Which Region/Country make the best Death Metal?

Which Region/Country make the best Death Metal?

• USA

Votes: 19 31.1%
  • Canada

Votes: 3 4.9%
  • South America

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • UK

• Sweden

Votes: 16 26.2%
  • Finland

• Norway

• Germany

Votes: 4 6.6%
  • Poland

Votes: 4 6.6%
  • Russia

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Asia

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Africa

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Australia

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters
Yeah, melodic death metal is melodic metal generically, but for purposes of distinction, Soilwork are definately 'just' melodic metal. I don't really care what a review site says, especially Metal Observer...Soilwork's music has near enough no affiliation with death metal since NBC. ffs, SLIPKNOT is heavier, musically, lyrically, thematically....and they ain't death are they?

Profånity said:
So because of a few good bands it should be in the same league as Sweden, Poland and Germany?

Sweden is overrun with this "Melodic Death Metal" shit and a lot of the time it sucks ass. That's not to say there isn't good death metal bands in Sweden though, there is... bands like Insision.
In Poland, they spend a lot of time ripping each other off... sorry, ripping Vader off. There are good bands in Poland, but many sound similar.
Germany has good bands, like Necrophagist and Sinners Bleed for example, but not THAT many. Not enough to put them on top of the world.

Canada has more than a few good bands. USA also has more than a few good bands. Even South America has quite a few good bands.

:tickled:
It is hard for me to make a decision between Sweden, USA, and Canada. Canada has some of the best Death Metal out at the moment, and USA is right up there with Canada, but Sweden does create a shitload of great Death Metal. It may be a bit more on the melodic side than the "Good Ol' Fasion BrOOtIL" shit, but still great within the genre.

I will not simply pick one region over the other! It is difficult!

:yell:

Sweden. For the old school stuff. Aprt from The Necrophagist - no german band could hold a candle to:

Grave, Unleashed, Grotesque, Merciless, Entombed (1st two albums), Dismember etc

Yeah I've heard Fleshcrawl, Profanity and Atrocity although the joys of Maledictive Pigs and Seirim seem to have passed me by. Are you honestly suggesting that Soulskinner or Hallucinations are better than Left Hand Path or Like an Everflowing stream? Remembering of course that Entombed used to be called Nihilist so are truly death metal.

Right actually. From www.entombed.com:

Entombed's forerunner, Nihilist, was formed in 1987. In the Nihilist years, 1987-1989, Nicke (drums) and Alex (guitar) were the only constant members. On the first demo, Premature Autopsy (1988), L.G was a session singer. After that demo Matthias Boström was the constant singer. Well, not excactly constant, since he left the band in a VERY short time. After that L.G was the constant singer. Then they released their second demo, Only Shreds Remain. About one year later, 1989, they released their third demo, Drowned. Leffe was a constant member until 1989, he played guitar on the first demo and the bass on the second. Then he left to the Canada to study, and he still lives there. Johnny Hedlund (Unleashed) replaced him on the third demo. Uffe played session guitar on the first demo and guitar on the last one.

Johnny was only on one demo. The Entombed then re-recorded several Nihilist songs for "Left Hand Path" (I still prefer the Nihilist version of "Revel in Flesh").

Regardless of all this... If you rate second rate german death metal bands over classic bands like Entombed and Dismember then you have very very poor taste.

Well Entombed have long since ceased to be death metal....who gives a crap what they used to be called? What does that have to do with anything? I for one do rate some of those 'second rate' german bands higher than early Entombed; I don't deny the importance of Left Hand Path and Clandestine, but that doesn't mean the music they contain is automatically better than modern metal attempts...because it's not.