Who is the best singer in metal?

Alexander TG

The literate drummer
Mar 23, 2003
E. London
Visit site
Bon Jovi of course.

Hilarious sarcasm aside I think the metal genre hosts some of the best unknown singers in the universe, and I just keep discovering more as I delve deeper into the section known as uncool in record stores.

Being captain obvious Russell Allen must be right up there, the phenomenal singer in Lost Horizon 'Ethereal Maganimus' they call him also.

Bruce Dickinson
James Hetfield
D.C Cooper
Keith Sudano-If you don't known him your just a prog metal poser
Jorn Lande
Roy Kahn

I think Russell takes it personally all hail Symphony X.

D.C. Cooper (although I find his solo album boring as shit)
Jorn Lande
and that Russell Allen guy. :D
Edit: I should probably also add David Readman too.

Hansi Kürsch (Blind Guardian)
Russell Allen
Eric Adams (Manowar)
Peavy Wagner (Rage, while not technically gifted, his voice is just too unique!)
John Arch (former Fates Warning)
D.C. Cooper (former Royal Hunt)
Zak Stevens (former Savatage)

Fred Durst. He makes Metal ROCK!

Seroisuly though. How can you truly quantify and qualify someone as "best". Perhaps the topic should have been who are some of your most favorite singers in metal. Seems much more approriate if you ask me.

Glenn

Where the hell is Barlow??? Wtf my friends, wtf.

In all seriousness, i'd have to say my top 3 are Barlow, Warrel Dane of Nevermore, and Vintersorg, though that's just my mood right now. I think Russ and Khan are awesome and deffinately worth attention. As for non power metal like singers, i'd go with Shagrath of Dimmu Borgir, and Alexi from CoB. Ohter noteworthy names: David Defis (virgin steele), Tarja (nightwish), Sharon (Within Temptation), Kai (gamma ray), Kotipelto (stratovarius and kotipelto), King Diamond, Floor Jansen (after forever) and Tony Kakko (sonata arctica). I know there's more, but that's my list. Oh, and the dude from winterfell... can't remember his name offhand, but he kicks ass.

James La.........AAAH i'm not even going to finish that name.

Anyway right now my top favorites are

of course Russell Allen (just has so much range and can sing in prob just about any style)

Daniel Gildenlow (although the vid I saw on the PPUSA site of them performing at one of them he didn't sound so great?)

David Readman (until Underworld came out I would not have listed him but he has shown he can go deeper and has a pretty decent range while keeping everything in harmony)

Here are ten of my current favorites:

Freddie Mercury (I know Queen aren't excactly 'metal', but he's the best singer I've ever heard.)
Rob Halford (The best screamer in metal. Ever.)
Ronnie James Dio (My main inspiration when it comes to singing.)
Russell Allen (God I love his voice, he is one of the main reasons I love Symphony X.)
Ian Gillan (More 'hard rock' than metal, still a good singer, though.)
Mark Boals (He can reach all notes reachable, plus he's a decent opera-singer, too.)
Midnight (I've only heard Transcendence from his Crimson Glory days, but his singing is so out-of-this-world on that one, I had to include him.)
Jeff Scott Soto (I've only heard the stuff he did with Yngwie, but his voice is spectacular there.)
David Readman (Judging by Sanctus Ignis, this guy has all the range a man could desire. I haven't heard Underworld yet, but I will order it when it comes to Norway.)
James Labrie (Flame me all you want, his singing on the first Dream Theater albums was outstanding. He blows now, of course.)

hhhhmmmm....

1. Russel Allen ( Symphony X)
2. Hansi Kursch (Blind Guardian)
3. Zak Stevens ( Ex-Savatage, Circle II Circle)
4. Warrel Dane (Nevermore)
5. Geoff Tate (Queensryche)
6. The singer for Fates Warning
7. Tom S. Englund (Evergrey)
8. Roy Khan (Kamelot)

My mind froze :zombie: , that'll be it for now

holy cow

how come no one mentioned Michael Kiske ?
I hope it's because he "left" metal

anyway, my FAVORITES are:

Andre Matos (Shaman, ex-Angra)
Michael Kiske (Supared, ex-Helloween)
Russell Allen (Symphony X)
Edu Falaschi (Angra)

Yeah, the main reason I love Mikael's voice is cause he can do both gorwl and clean very well. And I agree with Zach, WHERE IS BARLOW?! Damn he's gone for a few months and everybody already forgets about him. My favorites...

Matt Barlow
Russell Allen
Corey Brown
Cristina Scabbia
Bruce Dickinson
Roy Khan
Warrel Dane
Mikael Akerfeldt

Well, obviously Russell Allen.

And as for the rest of my personal favorites:

Dan Swanö, for the same reason as Soul of Ice.

James La-You-Know-Who. What can I say? I love the guy's voice.

And I'm really starting to like Lajon from Sevendust.

And Jorn Lande.

Yes, Barlow kicks major ass...\m/

Russell Allen
Matt Barlow
James Labrie (I don't care if you flame me...)
Geoff Tate
Mikael Ankerfeldt
Edu Falaschi
Andy Kuntz (I think that's how you spell his name (Vanden Plas))...

That's all off the top of my head...