What the hell is 'metalcore'?

I think the word "shit" describes it perfectly. Very few metalcore bands are any good, mainly cause they're formed with the idea of commercial success. Metalcore is currently taking its place as the new nu-metal.

Tanith said:
I think the word "shit" describes it perfectly. Very few metalcore bands are any good, mainly cause they're formed with the idea of commercial success. Metalcore is currently taking its place as the new nu-metal.
Agreed. There's a lot of crap metalcore bands out their being praised left and right, with little or nothing to offer. Bands like Bleeding Through, End This Day, Shai Hulud, Every Time I Die, Atreyu, and Between The Buried and Me are about as interestng as watching paint dry. Call them metalcore, or call them something else it doesn't matter; genre's may change, shit is still shit.

Agreed. There's a lot of crap metalcore bands out their being praised left and right, with little or nothing to offer. Bands like Bleeding Through, End This Day, Shai Hulud, Every Time I Die, Atreyu, and Between The Buried and Me are about as interestng as watching paint dry. Call them metalcore, or call them something else it doesn't matter; genre's may change, shit is still shit.

Though I can't speak for the other bands you listed, Every Time I Die is anything but boring. Have you even heard their material, or did you just decide to use their name merely for the sake of argument? After all, music of the intricate and heavy variety interspersed with thought-provoking lyrics and an intense vocalist doesn't exactly produce feelings of tedium in most individuals.

DiscipleOfPlato said:
Though I can't speak for the other bands you listed, Every Time I Die is anything but boring. Have you even heard their material, or did you just decide to use their name merely for the sake of argument? After all, music of the intricate and heavy variety interspersed with thought-provoking lyrics and an intense vocalist doesn't exactly produce feelings of tedium in most individuals.
Yes, I have heard their work (more specifically, Hot Damn), and I was unimpressed. The runtime caught my eye even before I listened to it: under a half hour...would this half hour be high quality, or the result of a lack of focus? I felt it was the latter; Every Time I Die spent the entire span of the disc playing tug of war with themselves. They got caught in the threads of hardcore on the one hand and what was almost a pseudo-thrash idealogy and style on the other. Don't get me wrong, this is something a lot of people would get into, but it certainly wasn't for me. I've been listening to a lot of metalcore lately, and about 3/4 of what I hear isn't to my liking. The genre is exploding so fast, it's ridiculous. It's becoming inflated, and I definately feel calling it the new "nu-metal" is validated.

A quick rundown of the bands I listed:

Bleeding Through-This Is Love... is not a bad CD (except for those lyrics; my God, this puts the cheesiest power metal bands to shame), but it feels like these guys reeeeeeeaaly wanna play melodic death. As a result, their compositions suffer from a musical identity crisis.

End This Day-Ewwwww...I had to turn this off halfway through Lily White and Blood Red. Also, this band cannot and should not have written two instrumentals.

Shai Hulud-I listened to two of these guys' CDs. I cannot remember either of their names but it does not matter; the music was virtually interchangable. Zero variation, zero reason for me to listen again.

Atreyu-I actually purchased this CD used for $5. Half of it isn't bad, nothing to scream about, but not bad. The other half is wretched, and there are some seriously bad lyrics here too as well (At Least I Know I'm A Sinner comes to mind).

Between The Buried and Me-A strange one. You certainly can't accuse these guys of being unoriginal. There's a lot going on on the disc I heard (I think it was self titled, I can't remember). But in the end, breakdowns for the sake of breakdowns is not a good path to take. Well placed breakdowns=Cephalic Carnage. No need to go any further.

Tanith said:
Don't even start. You know nothing about metalcore. just because you don't like what you've heard that does not mean its becoming the "new nu-metal". Nothings gonna be the "new nu-metal", people are only gonna create bullshit terms like that.

ffanatic said:
Yes, I have heard their work (more specifically, Hot Damn), and I was unimpressed. The runtime caught my eye even before I listened to it: under a half hour...would this half hour be high quality, or the result of a lack of focus? I felt it was the latter; Every Time I Die spent the entire span of the disc playing tug of war with themselves. They got caught in the threads of hardcore on the one hand and what was almost a pseudo-thrash idealogy and style on the other. Don't get me wrong, this is something a lot of people would get into, but it certainly wasn't for me. I've been listening to a lot of metalcore lately, and about 3/4 of what I hear isn't to my liking. The genre is exploding so fast, it's ridiculous. It's becoming inflated, and I definately feel calling it the new "nu-metal" is validated.

