What languages do you speak already and which would you like to learn? (and why?)

kovotojas

reitermaniac
Jul 21, 2004
US....for now
English (obviously), I have for four years and am continuing to take German in school, three years of Latin (not that I can speak any), and next year I am beginning French also.

On the side, I am extremely slowly teaching myself Swedish, and eventually I'd like to learn Lithuanian and maybe Dutch.

I speak English (obviously)

some pretty decent French, also. I'm teaching myself Finnish, and in the future I'd like to learn German and probably Swedish.

I speak English and am learning Arabic (can speak it a good deal; more than I usually give myself credit for).

I want to learn Swedish (as you probably know by now), Norwegian, ICELANDIC (\m/), and OLD ENGLISH (\m/ \m/), foremost among others (such as OLD NORSE).

Capital letters indicate that said langauge is incredibly bad-ass, btw.

I am proud to say that I Do Not speak Spanish, French, or Italian. I'm also happy to report that I do not speak any Asian language (although Japanese wouldn't be bad).

well, english of course
hmm, I had 4 years latin in school, and I'm learing it again at the moment for my studies, but of course, I can't speak it
I also started to learn swedish some month ago, because that seemed to me the easiest of the scandinavian languages. And with swedish they'll propably understand you in Norway as in Finland.

But most proud I am of the 7 finnish words I know!!! ;)
well, I'd like to learn finnish, too, but I suppose that's to difficult to do it just for fun. I think I would have also some fun in learning spanish, i like this special sound of this language.

eh, and I tried to learn french but argh.. I really dislike this language...

Finnish is my motherstongue, and I'm studying Scandinavian languages (Swedish, Danish, Norwegian, Islandic, Faroese, Old Islandic) in the university as my mainsubject. The 3rd year is about to begin in autumn, and I'll also take courses in Russian, Polish, Lithuanian and Latvian. I'm going to have Finno-Ugric languages as the sidesubject, namely samoyed languages interests me much. I don't like English very much, although it's quite necessary in nowadays world.

I speak swedish since it is my mother tounge, and I understand but do not speak norweigan and danish, I am proficient in english, I've studied some french, though my capablities are limited and I am currently studying italian. I would also like to learn latin some time.

I suck at languages so I'm very proud of being able speak two (english & swedish) without problems. :p

If I could magicaly learn some more I'd pick Latin cause it sounds cool, Old norse or icelandic for same reasons.. And japanese so I could make meself understood if I ever go there :)

apart from english...

a bit of swedish and danish, but it's pretty primitive I understand far more written and spoken language. If I would live in those countries for 6 months or more I would be able to speak the languages. We in Iceland are obliged to learn danish for 6 years; a remnant from the colonial past.
spanish: I´ve learned spanish for a few years so I can express myself somehow, but I might forget some of it in the next years :(
french: argh! I took 2 years of that weirdness in college/gymnasium and so a few phrases...
german: learned it for 4 years in school. going to Wacken every year seems to bring the colloquial words :) I can speak OK it but sometimes in the wrong word order and I switch to english if things get complex
faroese: a few phrases, but I understand almost all the written language
dutch + portuguese + chech +finnish + italian...: a few words
latin: I learned that for 2 years in school.. very complex but very accurate language.. forgotten most of it.. I once got a 10 in one exam :)

Seems like Solefald like languages considering the variety on the new album

Native language: German (which I speak quite well, hehe...)

2nd native language: French, as my father is a Frenchman

1st foreign language: Latin (7 years at school, but I can't speak it)

2nd foreign language: English (also 7 years at school)

and now I'm teaching myself Thai as I'm going to Thailand for one year, but I haven't learned a lot yet.

Frostheim said:
Finnish is my motherstongue, and I'm studying Scandinavian languages (Swedish, Danish, Norwegian, Islandic, Faroese, Old Islandic) in the university as my mainsubject. The 3rd year is about to begin in autumn, and I'll also take courses in Russian, Polish, Lithuanian and Latvian. I'm going to have Finno-Ugric languages as the sidesubject, namely samoyed languages interests me much. I don't like English very much, although it's quite necessary in nowadays world.
what do you plan on doing after you have finished your studies?

as for me:
I do extremely well in German :D

English works quite well although I wish I was a lot better. I could use a much wider vocabulary for a start.

