Which year did you start listening to Peth?

Which year did you start listening to Opeth?

• Pre-1994

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 2 0.9%

Votes: 3 1.3%

Votes: 5 2.2%

Votes: 4 1.8%

Votes: 4 1.8%

Votes: 16 7.0%

Votes: 13 5.7%

Votes: 26 11.4%

Votes: 23 10.1%

Votes: 22 9.6%

Votes: 21 9.2%

Votes: 38 16.7%

Votes: 23 10.1%

Votes: 20 8.8%

Votes: 8 3.5%

• Total voters
Either 2001 or 2002. BWP - blew my fucking mind. They totally ruined my adolescent appreciation for Pantera and Slayer though. Probably a good thing.

I still miss Dime though.

'01, Blackwater Park really got my attention, me being a freshmen in high school at the time, I was a little young to appreciate them sooner, plus that was their first album to get semi-decent US distribution.

First heard da' Peth in '06. Friend gave me BWP, first Death Metal band I ever appreciated. As I type I'm enjoying Nattens Madrigal... come aloooong way from '06 :cool:

I just started listening to Opeth last autumn. I had heard some of their stuff before, but as one who was never too keen on growls, I couldn't get past the vocals. An internet friend had even made me a mix CD of a few Opeth songs a couple years ago, but I just couldn't quite get into them.

Now, which album did it for me? Surprisingly, it was Ayreon's "The Human Equation," which I bought late last summer. I liked Mikael's vocals on it, even the growl or two on it seemed to fit well, so I began to get a feel for some growling. Then I pulled out that Opeth mix CD again, and this time around it began to sink in for me. So, I ordered "Ghost Reveries" (special edition), "Deliverance" and "Damnation" from BMG Music Club, then I ordered "Blackwater Park" (special edition) from Amazon, and I was hooked. I later picked up used copies of "Still Life," "My Arms, Your Hearse" and "Orchid," and then a new but extremely dirt-cheap copy of "The Roundhouse Tapes" from an Amazon Marketplace vendor. Then I preordered both the "Still Life" reissue and "Watershed" (special edition) from Amazon when they were coming out.

I still need to get "Morningrise" and the DVD, but I plan to have those fairly soon.

At any rate, I now like most of their stuff, but I must say that this new "Watershed" is extremely tasty. As a whole, it's probably my favorite album of theirs. Very good stuff!

Started to listen in 2002, to BWP and MAYH.
When deliverance hit the shelfs (not long therafter) I remember being prepared to get dissapointed, but the opposite happened, I was blown away. Since then I havent found any reason to doubt this band.

I saw the video for Windowpane on Uranium.
I went out and bought the cd and was completely blown away, but I was expecting some metal on the disc also.
So then I bought Deliverance and was officially hooked.

hah, I remember some guy on youtube that had commented on the lamentations "In my time of need"

-I thought opeth was Metal?

EDIT (read: he edited his post): oh nvm, I just heard master's apprentices

Must have been quite a shock :heh:

Anyway 2002 for me, Heard deliverance song and right after that I got MAYH from my brother.

Funny though, I didn't listen very intensively to opeth back then, I was very young and mostly into melodic death like old in flames and children of badoom and shortly after; black metal.

I think it took me at least 2 years to fully realize what a brilliant band it was, when I actually bought the deliverance album.

it took me 2 minutes to realize how brilliant opeth is

This was definitely not the case for me. I found out about them in a magazine advertisement that referred to them as "the heaviest band ever" or something similarly hyperbolic. I thought I'd better check them out. So, I went down to the local cd shop and bought Blackwater Park. Upon putting it into my CD player, I was immediately turned off by the growling vocals. I tried listening to it a few times, but it eventually ended up on the shelf for a few weeks.

Eventually, I gave it a second chance. The mix of death metal with acoustic was too intriguing to ignore and I just kept listening. In August of 2003, I went on a 2 week camping trip with my wife and daughter, bringing with me a few CDs. I listened to Blackwater park for pretty much the entire vacation.
The rest is history.

2005. I just freshly registered to Last.fm, so i thought i'd check out it's radio feature. I put in the "death metal" tag, and after all those generic death metal song Godhead's Lament came. Was a bit weird at first with all those passages and aaaahs and acoustics. Then a few days later the melody of "Thought I could not leave this place on this imminent day..." just popped into my head. after a while i realised it was Opeth, got Still Life, and fell in love instantly with the band. it was 3 years ago but the feelings i get from that album are still unchanged.
thank you Opeth!!