What is the significant difference between deathcore and metalcore?

warchild7.62

Nov 3, 2010
Ok guys what do you think is the main and most important factor in determining whether a band is mostly deathcore or metalcore. besides the fact that alot of metalcore bands are just sounding like straight emo fags when they sing clean i think they have more than most people think in common. alot of the riffs and transitions are similar but usually more technical and unorthodox in deathcore...is it the style of singing? the lyrics? the music? what?

*Ahem*

Well deathcore is death metal mixed with hardcore and metalcore is metal mixed with hardcore. So, all things being right and proper, the significant difference would be the death metal element in deathcore as opposed to the metal element in metalcore. In case I'm moving too fast here, let's break this down:

Deathcore = death metal + hardcore
Metalcore = metal + hardcore

I've underlined the significant differences.

Hope this helps.

*Ahem*

Well deathcore is death metal mixed with hardcore and metalcore is metal mixed with hardcore. So, all things being right and proper, the significant difference would be the death metal element in deathcore as opposed to the metal element in metalcore. In case I'm moving too fast here, let's break this down:

Hope this helps.
/thread

I'd also note that those genres mix with the new, shitty hardcore (i.e. the thing that kids call hardcore these days). On the other hand, if a metal band uses a real hardcore elements, it's usually tagged as a crossover.

metalcore tends to have singing while deathcore doesn't really. Also the lyrics in metalcore are more 'emo' haha. Deathcore lyrics tend to be cool as fuck.

Deathcore also tends to try to sound brutal and technical ala pig squeals and Necrophagist worship. The riffs are usually more chuggy also. Metalcore tends to be more focused on Melody and making the music more mainstream. Both genres suck and only have a handful of worth-while bands between them though...that they do have in common.

I'm pretty sure the main difference is that Metal/deathcore breakdowns are the focus of th song and the extent of the guitarist's abilities, while in regular death metal breakdowns are just another technique.
Really the bands aren't gay themselves, it's the way they look and the way their fans act that make them despised. Also single open note breakdowns mixed with weak dm vocals and/or nearly falsetto vocals never sounded very good.

I think the main difference is that metalcore is everything gone wrong with metal where as deathcore is everything gone wrong with metal plus the additional nomination of being the worst music genre in existence.

I think the main difference is that metalcore is everything gone wrong with metal where as deathcore is everything gone wrong with metal plus the additional nomination of being the worst music genre in existence.

Worse than happy hardcore? Surely not.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pd-zJUVUsfE&feature=fvst[/ame]

Deathcore also tends to try to sound brutal and technical ala pig squeals and Necrophagist worship. The riffs are usually more chuggy also. Metalcore tends to be more focused on Melody and making the music more mainstream. Both genres suck and only have a handful of worth-while bands between them though...that they do have in common.

Death metal was doing pig squeals long before deathcore ever did. Case in point, NSV-era Cryptopsy.

Deathcore focuses on a chugging pattern of "riffs" with multiple breakdowns to put an emphasis on being as heavy as possible for the sake of being heavy.

Metalcore mixes in clean singing with it's generic chugging patterns and throws in some melody as well to try and appeal to the more casual metal listener who just wants something "heavy" and "easy to listen to" at the same time.

Something like that I guess. They both suck fucking horribly though.

Death metal was doing pig squeals long before deathcore ever did. Case in point, NSV-era Cryptopsy.
I didn't say that the pig squeals were genre specific to Deathcore, just used it as an example of how it differed from Metalcore. And of course Deathcore would borrow elements from Death Metal, I mean it is called DEATHcore.

Deathcore focuses on a chugging pattern of "riffs" with multiple breakdowns to put an emphasis on being as heavy as possible for the sake of being heavy.

Metalcore mixes in clean singing with it's generic chugging patterns and throws in some melody as well to try and appeal to the more casual metal listener who just wants something "heavy" and "easy to listen to" at the same time.

Something like that I guess. They both suck fucking horribly though.

Glad to see we both have the same opinion.

*Ahem*

Hope this helps.

oh i see...you totally made me understand now...thankyou for your vast and pinpoint intellect on this topic...except the fact that none of these faggy ass deathcore and metalcore bands sound "death metal", "metal", or "hardcore"...the original metalcore bands that actually blended metal and hardcore are long gone...and deathcore is just garbage...it sounds nothing like death metal or hardcore...but thanks for playing...oh yeah scene kids rule...!!! LOL...