What the hell is 'metalcore'?

Tanith said:
Why do people keep calling Lamb of God metalcore? They're more Death Metal inspired as far as I can tell, nothing like any of the other metalcore bands I've heard.

And Shadows Fall as well... they're closer to classic thrash than metalcore. So yeah...
Thats what good Metalcore bands sound like, they are metal but have "hardcore breakdowns" or a least that is what I take from the label metalcore.

Tanith said:
I think the word "shit" describes it perfectly. Very few metalcore bands are any good, mainly cause they're formed with the idea of commercial success. Metalcore is currently taking its place as the new nu-metal.

I disagree. The whole metalcore being the new nu-metal is just laughable. I feel that metalcore is a little easier to get into than your average death metal band. This only means that as people continue to listen to real bands they're only going to discover others in other genre's and eventually get into everything that the average metalhead is into. There isn't a damn thing to shun in bands like Between the Buried and Me, Converge, Premonitions of War, Lamb of God, Unearth, or The Red Chord. Hell Malevolent Creation went on tour with Between the Buried and Me and Dead to Fall. Malevolent Creation didn't seem to think these "metalcore" bands sucked way too fucking bad to tour with them. And I'm certain they gained a number of fans on that tour. All of those bands listed above are METAL. So what if they have a breakdown here and there or something God forbid, CATCHY?? Since they don't place themselves in the category death or black...or power metal faggotry, they're automatically "metalcore shit that is going to take the place of nu-metal?" Give me a fucking break. Nu-metal will always be around. Mtv will never stop playing Disturbed, Trapt, Motograter, Korn or any of that bullshit which will always be NU-METAL...because it still sells. Albeit not nearly as much in the past..because decent bands are finally getting played and people are seeing the difference in something that is good and something that is just a bunch of teen angst bullshit. Don't be surprised if some of your favorite death or thrash metal bands are seen on Headbanger's Ball in the future. Real metal is back on the uprise. It's just beginning with the popularity of some metalcore bands. Even Suffocation got coverage on Mtv2..does that mean that old school death is gonna become the new nu-metal? I don't think so...Soilent Green was reviewed in Rolling Stone..but has sludged out Grindcore become the "in" thing? Not at all..Face the facts...real metal is getting good exposure and some of your favorite bands just might be able to live off of what they do..that's not a crime.

Spirit In Black said:
You checked out some of the worst metalcore bands out there. Listen to Lamb of God, Shadows Fall, or Prayer For Cleansing. They are really good Metalcore bands that aren't all about image and are actually very good.
I do enjoy Lamb of God. Shadows Fall are okay in small doses (With Somber Eyes To The Sky and Of One Blood are much better than The Art of Balance). I've never listened to Prayer For Cleansing. Other than that, the only other metalcore bands I listen to regularly are From Autumn To Ashes, The Dillinger Escape Plan (if you can call them that, I certainly don't, but most people do) and The Red Chord (same thing as DEP), early Embodyment, etc.

And as for mealcore being the new "nu-metal", perhaps I should elaborate. I didn't mean that the genre, literally, is replacing nu-metal. I simply meant that metalcore is the "in" thing right now, more so than even melo-death (hell, Bleeding Through supported Soilwork if I remember correctly). The genre is taking off; go back about five years (even less than that, really), metalcore was practically nonexistent. Now look at it. These bands are (even the ones I really detest) are far more enjoyble to listen to than nu metal, but I feel that there are two major problems plaguing the genre:

1) Many of these bands have a serious case of identity crisis. They don't know what they want to play, and their compositions feel unnatural and jilted as a result. Every Time I Die is a perfect example. Half of Hot Damn was in the metalcore vein, but all throughout the disc, I got the feeling that these guys (or some of them) would rather be playing thrash. Who knows, maybe I'll like these bands in a few years when they're sure of what they want to play...

2) Since the genre is getting to big, many of these bands, in an effort to make themselves stand out, are adopting a "for the sake of..." method. Example: Between The Buried and Me. Far too many breakdowns on the CD of theirs that I heard, and many of them were either poorly constructed or too bizzare to enhance the listening experience. In the end, I got the feeling that Between The Buried and Me wanted breakdowns to be their defining feature, but if they're ill-used, what's the point? Again, maybe I'll listen to these guys in the future once they're sure of themselves. But certainly not now.

Yes, I have heard their work (more specifically, Hot Damn), and I was unimpressed. The runtime caught my eye even before I listened to it: under a half hour...would this half hour be high quality, or the result of a lack of focus? I felt it was the latter; Every Time I Die spent the entire span of the disc playing tug of war with themselves. They got caught in the threads of hardcore on the one hand and what was almost a pseudo-thrash idealogy and style on the other. Don't get me wrong, this is something a lot of people would get into, but it certainly wasn't for me. I've been listening to a lot of metalcore lately, and about 3/4 of what I hear isn't to my liking. The genre is exploding so fast, it's ridiculous. It's becoming inflated, and I definately feel calling it the new "nu-metal" is validated.

"Hot Damn" is not their best effort, that title still belongs to their previous album, "Last Night in Town." However, the album you heard is very impressive no less, and if you didn't happen to enjoy it, I wouldn't recommend their other material either. We share different tastes and preferences, and that really can't be helped.

