What do you see as a 'disgrace' to metal music? Why?

Simple man makes simple comment and gets butthurt when someone points out it’s simple and then can't let it go :zzz:

Yes, I've read the letter you're alluding to. In fact, it was sent to a friend of mine at the time. I think it can be read in multiple ways. However, even if you read it as him simply shitting on his own music (a valid reading) it doesn't impact what the music accomplishes in the least. I would imagine the intellectually simple wouldn't be able to easily abstract a work of art from the persona of the artist that created it, but for me, that's not a cognitive challenge. So that incident didn't change my position on the record in the least.

I'm not talking about the letter. I'm talking about Josh openly stating that his music is a joke and that people who like it are dumb in an unambiguous fashion on the forum for Full Moon Productions, the label that released his music. He was a moderator there for several years and his identity was confirmed by the label owner.

As someone that was shaped by UltraBoris if by anyone on the internet, this is kind of an exaggeration and also misses the point. He certainly loved plenty of melodic albums that weren't even particularly riff-heavy, but more than that, it is ultimately the riff that defines metal music more than anything. Heavy metal is essentially a form of hard rock that relies on a higher quantity and diversity of riffing styles, generally ones distinct from the majority of rock music pre-70s (and vast majority pre-60s). As heavy metal evolved, its lineage was defined primarily by more newly incorporated riffing styles. While there's no doubt that a person can write great riffs and still crap songs (see: a number of post-Rust in Peace Megadeth songs), it is almost impossible to write a great metal song without great riffs. A highly-arranged prog opus with a string section, classically-trained singers, with movements between several different key signatures, but yet just a bunch of syncopated chugs filling out the basic riffing units could have a lot going for yet still ends up merely with a heavier, down-tuned Genesis or ELP. I would love to hear what you consider to be a great metal album with mediocre-at-best riffs, black metal aside (which largely isn't actually metal for this very reason).

Can you explain what you mean by "the phrasing" btw? As I would understand the word in a musical context, it's an intrinsic part of what makes the riff.
Oh boy, a six year dissertation on the genesis and music theory of heavy metal, I needed this, because it's not like I was there or anything. I never argued riffs weren't a centerpiece, I just said it wasn't necessarily "king", as I felt there were other things that were just as important, i.e. attitude and phrasing. Phrasing is simply the placing of the notes, riff or no riff. The decision to wait half a beat to put the second A note after the first A note, that's phrasing.

Exactly the kind of music I was imagining. Obviously a talented dude and I've thawed on him a bit, but a lot of his music is basically heavy dental office pop, even when good.
Yeah. I love his technicality, it's truly thrilling, but why he insists on making it this glossy popification of what could otherwise be one of my favorite collections of music on Earth just for its sheer technical adventurousness, is beyond me.

I'm not talking about the letter. I'm talking about Josh openly stating that his music is a joke and that people who like it are dumb in an unambiguous fashion on the forum for Full Moon Productions, the label that released his music. He was a moderator there for several years and his identity was confirmed by the label owner.

Cool. Changes nothing about my point, which I doubt you have a convincing counterargument to, if you even get it.

You're learning

I'm glad that we've been molding your taste in metal. Maybe one day you will cast aside all that plebeian devildriver shit you regularly listen to.

Chuck Billy can fix your clear rectal cavity displacement for you with a solid leather boot up the ass.
he would probably enjoy it

Reactions: H.P. Lovecraft