When the oceans rise - General Chat Thread

C'mon, Vintersorg is awesome! Garm and Simen quited the band so many years ago and I can't think on somebody else to replace it.

The only guy who could do that is Lars if he sings like on Solefald or Asmegin.

(Sindre it's ok with that Falkenbach rip-off called Myrkgrav, but he's nothing compared with Andreas)

^Origin owned!

And might I also just say, out of respect for the band, can some of us not talk about who they would like to see replace Mr. V... the band has not said they are even interested in changing the line-up so why even say these things? Having an opinion is 100000% fine, but I don't think it's right to express such opinions on the band's own message board.

Fact is, Vintersorg has been part of the band for years now, and he has helped make them what they are today. If you ask me, eventhough I like Simen's voice more, Andreas' voice suites this band a lot more, and some of their best work was done with him, so let's just slow down here for a minute.

Well, I don't know anyone who would fit better with the band than Vintersorg, and I do really love Empiricism and Epic. Especially the first one. I just think he's pushing his voice too much, and making Borknagar sound like the band Vintersorg to too large a degree. I miss the aggression. I would like it for him to stick to more of the mid-range vocals, rather than pushing it higher for each record. Cause honestly, I don't care much for his high vocals.
And you are right, Heartless_Name. It does seem kinda respectless to be talking like this on the bands own forums. If anyone took offense, I apologise. I was just saying what I was thinking.

And IMHO, Origin was terrible. I really tried to love it, but for the reasons I mentioned above, I couldn't. It's just too... Light?

Afraid not. When a band doesn't deliver the same quality they used to I'm going to bitch about it. I've already told Vintersorg many times he's still one of my favorite singers and I love his band. If he gets offended at my criticism maybe he'll give a better performance or go back to his old vocal style which 75% of us are begging for.

As far as disrespecting Borknagar, hey, I bought all of their albums, I've promoted them to no end. I have the right to complain if I want to. Not to say they should or will listen to me.

Rivfadír;7136062 said:
And you are right, Heartless_Name. It does seem kinda respectless to be talking like this on the bands own forums. If anyone took offense, I apologise. I was just saying what I was thinking.

It's ok, I mean I didn't say anything at first but then the convo sort of snowballed over a few days and I just think that the discussion, while totally ok, would be better suited on a different forum, GMD perhaps.

And IMHO, Origin was terrible. I really tried to love it, but for the reasons I mentioned above, I couldn't. It's just too... Light?
I felt the same for a while, then I really sat down and listened and I love it, all the tracks are just amazing to me.

GMD is ruthless.

For now I'll reserve my criticisms until after I've heard the new album. Oystein says he'll be bringing back the aggression of olden times, and if Vintersorg cannot match that, well then we have a problem.

GMD is ruthless.

For now I'll reserve my criticisms until after I've heard the new album. Oystein says he'll be bringing back the aggression of olden times, and if Vintersorg cannot match that, well then we have a problem.

*You have a problem :loco:

I for one don't have any problem whatsoever with his vocals or with the direction they're taking the band. And I guess the band doesn't seem to mind where they're headed either. I trust in them and I am expecting a fantastic album. If you guys don't like it, it's unfortunate but hopefully you'll come around.

Band has to keep trying new things. Consistency is so overrated in music. When I was in high school and part of college, Dark Tranquility was like my FAVORITE band. The Gallery has to be one of my favorite albums ever...

But what happened? They got experimental, released Projector, frothing fans went apeshit, and after doing it a little more (to much success) on Haven, they've released THREE albums that sound exactly the same, and sound exactly like what their bread and butter fans wanted. It's so fucking gross. There's nothing worse than a talented band rehashing a shadow of their older sound over and over. And a lot of fans eat that shit up. You'll hear DT fans say WAOW FICTION WUZ PERFECT! in order to justify the same album being released for the third time.

DT is just an example... a great band will take risks to piss its fans off in order to keep their music fresh and new ideas coming. Metalheads are always overly concerned with bands selling out, when the real threat to good music is stagnation.

And this isn't a dig at those who didn't like Origin (ahehe), I think it's normal to dislike x or y album. I'm just saying, even if you didn't like Origin, it's great for the band that they did it. From it they learned something, and when they release an album more to the liking of their more black metal-inclined fans it will be all the better for it.

I'm not taking a super optimistic approach, don't get me wrong. It's one thing if a band releases a shitty album, then it's debatable whether or not it contributes anything to the band's evolution. But say, and this again is just an example, Origin is marvelously produced and much thought went into it. So you live, you learn. Their next album will kick total ass, that's all I know. Origin will have a part in that, you'll see (hear?)!

The songs on Empricism and Epic were mostly interchangeable.

As I said before, I'm expecting a change from Borknagar. The chance that the new album dislikes me are near to 0%, but I want some reinvention. Again I say, Emp y Epic are too closer from each other and even when I love both albums, I don't wanna hear an Emp pt III.

P.S. I remember you said his singing was better than Mr. V and Lazare together, to which I must respond:

gerald2gg4.png

My platonic Internet love for you has gone up about 1000%. There is nothing that cannot be said by lolcats.

And, I like Origin - a lot. I usually listen to metal. However, my roommate also likes Origin - a lot. She usually listens to Evangelical Christian 'inspirational' music and Celtic Women. But, she can't get enough of Origin, especially Mr. V's voice. I...have not introduced her to the rest of the Borknagar catalogue. :p

^I hope she can tolerate the harsh vocals. :p
Listening to Borknagar has temporarily taken my mind off of recent sorrowful events in my life.