Which Region/Country make the best Death Metal?

Which Region/Country make the best Death Metal?

• USA

Votes: 19 31.1%
  • Canada

Votes: 3 4.9%
  • South America

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • UK

• Sweden

Votes: 16 26.2%
  • Finland

• Norway

• Germany

Votes: 4 6.6%
  • Poland

Votes: 4 6.6%
  • Russia

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Asia

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Africa

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Australia

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters
for that matter, the crown are finnish. The way I see it, the USA demands respect simply for being the birth place of the scene, but the only dm band from here that seems to truly innovate is immolation. Really though, they and gorguts seem to be the only bands truly pushing the musical, not technical boundaries of dm these days...

Neslepaks said:
The Haunted, In Flames, Therion, Arch Enemy, Opeth and Dark Tranquility aren't death metal.
Here is a quote from the A-Z of Death Metal "Therion started their life as a typical run of the mill Death Metal band"
Opeth are regarded as Death Metal in many books and on many sites.
In Flames have made some Death Metal albums.

None_So_Vile said:
napalm death are english, cunt (that was for an old post)
I don't know who you are talking to. But yes, they were originally an English band and were formed in Birmingham. But Mitch Harris, Jesse Pintado, and Danny Hererra are all American. So the band is over 1/2 American now.

I agree that Sweden has far more death metal bands, but that says nothing for quality. As far as innovation or originality is concerned, i'd say Sweden's been pretty stale for a while; half the bands you listed are practically copying eachother or writing the same album over and over again.

Life Sucks said:
Sweden has more death metal bands, both newer and older, than any other county. Insision, Spawn Of Possession, Vomitory, At The Gates, The Haunted, The Crown, Amon Amarth, In Flames, Dissection, Carnage, Dismember, Therion, Desultory, Merciless, Entombed, Afflicted, Edge Of Sanity, Necrophobic, Unanimated, Unleashed, Arch Enemy, Hypocrisy, Opeth, Bloodbath, Dark Tranquility, Forsaken, Messugah, Regirgitate, Cemetary, Nasum, Defleshed....
I could go on and on.
How did you forget Soilwork?

I'm going with the USA on this one. While I do enjoy a good bit of Swedish death metal, there just isn't anything that compares to the likes of Nile, Death, and Morbid Angel. Include the fact that Vital Remains have just released, in my opinion, the best death metal album ever made and I don't think any other country is even close.

It was a toss up between USA and Canada for me.

In Canada we have Gorguts, Cryptopsy, Kataklysm, Martyr, Blastfame, Rotting, Solus, Lapidate, etc...with Gorguts being my favourite death metal bands, and America, well you all know the American bands.

I must say that Sweden should NOT! have that many votes though.

Profånity said:
All the sites which review their albums all think they're Death. I and most others here think they're Death, so i'm afraid they are Death.

They wrote melodic death up to A Predator's Portrait. As much as I like them, Natural Born Chaos and Figure Number Five are in no way death.

Soilwork are melodic metal indeed.

Profånity said:
That's not what The Metal Observer says:

http://www.metal-observer.com/gb/revs.html
For the Soilwork albums here is what it said:
Soilwork (S)
1998 - Steelbath Suicide > 10/10 - Dittohead - (Death Metal)
1999 - The Chainheart Machine > 9/10 - Wes - (Death Metal)
2001 - A Predator's Portrait > 9,5/10 - Alex - (Death Metal)
2002 - Natural Born Chaos > 9/10 - Alex - (Death Metal)
2003 - Figure Number Five > 9/10 - Wes - (Death Metal)