who are your fave non-rock/metal bands?

My two cents...

I know and have known so many people that exclusively listen to metal (or particular styles) and won't accept anyone not going their way, if you know what I mean. Not even being open enough to - at least - check out what others listen to (not even their friends' styles), regardless whether they like what they have heard afterwards. It's just not their style, so they even refuse to listen.

For me it's okay that others have a different taste, but sometimes even though one listens and likes their style too, one is not being accepted simply because they're open-minded and listen/like other stuff too.

Still, there's so much bashing/excluding people... MUSIC FANS ... just because they have a wide and open-minded musical taste.
After all it's only MUSIC, right?
We like what we like, we live our MUSIC the way we want. But that does not mean that it must be exclusively Metal or any other style and nothing else.

MUSIC has always been known to be one of the best communication styles, especially because there are so many different ones, and it is good that we don't have the same musical preferences as far as bands and styles go that would be pretty boring - that's what keeps the communication going.

I love Prog Metal, Heavy Metal, Metal, AOR, Alternative, Glam, Jazz, Fusion, Funk... even some Pop songs (yes!), but it's just labels we give MUSIC. It's just MUSIC, and MUSIC is what we like and live, regardless the style.

We should all stick together and be more open-minded, not bashing someone because he/she likes different stuff that doesn't fit their personal tastes.

We need something that keeps us going, keeps us from bad moods, keeps us happy, makes life worth living for: MUSIC...

John Miles - Music

Music was my first love
And it'll be my last
Music of the future
And music for the past.
To live without my music
Would be impossible to do
In this world of troubles
my music pulls me through

Originally posted by Lady Of The Snow
there's so much bashing/excluding people... MUSIC FANS ... just because they have a wide and open-minded musical taste.
After all it's only MUSIC, right?

Perhaps its just me, but I have never found any prejudice because I listen to more than a chosen genre of music... Sometimes because I listen to a paticular type, yes, but never for listeing to many styles.

MUSIC has always been known to be one of the best communication styles, especially because there are so many different ones, and it is good that we don't have the same musical preferences as far as bands and styles go that would be pretty boring - that's what keeps the communication going. ...

It depends what you're communicating IMO. Emotion, ues other things.. not so much :)

It's just MUSIC, and MUSIC is what we like and live, regardless the style.

We should all stick together and be more open-minded, not bashing someone because he/she likes different stuff that doesn't fit their personal tastes.

We need something that keeps us going, keeps us from bad moods, keeps us happy, makes life worth living for: MUSIC...

John Miles - Music

Music was my first love
And it'll be my last
Music of the future
And music for the past.
To live without my music
Would be impossible to do
In this world of troubles
my music pulls me through

trOO :D

Simon and Garfunkel, The Alan Parsons Project, Steely Dan (I guess they're borderline rock..), Classical Stuff, Yanni, Techno Stuff, J-Pop, NIN...I guess that's it.

Godspeed You Black Emperor!
Sigur Ros
Porcupine Tree
Ozric Tentacles
Änglagård
Anekdoten
Sinkadus
Amon Düül II
Camel
Pink Floyd
Tori Amos
Nick Drake
Jeff Buckley
The Pixies
Frank Zappa
Ween
etc. etc.

Zepplin, Heart, Doors, Rush, Frank Zappa, Kid Rock,Deep Purple...the list goes on and on and on

Originally posted by LordHypnos
Porcupine Tree
Renaissance
dude! Renaissance is almost completely forgotten except by the two of us!
and you are the first American I've ever "met" who even knows Porcupine Tree exists. I'm hoping their new distribution deal for their upcoming cd brings them greater success.
I just bought their 2 CD Delerium Records compilation, Stars Die. good stuff...

also:
Tea Party (the fact that these guys aren't more well known outside of Canada is a crime.)