Who do you think is the Most Skilled Drummer???

Dennis Chambers without a doubt!!!! As I've said before I saw him live with Mike Stern and it was the best drumming I've heard my entire life!!! He simply blew me away and I remember I sat several times with the biggest smile on my face or my mouth hanging down on my stomach!
Besides him, I would say Hellhammer. His work on Thorns "S/T" album is bad-ass shit! Especially on "Interface to god". Insanely fast bass-drumming. He also has a fill-in on Mayhem's "A time to die" which I still haven't got a clue to how he does. He also does it on "Live in Marseille 2000" and it's still amazing!
I will also mention Trym for his work on Emperor's "The source of icon E" and other stuff. Also Frost from Satyricon. I think his drumming on "The scorn torrent" speaks for itself!
Those three black metal drummers is basically just blastbeating (although at outrageous speeds), although Hellhammer also does other stuff. A guy like Steve Gadd is also pretty cool and so is Gerry Brown in my opinion.
There's one more I'd like to mention: Dennis Chambers :D

I didn't read many replies before I submitted mine, so now I'll take my time commenting on some of others mentioned. I might add that although I really haven't played drums in 4 years or something I had played for 6 years when I stopped.
Lars Ulrich: I'm ashamed that such a crappy Danish drummer could be considered to be one of the worlds best (and he was even named the worlds best once if I'm not mistaken)!! I think the only difference between his drumming on "Kill 'em all" and "Metallica" (black album) is that the speed is doubled on "Kill...". Sure, he made stuff like "One", but hey, I think that was the first rhythm I learned when I bought my double-pedal! Then there's "Dyers eve", but I could play that as well without any major problems, and who haven't heard that rhythm in thousands of metalsongs. What else is there? Bum chak, bum chak. Great!
I also downloaded a 10-minute drum-solo and it pretty much sucks! There's some fill-ins that are okay, but when he tries to play the rhythm from "One" it sounds like he hasn't played it for 10 years and now his legs are starting to crumble into dust, so now he can't keep up the pace.
Neil Peart: I downloaded around 10 mp3 drumsoloes and a couple of videoes. They all sounded exactly the same. Some of it was okay, but didn't make me say "wow", just "Hmfrp, that was probably okay".
Dave Lombardo: The most recent stuff I've heard by him was "Seasons in the abyss", so I hope he has improved in the 13 years since then. I remember a lot of his drumming being Lars Ulrich crap-style (too) simple drumming. I remember the first couple of times I heard "Divine intervention" I though "Goddamn that Paul Bostaph kicks Dave Lombardo's ass. Good thing they switched drummers".
Nicko McBrain was one of the first drummers I really noticed, alongside Clive Burr, most likely becuase when I started getting into music around 1990-91 Maiden & GN'R quickly became my favorite bands. Nicko also quickly became one of my favorite drummers. When I look at him today, he's nothing out of the ordinare IMO. He may be tight and all that and I haven't heard him play anything I couldn't play myself or wouldn't have thought of myself. Maybe I wouldn't have thought of the intro to "Where eagles dare", hard to say, but I have no problems playing it. I also downloaded a drum solo by him and he fucks it up a bit. He's trying to do some tom-fills and it gets all muddy as his strokes doesn't fall on the correct place (time-wise).
Gene Hoglan's work on Death's "Symbolic" is bad-ass shit!! His drumming on Dark Angel's "Darkness descends" wasn't anything special IMO, but that was also 9 years earlier.
Mike Portney is also pretty cool. I only have "Images & words", but he's pretty good on that. Maybe I would be able to play it myself, but it would probably take a while to learn it due to all the crazy timing.
I haven't heard anything from Nick Menza since Megadeth's "Risk" (if he was on that). He's alright, but not a guy I would put among the best drummers in the world though.
I have "Disconnected" by Fates Warning. I haven't listened much to it, but I remember some cool drum fills in the first song after the intro. I also have an LP from '88, but it sucked very much and I don't recall any good drumming on it either.
Igor Cavalera: Alright drummer. I don't think I've heard him play something that I couldn't (learn to) play, but also sometimes what impress you about a drummer is not something you couldn't necessarily play yourself, but something you would never had thought of yourself.
I guess I'll stop now, as that was a lot of bitching.

