What is the scariest or most evil sounding album you can think of?

I guess that I just need to find the right gateway albums. The topic that I made was a good start. I bought a couple of Absu albums and the Master's Hammer demo compilation. We'll see how that pans out.

Weird, it was working when I posted it. And yeah they do have some staff reviewers but most of the metal reviews tend to be by users. I've never posted there but I've read quite a few of the reviews on that site. They vary massively in quality.

Many albums have multiple reviews but you can only access the "featured" review when you click on the album on the website. If you google some albums it will show the other reviews. It's kinda strange, maybe you can see the other reviews from the homepage if you're a member idk.

I guess that I just need to find the right gateway albums. The topic that I made was a good start. I bought a couple of Absu albums and the Master's Hammer demo compilation. We'll see how that pans out.

My gateways:

Death metal - Morbid Angel - Altars of Madness but you've said you already liked this. I knew there was no turning back after this. (I dabbled in some "melodeath" before this, not much of which I like.)

Black metal - Emperor - In the Nightside Eclipse. The first Emperor song I heard was "I Am the Black Wizards" which I downloaded (I know, shameful, but I was like 16) and I was actually really surprised when I bought In the Nightside Eclipse and it sounded very different. It turns out I had downloaded the Emperor EP version of the song and hadn't realised. I still much prefer that EP version. I listened to this album on headphones while walking on a dark night and was actually terrified at the time. First track still gives me chills today.

I think the LLN stuff is some of the evilest music I've heard:

Brenorivrezorkre:

Mutiilation-Remains of a Ruined, Dead, Cursed Soul

Belketre- March to the Black Holocaust

Other obvious candidates are:

Darkthrone- Transilvanian Hunger
Deathspell Omega- Paracletus/ Fas
Graveland- Carpathian Wolves

As for non-metal, Swans "Public Castration is a Good Idea" and "Young God" are as evil as it gets.

Reactions: EternalMetal
Helloween's The Dark Ride is pretty dark sounding. Check out the songs Deliver Us and Escalation 666, for example.

Also:
Alice Cooper - Brutal Planet
And of course Painkiller is evil as Satan himself.

I actually listened to part of one of those Helloween songs and "dark" isn't at all a word that I would use to describe it.

Reactions: CiG
Deicide - Legion
Demoncy - Joined in Darkness
Beherit - Drawing Down the Moon
Goatlord - Reflections of the Solstice
Incantation - Mortal Throne of Nazarene
Mayhem - De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas
Mystifier - Goetia
Necromantia - Crossing the Fiery Path

Hearing Venom 'Welcome to Hell' for the first time brings back great memories......... thought I was gonna be possessed by SATAN !!!!

Reactions: CiG
I think for me it was Sarcofago - The Laws of Scourge definitly!
The first time I listened to it I was fascinated with the album cover art and the ultra dark (erotic and evil) athmosphere on this album.

Never heard such a sound before.

From newer albums I would pick Tryptikon - Melana Chasmata because it sounds very doomy and when I listen to this it really shakes me every time.

Don't know if anyone else has said this but Gnaw Their Tongue's music is creepy af