Who has the best growl in ALL of metal.

Originally posted by Ectoplasma
Dani Filth growls are completely unique

Well, they were until Jon from Hecate Enthroned imitated it. Actually does a good job, and the only reason I appreciate it is because he does it a lot more than Dani does (at least he does in "Upon Promeathean Shores"; it's the only one I've got by these guys... not original, but not bad at all).

My favourites are:

Mikael Akerfeldt (opeth)
Dan Swanö (if you dont know him, stop listening to metal)
-I see Mikael, and Dan as the two most diverse vocalists in metal, but I think Mikael is just a TAD better than Swanö

Satyr (satyricon)
Johan Hegg (amon amarth)
Jeff Walker (carcass)
Jon Nodtveidt (dissection)

Phil Anselmo pre Vulga Display of Power...or is that a whine?

honestly though...IMO, Akerfeldt for pure emotion...the dude from Morbid Angel (Domination and previous), especially like the snotty throat gargle of 'Where the Slime Live'. And of course, Mike Patton.

I love Nile so far as on a cd growling goes, but in person, nobody I have heard has come close to the level the lead singer of Throcult has reached. He can go so high, and so low, and he has so much volume. However, on cd, he pretty much sounds like most regular death metal singers. Of everyone I have heard, Dani Filth has the most range.

Actually Phil Anselmo has a great voice... both pre and post Vulgar Display of Power :). Pantera's album with the best vocals is IMO The Great Southern Trendkill...
Growls? The guy from Nile is pretty good but no one beats Mikael in sheer emotion IMO... at least I haven't heard it yet...

PS- Yes the guy from Cynic is awesome :)

Lord Worm's, the ex Cryptopsy vocalalist, growls in None So Vile are unbelievable, the mixture between piercing screams and low growls is amazing

Mr Akerfeldt, due to the fact that he is somehow able to make growling sound emotional :)

Nergal from Behemoth is one hell of a growler also

And the guy Nile have at the moment (what's his name again) is great (and a surprisingly decent bassist too)

Daemon (limbonic Art) is a great growler, especially on Zyklon's World ov Worms album

Atilla (ex-Mayhem, Aborym). Unique and very strange sounding at times

Those are the growlers who immediately come to mind.

Pasi Koskinen from Ajattara is my current favourite (he's known better as the vocalist of Amorphis). His voice is monstrous, sounds like his throat is full of glass fiber. Extremely hateful, without sounding forced. Very clearly articulated also.

hmm i still like Mikael Akerfieldt's growl the most of anyone... but other notables (not "growls" totally, some of them, some more shreiks or yells haha)

Guy from Meshuggah
Mikael Stanne
Lord Worm
guy from Godgory (UNDERRATED!!! i LOVE his growl!)
"speed" strid
Varg
Dan Swano

Aaron Stainthorpe (My Dying Bride) on the first 2 EPs and the debut, 'As The Flower Withers'). Best growls I have ever heard, totally crushing, just has a certain quality to it that I've never heard from anyone else.

Also cool:
Mike
Dan Swano
Glen Benton

JAMES LEE FROM ORIGIN

he has such power and variety in his growls, they sound awsome,

also because i have a very strange obsession with origin lately.

:OMG:

I dont believe.I REALLY DONT FUCKING BELIEVE IT.
Three pages of shit like Dani Filth and Glen Benton yet NO-ONE mentioned Ross Dolan,the (By a long shot) greatest death metal vocalist around today and probably of all time.
I should probably stop coming here.

Mike Akerfeldt, is by far, my favorite. Great range. Deep ass burps to some throat gargling screeches :eek:

David Vincent from Morbid Angel is also up there. I just love his growl. Evil, but understandable. Plus, he has a bad ass name... David Vincent... you know you like it.