What the hell is 'metalcore'?

Soilent Goat said:
I disagree. The whole metalcore being the new nu-metal is just laughable. I feel that metalcore is a little easier to get into than your average death metal band. This only means that as people continue to listen to real bands they're only going to discover others in other genre's and eventually get into everything that the average metalhead is into. There isn't a damn thing to shun in bands like Between the Buried and Me, Converge, Premonitions of War, Lamb of God, Unearth, or The Red Chord. Hell Malevolent Creation went on tour with Between the Buried and Me and Dead to Fall. Malevolent Creation didn't seem to think these "metalcore" bands sucked way too fucking bad to tour with them. And I'm certain they gained a number of fans on that tour. All of those bands listed above are METAL. So what if they have a breakdown here and there or something God forbid, CATCHY?? Since they don't place themselves in the category death or black...or power metal faggotry, they're automatically "metalcore shit that is going to take the place of nu-metal?" Give me a fucking break. Nu-metal will always be around. Mtv will never stop playing Disturbed, Trapt, Motograter, Korn or any of that bullshit which will always be NU-METAL...because it still sells. Albeit not nearly as much in the past..because decent bands are finally getting played and people are seeing the difference in something that is good and something that is just a bunch of teen angst bullshit. Don't be surprised if some of your favorite death or thrash metal bands are seen on Headbanger's Ball in the future. Real metal is back on the uprise. It's just beginning with the popularity of some metalcore bands. Even Suffocation got coverage on Mtv2..does that mean that old school death is gonna become the new nu-metal? I don't think so...Soilent Green was reviewed in Rolling Stone..but has sludged out Grindcore become the "in" thing? Not at all..Face the facts...real metal is getting good exposure and some of your favorite bands just might be able to live off of what they do..that's not a crime.
What gets me is everyone is acting like I have something against Metalcore. I don't, and if the style is used effectively by good musicians, then it can be as good as any other form of metal. As far as I can see though, alot of talentless kids are cashing in on the success by branding themselves Metalcore.

As for Metal coming into the mainstream... that I don't have a problem with either. Sure, we'll get an influx of watered down crap, but if proper metal becomes more popular, that can only be a good thing, it means the message is finally starting to get through.

However, I still stand by my statement that Metalcore is the "new nu-metal", quite simply because it is. I'm not comparing the genres and saying that they are in any way similar. God only knows, when pulled off right, Metalcore owns Nu-Metal, but thats still not to say that a vast majority of Metalcore bands are in it for the money, because they can see a sudden trend in popular Metalcore bands, and they think that'll be the way to go to get success. Its exactly the same thing that happened after Korn released their debut album, shitloads of talentless kids picking up guitars and calling themselves Nu-Metal.

So yeah, in conclusion, 90% of Metalcore is talentless crap.

High On Maiden said:
Right. I think I'm getting a bit confused because unless I'm mistaken hardcore is a branch of punk?? Not to mention a type of dance music!
Hardcore... i'm not to sure myself, but as far as I can tell, its a more aggresive branch of punk, with harsher vocals.

And yes, there's also a type of dance music called hardcore, though i'm not sure if that refers to any other culture than our apparently retarded UK one. Anyone who calls that shite hardcore has a brain defect.

So lamb of god is metalcore now...a few days ago some guy posted its a nu-metal band, another posted its death metal...basically what im trying to get at here is...GENRES DONT MEAN SHIT, IT SEEMS GENRE'S ARE CREATED BY PEOPLE WHO THINK WHAT IS WHAT AND IS NOT ENFORCED BY THE COMMUNITY. Good example of this? Symphony X said something to the extent like they are one of the best "movie metal" bands around. WTF IS MOVIE METAL?!

Basically what im getting at is...genre's = waste of words.

I think genres really are just a guide to help you figure out what a band might sound like, but in every genre there are bands that sound completely different. There is absolutley no way Lamb of God is Nu-metal. I think they fit better in Metalcore because they use alot of thrash and heavy metal infuences like Pantera and also use a heavy dose of hardcore breakdowns. The vocals are not brutal enough to be considered death metal. But all these new genre names like mathcore and movie metal are a waste of time.

Tanith said:
However, I still stand by my statement that Metalcore is the "new nu-metal", quite simply because it is. I'm not comparing the genres and saying that they are in any way similar. God only knows, when pulled off right, Metalcore owns Nu-Metal, but thats still not to say that a vast majority of Metalcore bands are in it for the money, because they can see a sudden trend in popular Metalcore bands, and they think that'll be the way to go to get success. Its exactly the same thing that happened after Korn released their debut album, shitloads of talentless kids picking up guitars and calling themselves Nu-Metal.
You're acting like this is the first time this has happened. Sure, lots of clone bands started popping up after Korn released their debut. Just like lots of death metal clones infected the scene in the late 80's and early 90's. Just like numerous tedious Scandinavian black metal bands emerged when Mayhem and Darkthrone started to gain their popularity within the metal scene. Just like countless boring melo-death clones are still popping up everywhere to try to cash in on the success of the originators. It's really nothing new.

As for the "new nu-metal", I'd say it's melo-death.

So yeah, in conclusion, 90% of Metalcore is talentless crap.
That statement can be used for any genre, type, or brand of music ever.

I think most metalcore (it sounds kind of gay) bands suck but not All Out War. They are the only ones I know of that actually mixes the BEST parts of hardcore and metal and makes it sound good. Check up their cd "Condemned To Suffer"

Krigloch the Furious said:
I just wanna add that I hate the shit. just hardcore kids trying to be metal and failing. and emo.........whew that is a whole different ballgame. that shit is fucking terrible.

Why would anyone ever want to be metal, nevermind try?

Demiurge said:
I see you're still a belligerent, intellectually insecure dumbfuck. Somehow, I'm not surprised.
This coming from the individual with a swastika as an avatar. It just screams good taste and open-mindedness, don'tcha know :rolleyes:

Seeings how I am superior to you on every level, we shall close the topic at this point.

LuminousAether said:
Sorry, nimrod, but "kike" is the correct spelling, and single quotes are used for single letters, double quotes for more than one. Genius.
Hmm, according to Webster's... you (and the nazi) are right. Damn. And I know that I'm not using quotes correctly, but thanks for pointing it out. Damn, out-brained by a nazi and a grammar pedant in one thread, what'll I do?