Once began learning Swedish years ago but put it to rest before it really started. Started a little more serious last year. Reading is fairly ok for a beginner but we better not speak about everything else. Although I'm proud I managed a few situations in Swedish earlier this year :) It seems to work when there's no other way out, hehe.

French - learned it for 4 years in school which is over 10 years ago and I haven't really used it ever since, so it's more than rusty :D I'd be totally lost if I had to have a conversation. As I have to deal with a lot of customers from Belgium, I can still read quite a lot of stuff that is related to my daily work though.

Same goes for Spanish, the only difference is that I only learned it for 2 years.

I only speak English, but there's several languages I wish I knew.

I'd like to learn Czechoslovakian because that's my grandmother's native language.

I'd also like to learn German because that's my mother's native language. She speaks it very well but she didn't make sure us children retained it after we moved to the United States. (I'm not blaming her or anything she had valid reasons). But I wish I had learned it!

I had 2 years of Spanish in high school (about 13 years ago) but I don't speak it very well. I'm better at reading it, but I have to use a dictionary to translate some things.

Swedish, Finnish, and Norwegian would be cool too, but I can barely speak English properly, so all these other languages would be a big stretch for me!

Norwegian is my native tongue (bokmål and nynorsk), 2. language is English, then comes German and French.
I could really use to learn Old Norse and Latin to be able to work directly with source material instead of translations. It is fairly possible to read Old Norse, but a complete analysis of the sentences is worse without more than a superficial knowledge of the grammatical structure.

Gaunerin said:
what do you plan on doing after you have finished your studies?

Haven't thought about it very much, but hope to get a job that has even something to do with the languages I've studied by then. I find the most essential to concentrate on those subjects that interests me most, and the rest is something I don't even want to think about for now; much is to come, and much is to change as time passes.

Frostheim said:
Finnish is my motherstongue [...] The 3rd year is about to begin in autumn, and I'll also take courses in Russian, Polish, Lithuanian and Latvian.

Impressive!

A więc pozdrowienia z Polski kolego :)

A teraz mam test - wymów to znane polskie zdanie:
"W szczebrzeszynie chrząszcz brzmi w trzcinie".

Szczęka opada na podłogę chyba, nie? :)

His Divine Shadow said:
I'd like to learn Czechoslovakian because that's my grandmother's native language.

Czeshoslovakian doesn't exist, there's either Czech or Slovakian for you to learn ;)

my mother tongue is Croatian, I've beend learning English for 13 years and know it very well and have also been learning German for 4 years but unfortunately don't know it really well :)
I also know some Latin (4th year of studying) and I'm learning ancient Greek

Actually, no one who studies Latin can really speak it because the latin taught in schools is classical literary Latin. It has more endings and more complicated grammer than what Romans spoke, so learning it is really only good for translating Latin literature. After three years of Latin I realized I didn't know how to say "yes" or "no".

Spanish and german are my native languages - which I speak really good.

My english has improved a lot this last year because I'm working in an english-speaking enviroment.

I'm teaching myself swedish - reading and writing is not so difficult, but I think I would sound terrible trying to speak. I still don't get used to all these /sj/ /sk/ and /stj/ sounds.

I would love to keep on learning languages as soon as I get a decent level of swedish. Maybe french and russian (in that order) could come next.

rmbt said:
A więc pozdrowienia z Polski kolego :)

A teraz mam test - wymów to znane polskie zdanie:
"W szczebrzeszynie chrząszcz brzmi w trzcinie".

Szczęka opada na podłogę chyba, nie? :)

Heh, at first Polish looks quite difficult to pronounce, but hope to get into it. :)

And here's a Finnish word with one prefix and "a couple" of suffixes:
Epäjärjestelmällistyttämättömyydellänsäkäänköhän.

:tickled:

PS. Actually the word has been constructed of suffixes and such, and not for the _common_ use but to show that it's possible to build up words in Finnish that are very complex both in their meaning and construction. The word is grammatically right, but the IRL situation would be absurd. o_O

English fluently. Some conversational French and German, and basic Italian and Latin. I'd be quite interested in learning the "other" British languages - Welsh, Gaelic, Cornish and Manx; and I'd like to learn at least one Asian language, probably Urdu or Punjabi.