^^ not really. Paul wrote some unbelievable stuff on Divine Intervention. Dave is great but he's juststraight out and out thrash drummer.

These are all some of the best drummers outthere without any clue of doubt:

Tony Laureano (Nile)
- Need I say anything else???

Jesper Frost (Iniquity)
- A band unknown to most people, but I promise you, that they are among the very best brutal deathmetallers ever! Technical as nothing else you've ever heard, brutal and simply crushing cool... Deepest respect to my fellow Danes...

Tim Y(o?)ung (Aurora Borealis, ex- Hate Eternal)
- Damn, never had I expected this from an "unknown" drummer. Tim is simply the fastest monster I have ever heard and his technic is unique.. Check the new Aurora Borealis!! NOW!

Janne ??? (The Crown)
- Mentioned several times in this theme, and with good reason. His style is eminent and creative.

Horgh (Immortal)
- Always has, and will always be one of the best blackmetal drummers. Fast, merciless and technical!

Nicholas Barker (Dimmu Borgir, Old Man's Child, ex- Cradle Of Filth)
- No further introduction needed!

Cheers!

UNDEROATH777 said:
Which Band is he from?
He's mainly the drummer of Darkane, but he also drums in Time Requiem (his work here is not as impressive IMO), the seven deadly sins project and Electrocution 250 (a fusion project still waiting to be released)

oh and also check out Bobby Jarzombek from Spastic Ink.

Board said:
Dennis Chambers without a doubt!!!! As I've said before I saw him live with Mike Stern and it was the best drumming I've heard my entire life!!! He simply blew me away and I remember I sat several times with the biggest smile on my face or my mouth hanging down on my stomach!

Yes. He's unbelievable. I saw him doing some ridiculous double bass work while working polyrhythms on the toms and then somehow he added in some hihat splashes with his left foot! Which by rights should be impossible.

Other drummers who blow away every single metal drummer there is:

Virgil Donati - makes Pete Sandoval sound like Phil Rudd
Vinnie Colauita - sight read Frank Zappas "The Black Page"
Marco Minneman
Thomas Lang
Grant Collins - the guy sounds like five different players playing at once.
Dave Weckl

The major point is that beside speed these guys show groove, independence and dynamics. Some things that tend to be lacking in metal drummers.

Only Flo Mournier is in the same league.

Jondur said:
Yes. He's unbelievable. I saw him doing some ridiculous double bass work while working polyrhythms on the toms and then somehow he added in some hihat splashes with his left foot! Which by rights should be impossible.
I saw a video where he did something like that, but the double bass stuff didn't sound superfast, so I thought he might be using only a single bass drum pedal and then just play super, super fast! o_O

Hellhammer
Gene Hoglan
Asgeir from Borknagar

those three guys have proven they can play blast-stuff perfectly, but can drum to slow & emotional stuff fuckingly fantastic as well...but in either case they sound better than almost every other drummer I know...

In terms of metal, I am consitently impressed with:
Hoglan- notice the superb time and technical ability on his death albums, also probably the first guy to popularize that two ride technique, which I love.
Derik Roddy-Just insanely good feet, and superb feel, both on the new hate eternal and on black seeds of vengeance.
Flo-For everything thats been said ad naeuseum- just a true coupling stylistically of the best elements of clinicians and metal drumming.
In terms of the overall drumming world
Steve Gadd-for a consistently brilliant career, both musical and technically astounding.
Neil Peart- although his work in the past decade or so has not been up to par, I have to put his name on this list if for no other reason then for the time I spent many a year ago learning that little solo section from Tom Sawyer note for note, you guys know the one.
John Bonham-not known for being a technical monster, but c'mon the man invented that one footed sixteenth note triplet phrase, heard so prominently on good times bad times, when he was my age (19)