What is the scariest or most evil sounding album you can think of?

MrTagoMago

Jul 8, 2016
As far as metal albums go the main album that comes to mind is Godflesh - Streetcleaner.

Also I see people tend to mention Bathory - Under the sign of the black mark.

Some folks even mention Black Sabbath's first album. That said the most frightening albums imo are usually industrial.

I've never heard any music that I found particularly frightening.
Music doesn't particularly frighten me either but some music I find is really good at creating a disturbing atmosphere. Laying in bed late at night listening to SPK - Leichenschrei can be quite an unnerving experience imo.

None of that sounds particularly scary or evil to me.

The only album that really comes to mind is Decide's debut or Altars Of Madness, but that's more likely due to me hearing them at a young enough age that the idea that music could sound "evil" wasn't something I had even thought about.

The lyrics and riffing on Altars Of Madness and the vocal delivery on Deicide have always stuck with me in the same way the first genuinely scary or disturbing piece of cinema (for me, The Exorcist) does.

None of that sounds particularly scary or evil to me.

The only album that really comes to mind is Decide's debut or Altars Of Madness, but that's more likely due to me hearing them at a young enough age that the idea that music could sound "evil" wasn't something I had even thought about.

The lyrics and riffing on Altars Of Madness and the vocal delivery on Deicide have always stuck with me in the same way the first genuinely scary or disturbing piece of cinema (for me, The Exorcist) does.

I don't find either of those scary but I can see what you mean with hearing it at a younger age and being intimidated back then would leave lingering feelings of fear.

Reactions: CiG
Streetcleaner is definitely the one choice in here besides my own that I could see being scary in some way.

Id say a lot of music to be scary imo has to be listened to at night while you're laying down so it can more easily crawl under your skin especially stuff like this.

I don't really think Streetcleaner is evil sounding or scary in the usual way, but it is really dystopic and depressing. Great stuff nontheless.
I would post Lustmord - "Heresy" with the screaming sounds and shit but I guess they deleted everything from youtube. Atrium Carceri is good though too.
Heresy is extremely evil and scary sounding, definitely a great choice. Atrium Carceri doesn't even come close imo.

Dark/ritual ambient, noise and power electronics sorta bands do 'frightening' way better than metal.

Hell Awaits may be rifftastic but fuck off does it sound at all scary.

It seems that "evil" could be so many different things. I could imagine a lot of symphonic black metal sounding evil, but it's also so theatrical most times that it undercuts its own solemnity.

As far as a band that really hits an excruciating coldness, which I wouldn't necessarily call "evil" - I would vote for Darkspace.

Try

Hexentanz - Nekrocrafte

Also I second
Deicide - s/t
But for different reasons than that album.