Don't be surprised if some of your favorite death or thrash metal bands are seen on Headbanger's Ball in the future. Real metal is back on the uprise.

I've seen this as well. There is no justification for asserting that metalcore is the new nu-metal when, according to my observations, death and thrash metal have been receiving just as much exposure. Also, every metal genre is a gimmick in itself, whether or not you choose to accept it, however, there are certain bands that work outside this tired gimmick and provide some much-needed innovation. That is where creativity comes in.

DiscipleOfPlato said:
"Hot Damn" is not their best effort, that title still belongs to their previous album, "Last Night in Town." However, the album you heard is very impressive no less, and if you didn't happen to enjoy it, I wouldn't recommend their other material either. We share different tastes and preferences, and that really can't be helped.
True. I'm not saying the genre (or the bands I mentioned, for that matter) really (when it comes down to it) truly suck or anything, it's just not too my liking. Thanks for your maturity in the matter :)

If Luminous finds this thread, he's going to go into super-rant mode. Meh, whatever.

High On Maiden: Hardcore=Sick of it All, Hatebreed, etc. I think.

[$.02]

Perhaps not everyone knows someone like this, but you should all be at least aware of the stereotype. You know those beatnik coffee-house poet types who are actually egoistic enough to wear berets, and walk around with notebooks of their own allusive poetry? But then when they read it, it's stilted, mediocre pablum, interested more in its own barely-satisfying masturbation than conveying a point or doing so with purpose?

Yeah, that's metal-core. As ffanatic noted, there are exceptions, if you even want to lump the outliers with the archetypes. But bands like Zao and early Embodyment (post-death, pre-rock) were actually good metalcore, before the genre got bloated and obtusely pretentious, and merged with emo.

[/$.02]

ffanatic said:
High On Maiden: Hardcore=Sick of it All, Hatebreed, etc. I think.

Right. I think I'm getting a bit confused because unless I'm mistaken hardcore is a branch of punk?? Not to mention a type of dance music!

:loco:

I'm still not 100% sure what hardcore is, when referring to metal - and therefore also metalcore.

o_O

I must say at this point that Every Time I Die fucking rocks. Hot Damn is easily one of my favorite albums of the year, but not top 10 quality. It's still a fantastic album which reminds me of a mixture of Glassjaw (for the weird emo parts) and Drowningman (for the slightly less madcap DEP style of technical metalcore). It's not all that technical, but it's not like anything else out there.

Bleeding Through are pretty good. I never thought they were fantastic, but when I am in the mood for breakdowns, I go straight for them. They do breakdowns nearly the best of any band, and they do them quite often with some pretty decent solos and keyboards added. The lyrics are laughable though, I'll definitely agree with that one.

Other great metalcore bands:

Underoath
Started out as mediocre Zao worship. Started to add black metal on the next album, it's a mixture of black, death, and hardcore with loud cheesy goth keyboards. Newest album is a very diverse emocore album with lots of very heavy breakdowns with death vocals and some black metal guitars in certain points.

Poison the Well
Almost created the whole emo + metalcore idea. First ep was pretty good, excellent vocals (vocalist would leave after this ep to form A Jealousy Issue, who are pretty goddamn awesome), but subpar production. The debut album, The Opposite of December, is easily my favorite metalcore album. It's not very complex, but the breakdowns are fantastic, the vocalist's screams are the best in the genre, and the melodic parts rule. The songwriting is also very strong. Tear from the Red was a decent followup, but the Incubus sounding parts didn't really fit. Good thing You Come Before You was so amazing, it completely renewed my faith in them. If you only listen to one hardcore related release of the year, it should be Beloved - Failure On, but this one makes a close second.

Cave In
Man, their first two albums are utterly fantastic. The first one is a lot more straightforward, but the emo parts already have hints of Failure. The second, Until Your Heart Stops, is flawed, but still near to perfect for most of the album. When they are in metalcore mode on this album, they shine. But when they do the noise experiments, it can drag a bit. They are too long, I think. The metalcore parts are very odd with a heavy bass production, lots of loud distorted drums, and sections which sound almost stolen from Failure but with weird vocals.

For every metalcore band I hear, there are others that do nothing for me like Killswitch Engage (I still don't think they are quite metalcore, but they are exceedingly boring). But then again, mediocre metalcore like As I Lay Dying is still pretty good. I think that metalcore right now is experiencing a big explosion definitely, but a shitload of awesome bands are coming out of it. Hastetheday, Alexisonfire, Curl Up and Die, Beloved, The Bled, On Broken Wings, etc. all rule and are all pretty new bands.

I just wanna add that I hate the shit. just hardcore kids trying to be metal and failing. and emo.........whew that is a whole different ballgame. that shit is fucking terrible.

Meh, I like some of the stuff. I'm not sure what the distinctions are between metalcore and hardcore...I can never really tell the difference, but I enjoy bands like Bleeding Through, Lamb of God, Dillinger Escape Plan, Funeral for a Friend (ok, more emo/rock but still good =), Stampin' Ground.

Stereotypes can be so silleh! There's definately good stuff there! I think.