why dont dsbm artists kill themselves?

bananskal_123

New Metal Member
Apr 17, 2010
Hello

I love DSBM as music but i dont really understand their views. I just watched One metal on youtube where they interviewed bands like leviathan and xasthur and striborg. I cant understand for example a guy like scott conner or kvarforth why do people like these choose to stay miserable and depressed without just ending it all? It doesnt make any sense to me. Or a guy like kim carlsson from hypothermia who has his entire body and arms full of cuts. And i dont understand why these people choose to glorify suicide or self harm. Well i love the music thats all.

One of them actually said in that exact documentary that he doesn't say in his music that he is going to kill himself, but rather focuses around why you might should kill yourself. In any case, I try not to get too involved with the politics behind these bands. Is the music good? How is the imagery of the albums? Not much else matters =D

I think because they have musical abilities, despite preaching all that stuff, they would rather take all those dark feelings and turn them into art. In other words, i believe they would rather suffer for their art than to turn it all into an act of cowardice.

I know I would.

Because they hate themselves and there's no better way to support self-mutilation than playing black metal.

Because they're just acting. They're not serious. Just like some black metal artists posing as satanists but in fact they're not. It's just part of the music.

Because they're just acting. They're not serious. Just like some black metal artists posing as satanists but in fact they're not. It's just part of the music.

Yup. While there might be a few people who take it seriously, the majority certainly do not. Just like with Death Metal, bands like Devourment or Cannibal Corpse don't actually want to decapitate or maul anyone.

True. More bands are into that shit than you'd expect, however. I know Morbid Angel were really into magick and the occult back in the early days and did rituals before shows. It was David, Trey, and Richard Brunelle that were into it, and Mike Browning when he was still in the band (that's all according to Richard himself). I asked Pete Sandoval about it and he said he had no part in any rituals of any kind and was unaware that it was going on, which is somewhat bull shit because they all got sent to jail back in the early 90's for having guns, occult stuff, and a human skull for rituals on their tour bus. David is a member of the Church of Satan, but he's no theistic satanist like some Black Metal members claim to be.

On a different note, the more suicidal people there is, the less suicidal people there is.

True. More bands are into that shit than you'd expect, however. I know Morbid Angel were really into magick and the occult back in the early days and did rituals before shows. It was David, Trey, and Richard Brunelle that were into it, and Mike Browning when he was still in the band (that's all according to Richard himself). I asked Pete Sandoval about it and he said he had no part in any rituals of any kind and was unaware that it was going on, which is somewhat bull shit because they all got sent to jail back in the early 90's for having guns, occult stuff, and a human skull for rituals on their tour bus. David is a member of the Church of Satan, but he's no theistic satanist like some Black Metal members claim to be.

You think doing fun little "rituals" makes people serious?

Some people thrive on the "tortured soul" martyr complex, but you never know when they're gonna stop. Maybe it's just a matter of time before they off themselves. Maybe for some DSBM bands, it's just a marketing gimmick and they're branding themselves to the depressed, suicidal male crowd. Basically, it depends.

Or maybe you're right. Perhaps they only haven't killed themselves YET, because they think they are still able to create more art? More particularly, for their listeners (US?) SO many possibilities... don't try and oversimplify it.