What is the significant difference between deathcore and metalcore?

Random thoughts and links:

The Ills of Modern Man is as good as The Healing Process imo

Prey For Eyes is another good album, everyone seems to love The Red Chord's first two though.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esz_epOZ-zQ&feature=related[/ame]

Whitechapel are rather heavy and pretty good

The latest Ion Dissonance doesn't sound too bad

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiNFcMglVOg&feature=related[/ame]

Norma Jean's Oh God... the Aftermath is still fucking awesome, and is probably my fave metalcore album (excluding albums from bands like Converge, Botch and Coalesce who i have difficulty lumping in with metalcore).

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPALTYQM57A&feature=related[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZPw42QBy8U&NR=1[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrGZ1RdlOTc&NR=1[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:
Quite a few replies in this thread. Is it because you guys really do give a shit about deathcore? I kind of do.

These guys are extremely good live, and have some very good songs. If you've already made your mind up about deathcore, then you probably won't dig it, otherwise you just might like it:

And Despised Icon are great live too, very tight. Because of that I really like them, and I reckon they stand out in the deathcore scene. I agree that the The Red Chord are good to.

You seem to always hear that 'this band is the best deathcore, they stand out' etc, about every band. Just shows everyone has different opinions.

These guys are very very good too - it kind of mixes Dying Fetus, Misery Index, Despised Icon, and All Shall Perish:

Man Must Die is pretty good. On the metalcore side of things, my favorites would include Shadows Fall, (older)All That Remains, Darkest Hour, Threat Signal, and As I Lie Dying. And yes, I know that most people here hate all 5 of those bands.

• Deathcore
  • Doom and Ruination by Job For a Cowboy
  • The last three Between the Buried and Me albums
  • We Butter the Bread with Butter is fun electro-deathcore, but it's really simplistic and 90% of the songs are breakdowns so you will probably hate them, just like everyone else on the board.

Metalcore
  • This Darkened Heart by All That Remains

My "good core" picks, tbh.

I can only get into Colors by Between the Buried and Me. And I'm listening to the song by the Red Chord posted earlier, it seems repetitive, and the breakdown was week as hell. When I hear a breakdown I want it to be 40 bmp. If the Red Chord is always like that and it is the best this sub-genre has to offer I think I'll stay off of it.

Man Must Die is pretty good. On the metalcore side of things, my favorites would include Shadows Fall, (older)All That Remains, Darkest Hour, Threat Signal, and As I Lie Dying. And yes, I know that most people here hate all 5 of those bands.

I love Darkest Hour and As I Lay Dying, I'm not ashamed hahaha.

Deliver Us by Darkest Hour is a really great album, it was produced by Devin Townsend too. It's really melodic and atmospheric, to dumb it down a lot. He has also produced two of Misery Signal's albums, and they kind of have that feel to them too. Metalcore isn't all that bad.

I'm not that into deathcore but I'm a fan of metalcore, usually, if it's good (inb4 "LOL IT'S NEVER GOOD", fuck you, blah blah heard it before). Good deathcore includes Despised Icon and Whitechapel. Most deathcore is fucking lame and horrible and almost unlistenable because it doesn't even do breakdowns correctly, but those two bands are fairly good. For metalcore, I'm partial to modern metalcore like Raunchy, the first It Dies Today album, The Sorrow's first album (Blessings From A Blackened Sky), etc.

Between the Buried and Me is more metalcore then deathcore. The Red Chord's first two albums are quite great. Despised Icon is just boring. Whitechapel is probably the best of the "brutal" deathcore bands, and well, Thy Art is Murder's new album is probably one of the best deathcore releases ever, although it sounds a lot heavier and faster then most deathcore.

Only their Full length is recommendable. It's kinda hard to say really, they sound like Whitechapel's The Somatic Defilement on crack with more guitar solos and insanely fast drumming. George Kollias speed.

theres a couple good deathcore bands i like, The Red Shore, Wretched and The Contortionist are pretty good, All Shall Perish's last album wasnt bad either ... Arkaik and The Faceless are pretty bad ass, but they lean more towards tech-death nowadays.... and the Acacia Strain are one of my rare guilty pleasures :D

Yeah The Red Shore & Thy Art Is Murder are both solid Aussie bands representin yo. I saw them both with Despised Icon last month and they were both good but they had rubbish sound compared to DI unfortunately.

Only their Full length is recommendable. It's kinda hard to say really, they sound like Whitechapel's The Somatic Defilement on crack with more guitar solos and insanely fast drumming. George Kollias speed.

Yes! I love them, and they pull off everything very well live too. You can hate the style as much you like, but you can't deny that they're very good musicians!

This track has got a bit a Meshuggah/late Decapitated influence on it: