.

Like i said in my first post riffs = king

I'm not arguing with anyone, I'm just speaking tangentially.
giphy.gif

Reactions: H.P. Lovecraft
Riffs are important, but bands tend to shine the most when the songwriting is there and the guitar(s), bass and drums really gel as a unit. Having solid fundamentals as a band is the key to greatness for me in most types of metal.

well yeah no shit .... good songwriting = good songs(for the most part). Bad songwriting = bad songs.

But i guess what's good and bad depends on the listener.

Yeah, but I'm saying the things in my post are what I consider the most important when evaluating a metal band and their songs.