What does your family/parents think of extreme metal?

-deathboy- said:
she was a happy little camper. i swear she never takes her deeds hoody off. but i do love the strange looks she gets from so called "normal" parents when we are at school functions. they try to say metal will ruin her, yet she's a 4.0 honor roll student in the accelerated class and a 2 year veteran playing bass in the jazz band!

well...well.... I'm like 3.5! so there! Get her a Deicide shirt and then see what the othe parents say.

Montu Sekhmet said:
well...well.... I'm like 3.5! so there! Get her a Deicide shirt and then see what the othe parents say.
Yes and a black metal shirt with a baphomet or up-side down star on it. I finished high school with a 3.75 earlier this year so that notion makes me :lol: .

My brother doesn't care for metal, though he actually got into metal with me, and then stopped listening to it a couple years later (this was some 16 or 17 years ago, and it was mostly thrash we were listening to back then). My dad doesn't really care, but at least he likes it better than hip hop (which he despises, just like I do). My mom thinks it's just noise. But none of this matters, since I'm 29 years old, and don't live with my family anymore.

I know I'm late, but I don't give a shit.

My mom loves my music. She doesn't like some of it cause it's "too crazy" but I was playing Summoning one day and she was really liking it.

I have a little brother too, he likes some of my music. I can't wait 'til he grows up to be a metalhead. (Cause he seems like he might be when he gets older. If not, then oh well.)

-deathboy- said:
on a related note, here's me, my daughter, my son and one of the neighborhood kids at this years northwest deathfest featuring obituary and deeds of flesh:
!

Awesome, you're my new role model on parenting:kickass:

I keep my parents in the dark mostly. My mom flipped when I started readin LaVey's books and I know she's still really against the fact that I'm atheist. I though it would bother my real dad, but he didn't seem to give a shit really.

As for family musical tastes, my stepfather is into some older metal, and he's gone with me and my friends to most concerts I went to. My birth father is the same way, except he seems to prefer classic rock. My mom doesn't lie either and I still remember how bad she flipped out when I bought a Burzum shirt that had the phrase "Coming Soon to a Church Near You" written on it. She didn't talk to me for a few days, and to this day she still doesn't like it. She says that it's "disrespectful", but she seems to be the only one who thinks so.

Father Belial said:
Awesome, you're my new role model on parenting:kickass:

I keep my parents in the dark mostly. My mom flipped when I started readin LaVey's books and I know she's still really against the fact that I'm atheist. I though it would bother my real dad, but he didn't seem to give a shit really.

As for family musical tastes, my stepfather is into some older metal, and he's gone with me and my friends to most concerts I went to. My birth father is the same way, except he seems to prefer classic rock. My mom doesn't lie either and I still remember how bad she flipped out when I bought a Burzum shirt that had the phrase "Coming Soon to a Church Near You" written on it. She didn't talk to me for a few days, and to this day she still doesn't like it. She says that it's "disrespectful", but she seems to be the only one who thinks so.
:lol: I have to be a little careful about buying t-shirts with baphomets and up-side down stars because of my family and the surrounding Christian area. But that's only because I'm living with my parents. In 4 years when I move out(I'm only home on the weekends anyways) I can wear whatever shirt I want.

They're not into metal too much.My Dad always liked Rock-N-Roll like The Beatles and Steppenwolf...My Mom likes Abba.My brother likes a few metal bands..Judas Priest and a few others..My sister likes pop rock or alternative I think. As far as I know I'm the only REAL metalhead in my family.

oh snap!
boy howdy did i ever just get kicked in the shin! my lovely other half just e-bitchslapped me for not mentioning that it was her behind the camera taking the pic! yea we like to make family outings listening to the worlds most beautiful music.

i truly feel sorry for anyone who's parents are close minded control freaks. i completely understand. i grew up in a military household where my brothers and i called my dad sir. to this day he still hates the music i play/listen to and i still fuck with his religious beliefs every chance i get. 'tis a major portion of the reasoning behind my encouraging my own offspring to think for themselves and live their lives the way they choose. of course i did tell them that if they end up in jail i reserve the right to point and laugh!

-deathboy- said:
oh snap!
boy howdy did i ever just get kicked in the shin! my lovely other half just e-bitchslapped me for not mentioning that it was her behind the camera taking the pic! yea we like to make family outings listening to the worlds most beautiful music.

i truly feel sorry for anyone who's parents are close minded control freaks. i completely understand. i grew up in a military household where my brothers and i called my dad sir. to this day he still hates the music i play/listen to and i still fuck with his religious beliefs every chance i get. 'tis a major portion of the reasoning behind my encouraging my own offspring to think for themselves and live their lives the way they choose. of course i did tell them that if they end up in jail i reserve the right to point and laugh!

:worship: :worship:

I don't get the part with "I'm 18 now, i can do whatever i want". You could have done whatever you wanted when you were 17 years old, or 16.. what's the difference? I belive 18 years old means now you're assuming some responsibilities (spelling?) but we're talking about music, so i don't get the point.

immo said:
I don't get the part with "I'm 18 now, i can do whatever i want". You could have done whatever you wanted when you were 17 years old, or 16.. what's the difference? I belive 18 years old means now you're assuming some responsibilities (spelling?) but we're talking about music, so i don't get the point.
Yeah, after I typed that, I thought it sounded pretty dumb, sorry about that. I've always taken responsibility for what I listen to, but at the same time, I don't want to cause a lot of problems in my household. My mother only sees the religion (Or lack there of) context and makes a big deal about it that generally causes way too many arguements

Father Belial said:
Yeah, after I typed that, I thought it sounded pretty dumb, sorry about that. I've always taken responsibility for what I listen to, but at the same time, I don't want to cause a lot of problems in my household. My mother only sees the religion (Or lack there of) context and makes a big deal about it that generally causes way too many arguements
My parents could punish me when I was 17, now they can't do anytihng is what I meant.

I'm really thankful my mom hates metal. It would be really fucking wierd if she didn't. My dad has always listened to wierd shit like Captain Beefheart, Frank Zappa, The Residents, Devo, etc. so I think he enjoys it for the musicianship and for how different it is.

of course you really give fuck all about what your parents disapprove of after you move out.