A quick rundown of the bands I listed:

Bleeding Through-This Is Love... is not a bad CD (except for those lyrics; my God, this puts the cheesiest power metal bands to shame), but it feels like these guys reeeeeeeaaly wanna play melodic death. As a result, their compositions suffer from a musical identity crisis.

End This Day-Ewwwww...I had to turn this off halfway through Lily White and Blood Red. Also, this band cannot and should not have written two instrumentals.

Shai Hulud-I listened to two of these guys' CDs. I cannot remember either of their names but it does not matter; the music was virtually interchangable. Zero variation, zero reason for me to listen again.

Atreyu-I actually purchased this CD used for $5. Half of it isn't bad, nothing to scream about, but not bad. The other half is wretched, and there are some seriously bad lyrics here too as well (At Least I Know I'm A Sinner comes to mind).

Between The Buried and Me-A strange one. You certainly can't accuse these guys of being unoriginal. There's a lot going on on the disc I heard (I think it was self titled, I can't remember). But in the end, breakdowns for the sake of breakdowns is not a good path to take. Well placed breakdowns=Cephalic Carnage. No need to go any further.

You checked out some of the worst metalcore bands out there. Listen to Lamb of God, Shadows Fall, or Prayer For Cleansing. They are really good Metalcore bands that aren't all about image and are actually very good.

Life Sucks said:
A hybrid of hardcore and metal. Bands like Killswitch Engage, Dillenger Escape Plan, Shai Hulud, Earth Crisis, One King Down, Merauder, God Forbid, Caliban, Converge, etc.
Tanith said:
I agree with both of these statements. Some semi-good bands but mostly gimmicky crap.

SunlapseVertigo said:
Don't even start. You know nothing about metalcore. just because you don't like what you've heard that does not mean its becoming the "new nu-metal". Nothings gonna be the "new nu-metal", people are only gonna create bullshit terms like that.
Pfah. There are metalcore bands out there that are genuinely talented and genuinely good, its just not my taste. HOWEVER, a large portion of them are in it for the commercial success. Metalcore is the "In" thing, replacing Nu-metal, which WAS the "In" thing. Therefore, it is the "new nu-metal". Its not a bullshit term, its true.

When it comes to my view of metalcore bands it is pretty polar. I love them or I hate them. God I fucking despise metalcore bands like Eighteen Visions, Ateryu and Avenged Sevenfold. I hate those emo-metalcore bands too by the way. In my eyes they seem to be a big bunch of whiney fucking posers. I do like some metalcore like Lamb Of God and Shadows Fall who both are getting some mainstream acclaim. When it comes to metalcore God Forbid owns them all. Recently bands are doing both heavy metal and hardcore and they're blurring the lines between them. Some metallers look at hardcore with suspicion but don't forget that hardcore did mix with metal in the 80's with thrash metal and thrash-hardcore crossover bands.

Some of you are calling hardcore bands as metalcore but they're not. Bands like Hatebreed, Earth Crisis, and Shai Hulud may sound close to heavy metal but they're not. Those are just hardcore bands.

Why do people keep calling Lamb of God metalcore? They're more Death Metal inspired as far as I can tell, nothing like any of the other metalcore bands I've heard.

And Shadows Fall as well... they're closer to classic thrash than metalcore. So yeah...

I think it's funny how most of you think there are only a "few" good Metalcore bands and that the rest are generic, poser shit. Well, quite frankly, that can be said about ANY genre of music. People seem to forget that.

So what would you call God Forbid? Are they not partly metalcore?

By the way, Lamb Of God were just hardcore when they started as the name Burn The Priest. They got some death/thrash metal in them but I would say they're still metalcore. And Shadows Fall's vocals are like hardcore though.

Tanith said:
Pfah. There are metalcore bands out there that are genuinely talented and genuinely good, its just not my taste. HOWEVER, a large portion of them are in it for the commercial success. Metalcore is the "In" thing, replacing Nu-metal, which WAS the "In" thing. Therefore, it is the "new nu-metal". Its not a bullshit term, its true.
this is exactly what I mean, you are just making generalized statements that are based around your opinion only.... maybe its the "in" thing because a lot of people like it? obviously its more accesable than extreme metal, so why shouldn't it be more popular. why do you assume any accesable band is of course in it just for commercial success. As far as i'm concerned, if you are in it just for commerical success you'd play generic rock like Nickelback or 3 Doors Down. And "nu-metal" is a bullshit term to begin with anyway, but i'm not gonna get into that. Like I said, you are making generalized statements to fit your own opinion.